Another portal? And undead threats.

gamefreak180

So I am thinking of adding an additional small stable portal for Italy ( similar to the ten thunders portal) so that la cosa nostra can be in malifaux as well. Where should this portal be? If i build a Capone inspired character (master level) what should i use for pursuits. would the Vatican get involved in Malifaux affairs with resurrectionists threat? If so would it be some van helsing type characters  (Hugh jackman not bram stoker). Speaking of undead are there stats for the intelligent undead like vampires or something akin to d&ds awakened undead? I saw the zombie swordsman but I'm thinking more than that.  Especially stats or a way to stat a lich would work as well.

• Like 1

Do you have Under Quarantine?  There's an NPC with stats toward the back that's undead, but fully functional mentally.   And now that I think of it, there's also rules for undead players so yea, intelligent undead is totally possible.  

Then again, I've met players that have trouble playing intelligent anything, so your mileage may vary.  :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, gamefreak180 said:

So going with the mafia angle what would someone need to steal to stabilize a portal?

Nothing that I know of, so something really rare and powerful. Let's call it a McGuffin'.
Supposing the McGuffin' exists, it would attract immediate attention from all the major players in Malifaux, so it means the guy/girl who has it needs to be really careful about who s/he speeks about the McGuffin'. 
If I had to guess, only Zoraida or Titania might know of suck McGuffin'.

So I know who titania is (undead neverborn queen right?) But who is zoraida?

Burning man cult is an interesting angle.

The guild's main office on earth is in England right? I thought of something else that may work as well and that would be a tome or blueprints for the device that the guild uses to keep it's portal open/stable  or same could be said for ten thunders if (think double cross scenario)

39 minutes ago, gamefreak180 said:

So I know who titania is (undead neverborn queen right?) But who is zoraida?

Burning man cult is an interesting angle.

The guild's main office on earth is in England right? I thought of something else that may work as well and that would be a tome or blueprints for the device that the guild uses to keep it's portal open/stable  or same could be said for ten thunders if (think double cross scenario)

Zoraida: earth born human that impressed Lilith enough to where Lilith actually respects her. A swamp-themed Baba Yaga.

The Guild's England office is probably closed indefinitely. When the whole Burning Man thing happened, the King's Empire decided to start taking matters into their own hands. Earthside Guild influence is starting to wane. The breach itself they'll have that kind of information at (Western U.S. if I recall correctly). It will be a closely and jealously guarded secret, however. Earthside history has lots of little breaches opening up around the world, some more stable than others. That's how Zoraida ended up in Malifaux, and that's how Abyssinia got ahold of Soulstones before they were cool. With the Tyrant's flight from the Grave Spirit and Titania, there's also a number of other interesting thin spots between Earth and Malifaux that could be exploited.

Here's where you, as Fatemaster, get your mafia/theft hooks even if you've got a demented lore monkey in your group:

• Controlled portal creation device (Darlin approach to unravelling the Cult of the Burning Man members' abilities) per Mason's reference. Added bonus: it has a precedent in the Penny Dreadful adventure.
  • A tome that contains predictions on when and where portals will open up, as well as for how long and estimated size. So far the tome has been accurate enough to aid events.
  • A fixed location in Italy that has historically been a site of worship and prayer, regardless of faith/tradition involved. It turns out that there's a specific ritual that can activate a portal, but at considerable enough cost where it's only done in emergencies, and various traditions have some variant of that ritual built int their practices.
On 9/16/2017 at 5:30 AM, gamefreak180 said:

So I am thinking of adding an additional small stable portal for Italy ( similar to the ten thunders portal) so that la cosa nostra can be in malifaux as well. Where should this portal be? If i build a Capone inspired character (master level) what should i use for pursuits. would the Vatican get involved in Malifaux affairs with resurrectionists threat? If so would it be some van helsing type characters  (Hugh jackman not bram stoker). Speaking of undead are there stats for the intelligent undead like vampires or something akin to d&ds awakened undead? I saw the zombie swordsman but I'm thinking more than that.  Especially stats or a way to stat a lich would work as well.

Would the Vatican get involved? Check out Wave 5 Guild offerings. There's some undead hunters out the Iberian Peninsula in the Guild ranks (Domador de Cadaveres).

14 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Zoraida: earth born human that impressed Lilith enough to where Lilith actually respects her. A swamp-themed Baba Yaga.

The Guild's England office is probably closed indefinitely. When the whole Burning Man thing happened, the King's Empire decided to start taking matters into their own hands. Earthside Guild influence is starting to wane. The breach itself they'll have that kind of information at (Western U.S. if I recall correctly). It will be a closely and jealously guarded secret, however. Earthside history has lots of little breaches opening up around the world, some more stable than others. That's how Zoraida ended up in Malifaux, and that's how Abyssinia got ahold of Soulstones before they were cool. With the Tyrant's flight from the Grave Spirit and Titania, there's also a number of other interesting thin spots between Earth and Malifaux that could be exploited.

Here's where you, as Fatemaster, get your mafia/theft hooks even if you've got a demented lore monkey in your group:

• Controlled portal creation device (Darlin approach to unravelling the Cult of the Burning Man members' abilities) per Mason's reference. Added bonus: it has a precedent in the Penny Dreadful adventure.
  • A tome that contains predictions on when and where portals will open up, as well as for how long and estimated size. So far the tome has been accurate enough to aid events.
  • A fixed location in Italy that has historically been a site of worship and prayer, regardless of faith/tradition involved. It turns out that there's a specific ritual that can activate a portal, but at considerable enough cost where it's only done in emergencies, and various traditions have some variant of that ritual built int their practices.

Would the Vatican get involved? Check out Wave 5 Guild offerings. There's some undead hunters out the Iberian Peninsula in the Guild ranks (Domador de Cadaveres).

Bright side just me and my fiancee ( i am going to make a fated character  myslef so i learn that part of the system too) playing so no lore monkies there, we know little of the setting and what I know comes from 2e core book. So I am looking at the easiest route that I could go. 

Where could I find wave 5? 

Would zoraida be in the bayou book?

Just now, gamefreak180 said:

Bright side just me and my fiancee ( i am going to make a fated character  myslef so i learn that part of the system too) playing so no lore monkies there, we know little of the setting and what I know comes from 2e core book. So I am looking at the easiest route that I could go. 

Where could I find wave 5? 

The book was made available during GenCon, but if you're patient they might show up in the Monday Previews section some time, otherwise if you're looking for look-and-feel alone think of the Mexican dia de los muertos costumes with skull face paint, wide-brimmed hat with tassels, bright colors, etc.. When I get home I'll double-check their background fluff to make sure I have their country/region of origin correct in my Iberian assertion above.

On 9/22/2017 at 7:12 PM, gamefreak180 said:

Would zoraida be in the bayou book?

Zoraida is mentioned and talked about in Into the Bayou, but she doesn't have a stat block there (primarily because she's a Master, and very strong). However, her stat block does appear in the "No Strings Attached" and "The Hand That Feeds" Penny Dreadfuls.

9 hours ago, Mason said:

Zoraida is mentioned and talked about in Into the Bayou, but she doesn't have a stat block there (primarily because she's a Master, and very strong). However, her stat block does appear in the "No Strings Attached" and "The Hand That Feeds" Penny Dreadfuls.

Sweet I was hoping for more fluff related to get so I can make her a potential plot point.