Viktoria obliteration

mojopin

Hi, yesterday mi Reva was punched to death by a charging vicky (along with my emissary and poor sebastian) she hit 2 times every target killing those three models in one activation. I thought the charging lane was safe but he managed to move one of my models with taelor and killed other one. When I wanted to react it was to late and my band was dead with just 2 whirlwinds (reva suffered red joker on damage in the second attack).

I know that they should have been more than 5' away of each other but sometimes buildings and other obstacles make it very difficult and in any case ony losing reva was bad enough. Is there any other way In resser faction to face those extra long extra deadly charges?. I guess I could use always Kirai or Molly against outcast and killy schemes expecting the viktorias? Any other idea with other masters?.

I love Molly but I'm not sure she's that much better than anyone else vs Viks. Their high minimum damage is bad news for Molly, not good. Her Df trigger is great but it will cost you so many cards and her crew will still disappear all around her. She's also short ranged so if she wants to influence the game she'll be in range for a charge.

Reva is fine. Free Corpse Candles spawning 8' out to block charge lanes and engage Vik of Blood is good, adding Disguised to friendlies is even better. Add Decaying Aura and you'll take out either Vik in 2-3AP. 

Take 2x My Little Helper on Emissary and Yin. Yin's probably the best thing to roadblock with, even though she will most likely die, since Taelor's hammer and Mark of Shezuul ignore most defenses, but neither of them ignore Mass of Viscera. She should survive a single charge from one of them if she wasn't softened up earlier.

An Ashigaru here is nice too, if either Vik Charge you they'll take 4 damage (which is more than half of each Vik's wounds).

1 hour ago, hydranixx said:

Take 2x My Little Helper on Emissary and Yin. Yin's probably the best thing to roadblock with, even though she will most likely die, since Taelor's hammer and Mark of Shezuul ignore most defenses, but neither of them ignore Mass of Viscera. She should survive a single charge from one of them if she wasn't softened up earlier.

I think Vik of blood stands a chance of taking Yin on the charge because she has a built in :+fate to hit, her odds also improve if she moved far enough away to get that positive to damage as well.  And stands a high chance if they used the spell that gives the Viks +2 damage.  You are right that it is better to deny the Vik the ability to charge with engaging and disguise.

Ashigaru are an oddity.  At a glance that 4 wds looks like a good deterrent but you might be setting up the hurt by putting models in the bubble for the protection.  A Vik player might be okay taking that 4 damage if it means killing 2-3 models, more so as the Vik can SS the damage and heals 1/2/3 after it kills that first model.

Actually, yeah you're right about Yin taking a charge, I was thinking of the 3 minimum damage, but it's possibly Vik's at 5 instead! If charged (though depending on My Little Helper usage this might be impossible) Yin could easily die if 2 hits connect. Still, I think the trade-off is worth it. All Yin is here for against Viks is to buy time for Reva to murder them. Mass of Viscera and Terrifying (12) are just tiny extra hurdles for them to go through.

The Ashigaru would ideally be standing about 4-5" ahead of the crew. I wouldn't try protect others with his aura so much as putting a painful model out front to either take the charge or block off the area around him. Also his (1) Charge(s) make him a reasonably valid threat even to a full wound Vik if they do manage to get past him. 

All this said, it's hard to know what master you're against. Outcasts have so many powerful masters and diverse playstyles that while tailored list building might help out vs Viks, it could very easily be kind of wasted vs anyone else.

If you build Reva with a more 'generic' crew to handle schemes and strats that Reva is typically good at, and only see that they've declared Viks afterwards... you need to work with what you have hired rather than what is ideal.

Perhaps one option is to play super cagey the first turn, deploying very far back with the most important pieces, holding onto any My Little Helper actives for turn 2, with Emissary and Reva going last to put your first Corpse Candle in a spot that will be helpful next turn, and so that your Shards of Kythera can do the maximum to close off the Viks's players optimal route.

I like to think about what could have been done better with the models in your crew. If your crew selection was different, you might have experienced the problem in a different way but still not had an answer. Generally I believe this game comes down to positioning and knowledge. Did you know Taelor could move your models? If not, you learned something to be aware of next game.

It does sound like you tried to manage the charge lanes, which is great. One thing that took me a while to learn is where to place the shards from the Emissary. Did you place them in front of the Viks where they could walk around and still charge? I find it's often better to drop them in front of your crew where the Viks can't reach or see your vital targets.

Also mentioned above was the corpse candles 0 action to give out disguised. This mixed with MLH will really shut down the Viks charging options.

Don't worry about the model you could of had. Think about what models you did have could have helped with your problem.

• Like 3