Getting off my Alpha Strike Crutch

4thstringer

Just now, hydranixx said:

Can you post the list you used? I've heard of the infamous double rogue necro, but triple rogue necro.... ooooh :)

Archie is good at soaking resources but I agree with @mojopin - he just doesn't have the killy factor to one-man it. Ml 6 really sucks on a 13ss model if your purpose is to explicitly murder things. With Molly, a Rogue Necro and Mortimer+Crooligan though, that gets pretty close to an alpha strike. It's still more about tying the enemy crew up for a few turns than just killing keys models. 

Until recently I've firmly believed Ressurs (Molly aside) were pretty feeble at alpha striking, but with Kentauroi I think this will change substantially. 

Guild? Eh, I feel like a Guild player can play Lucius or Nellie and win through tricks and good micro without resorting to alpha striking? Assuming you want a slightly more challenging game, that is?

McMourning with both new upgrades, domador, belle, 3 rogue necros with debt to the guild iirc

15 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Sorry to reVisit this but I realized that you don't have to alpha with perdita.  Her trick bullets and faster than you is a decent alpha strike discourager too.  Especially if you are in jury's 6" bubble.

That's a good point.  I used to use Faster Than You when I started with Perdita, but I got distracted by other stuff (killing things and obeying!).  I have the Jury coming soon, I will get her on the table ASAP and get back to FTY to try and dent some of my opponents' alpha strikes.

Thanks again! :)

So without changing the thread too much...

i think there is quite a bit behind your original question. Is it you feel there is nothing to do after your alpha strike, or is it you are looking to delay this to be more effective later? There is a bit or an art keeping people alive and then wiping out 60+% of a crew in one turn

53 minutes ago, HowNot2Wargame said:

So without changing the thread too much...

i think there is quite a bit behind your original question. Is it you feel there is nothing to do after your alpha strike, or is it you are looking to delay this to be more effective later? There is a bit or an art keeping people alive and then wiping out 60+% of a crew in one turn

Tbh I'm looking to not leave my opponents feeling helpless.  So maybe playing control. 

7 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Tbh I'm looking to not leave my opponents feeling helpless.  So maybe playing control. 

Well, Guild is pretty terrible at playing control without killing the opposition, so at least you won't be making your opponents feel hopeless.

On the topic of Ressers, It's worth noting that with their access to consistent lures (which guild now have access to as well with everyone's favorite spaniards) they can pull off an anti-alpha strike - A technique my friend has so lovingly dubbed the Flytrap.

Take a cornerpiece model of theirs, drag it in with lures and such, then jump on it with your killy models - flurrying Peacekeeper, anyone?

While it might get similar complaints of unfairness or uninteractivity, killing one or two models a turn feels a lot less bad than losing 4 or 5. Plus, you'll be able to give some guild masters that don't get the spotlight often a chance to shine - McCabe or Lady J could certainly use more table time. Melee guild doesn't get enough love (outside of Francisco and Phiona, of course.)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@RhiaCat

McCabe is by no means weak. I had to ban myself from playing him because he always felt like the best choice for me.

I've never had much luck with him personally - I most commonly play against neverborn and he can die to a stiff breeze against that faction. He's always seemed pretty good, but I've never had much luck myself.

Plus it's hard to justify playing him when Nellie is so much better at Crew Support. :P

49 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

@RhiaCat

McCabe is by no means weak. I had to ban myself from playing him because he always felt like the best choice for me.

Not since Nellie - I loved to play him before she came out, but for me it feels like she fills a similar role (maybe not by making models better per se, but taking good models to start with through her Merc thing and supporting them) and I stopped using him.

Might also be that I just envy the possibilities he has in TT and don't want to play "second tier" McCabe^^

I don't play McCabe, but I agree that McCabe isn't weak, and he was one of the few masters guild had (Nellie really being the other one) that didn't hate GG2017.   I had a friend who gave me fits with McCabe in gg2016, and did decently (top 1/3 I think) soloing him in Nova that year.  Like nellie, he brought good activation control, support and speed to a faction that desperately needed it.  I'm not sure he was better than Nellie at anything, but part of that is that Nellie was pretty much the ur-guild master.  That doesn't make him bad though.