New Hoffman

Fazza92

Hi all,at first...why we don't have a sticked topic for every our masters?

at second...I want play the new Hoffman...

with Cyborg upgrade...but How I start?

what pieces work well with it?

Frank with Nimble or Frank with auto:ram?

Abuela with power Loop to support Peacekeeper?or to support Emissary?

I've tried Cyborg Sidir with promises + Ryle + Guardian.

It look interesting Ryle with Sh 7 with inbuild :+fate or MI 7 with :+fate under promises but very expensive and slow. You needs two 2CC ups (for Cyborg and for Modifications) plus you need to take (1)AP to loop all them.  

P.S. promises + new hofman's jump looks very interesting, his mi attack have good damage thanks to power loop and promises it can have MI 7 with :+fate. It looks pretty tough

I think Frank can have both. The cyborg upgrade gives the model itself an action to attack an upgrade which I think doesn't mention restrictions so if you attack them in the right order you can have two on a cyborg.

I don't think there's a finished playbook for this, the upgrade isn't even properly released. What upgrade you want on him will also depend on the game and position of the board. In headhunter or something it's really good to make a beater nimble so it can kill with an attack, walk for free and pick the head up. In some situations you might already be in combat so getting more damage on each attack when you flurry will be better than being nimble. The good thing is you can choose what you want to do.

Hoffman can give extra ap so I think any piece will work really well. Power looping for ml or sh 7 will depend on what you plan to use for the rest of your list. Abuela giving sh 7 to a couple of hunters would make them truly terrifying, they have the same gun as the peacekeeper but a lower sh stat. They also gain :+fate to unactivated models so you can shoot into cover and slow stuff that hasn't gone yet in a turn.

I'm usually a bigger fan of the peacekeeper than the emissary but it comes down to what you want it to do. The peacekeeper hits a lot harder in melee and Hoffman can get it there easily. The emissary isn't really a beater, it can hurt some chaff if the enemy positions badly but it's mostly a control and buff piece in my experience.

5 minutes ago, Rostislav said:

I think that taking Cyborg upgrades for Hoffman is worse than bring construct based army.

There are several unique and powerful abilities that simply can't be found on constructs, so this is definitely not true always. Although, the inverse is not always true either.

Only new what cyborgs can give to constructs - it's SH 7. I don't think it is a great advantage, cool but not great. 
And Rostislav is right, Power loop condition doesn't work properly on cyborgs.

So, now I'm thinking about how to play without Power loop :) . Creates 2-3 cyborgs and spend all AP's to Machine Puppet. Use Power loop only on one model from Hoffman's ability to buff this stats.

1 hour ago, Fazza92 said:

Hi all,at first...why we don't have a sticked topic for every our masters?

at second...I want play the new Hoffman...

with Cyborg upgrade...but How I start?

what pieces work well with it?

Frank with Nimble or Frank with auto:ram?

Abuela with power Loop to support Peacekeeper?or to support Emissary?

A cyborg grimwell did great for me in symbols of authority.  I also really like cyborg mounted guard.   

The two I want to try are cyborg papa loco and cyborg Sam Hopkins.  Two models which love a little extra movement or extra actions.  

31 minutes ago, Rostislav said:

I think that basic Hoffman + ignore ignore armor + (0) 6" placement + extra Armor is stronger

Is it just ignoring "ignore armor" or it is also ignoring all kinds of "ignor damage reductions"?

27 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

Only new what cyborgs can give to constructs - it's SH 7. I don't think it is a great advantage, cool but not great. 
And Rostislav is right, Power loop condition doesn't work properly on cyborgs.

So, now I'm thinking about how to play without Power loop :) . Creates 2-3 cyborgs and spend all AP's to Machine Puppet. Use Power loop only on one model from Hoffman's ability to buff this stats.

Power Loop is basically a trap. Very few models benefit enough from it to merit spending AP on it. Machine Puppet or attaching upgrades is what you want to spend 90% of your ap on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Power Loop is basically a trap. Very few models benefit enough from it to merit spending AP on it. Machine Puppet or attaching upgrades is what you want to spend 90% of your ap on.

Hoffman + Emissary + Peacekeeper + Langston.

Make power loop turn 1 and they all have Def 6 WP 6 Mi 7 till the end of turn 2

And you dont really need power loop for already high stats guild henchmen and some enforсers. The thing is you now can machine pupper Frank and Phiona for their placing shenaningans, make out of activation Flaming bullets with Sam, stack multiples of modifications on the same model (Nimble +2 Armor Queeg with Promises is my favorite right now). There are plenty of opportunities. All you need is couple of actions to prepare turn 1. Seems nice enough.

1 minute ago, Rostislav said:

And why would I want that? Emissary doesn't really use it's Ml most of the time and neither does Hoffman. Boosting the Df of Hoff and Howard by 1 is not all that useful either. Statistically the difference is very small. The Peacekeeper is the only one who siginificantly benefits from this arrangement statwise, but he's very durable either way, so he doesn't really need the added survivability from higher stats and the difference between Ml 6 and 7 is small. The higher defences help protect against conditions, but condition removal does that even better. Peacekeeper is also very slow, so he benefits more from Hoffman helping him actually hit something than boosting his stats.

Just now, Myyrä said:

And why would I want that? Emissary doesn't really use it's Ml most of the time and neither does Hoffman. Boosting the Df of Hoff and Howard by 1 is not all that useful either. Statistically the difference is very small. The Peacekeeper is the only one who siginificantly benefits from this arrangement statwise, but he's very durable either way, so he doesn't really need the added survivability from higher stats and the difference between Ml 6 and 7 is small. The higher defences help protect against conditions, but condition removal does that even better. Peacekeeper is also very slow, so he benefits more from Hoffman helping him actually hit something than boosting his stats.

May be because this build allows you to get 3 heavy hitters in the opponent half on the table on turn 1.

I will often kill the malifaux child after looking in a guardian to get to the def 6 ml 7 for hoff and my looped model, but except in rare occassions I hate hate hate spending hoff actions to loop other models.   Compared to extra actions it never feels useful, and now that I want to spend actions cyborging as well, it is even less so.

That being said, enjoy your play style.  If it is working for you, keep it going, and I hope you wreck face with it.

1 hour ago, Rostislav said:

And you have maybe 5 models in your army?  That list would get out activated and destroyed hard.   I believe the term for that is cute.  It will work once and then never again.