Fated to run this.

gamefreak180

So just grabbed through the breach 2nd edition today and I have some questions. 

What is the weird mushroom cloud looking symbol found on certain damage tracks.

I noticed some tn have suits next to them does that mean if the suit is not pulled it fails or give extra effects?

With no rules for neverborn/bayou available to me if a player pulls one of the jokers when drawing their station should it be skipped and re pulled?

Is there a rule of thumb for rewarding script? (Couldn't find it I'm the book)

Is there a recommend cap for pursuit steps where anything beyond that is "epic" level. 

Finally  (for now) how do you determine the proper rank of an enemy for a given group of adventures also is it anything like d&ds cr?

1 hour ago, gamefreak180 said:

What is the weird mushroom cloud looking symbol found on certain damage tracks.

It's a blast damage. It means the target gets the full damages and the guys around (friends and foes) gets the one before the "/".

I noticed some tn have suits next to them does that mean if the suit is not pulled it fails or give extra effects?

Yep

With no rules for neverborn/bayou available to me if a player pulls one of the jokers when drawing their station should it be skipped and re pulled?

Up to you. It may also mean the character has been raised by neverborns/gremelins.

Is there a rule of thumb for rewarding script? (Couldn't find it I'm the book)

Usualy we got enough to improve to buy a piece of gear but not enough to get all what we want.

Finally  (for now) how do you determine the proper rank of an enemy for a given group of adventures also is it anything like d&ds cr?

You have the rank peon, minion, enforcer, henchman, master and a number besides that tells you what the total score of the ennemy is.
A classic encounter set up is 1 minion per player +1 enforcer for an easy/medium encounter depending of your party's fighting skills.

• Like 1

For scrip a rule of thumb I have adopted is to look at three things; what else the Fated can get out of it, What the list of wages of the Services on page 249 look like, and take a look at some of the Chronicle one shots.  I will also say I am not making them pay for their room and board for the most part *they can do odd jobs to keep on their feet between adventures*.  Only if they do something bad and have to go into hiding will that become an issue.

If the adventure is going to net them plenty of looking chances I will be more inclined to give less strait scrip reward.  I know some of the people I deal with regularly are notorious scavengers.  They take out several thugs and they will loot them bare before pressing on.  Now my latest group is not the worse I have played with but I fully suspect they are going to be pretty bad.  They might leave stuff with the Guild symbol on it, or clearly cursed looking things, but they will take all the bullets, melee weapons, guns, and anything that looks remotely valuable off people otherwise.

Also involves the what sort of job they expected to be doing when they were hired or recruited *if they were* plus who is doing the payout.  A farmer is not going to have a lot of scrip on hand to pay out 10 per player.  Might offer something in turn, like food and promises to made up the difference.  Also if they are hired for a simple lookout job and it becomes something more then the original pay would not likely be much *they might be able to barter it higher afterwards*.

A lot of the one shots seem to range from 10 scrip per person to 30 scrip per group.  But they also have ones that the reward is not in money but getting out of a jam so there is the flip side.  Largely in the end though it will be up the the Fatemaster on how they want to run things. 

• Like 2

Think about it this way, there are 54 cards in a deck, they range from 0-14 in value.  If you add them all up and average it out it comes out to 7.  Enforcers tend to have 7-8 as their rank bonus.  Which means unless the players stats are equal to their defense they are at a disadvantage to hit and defend.  While the players have a control hand, it is a limited resource as unlike a normal game of Malifaux it does not automatically refresh itself.  They have to have stuff happen to draw more cards and half of their personal deck is below that 7 value mark to begin with.  Simply put the Fatemaster's NPC have consistency on their side.

So it becomes a balancing game.  You have to look at what your players stats are and get an idea what you think they can handle in a fight.  That is one of the reason I collect and hold onto the sheets after sessions, so I can reference this stuff.  I can take a look at their AV for their preferred attacks and see what they can likely hit, how much damage they inflict on hit, look at their defenses and wound count to see what they can take, and go from there.  If you have 5 players and they all went pretty combat heavy then they can likely take down 5 enforcers because of the Burst Factor *IE they can cheat early, team up on a single Enforcer to drag them down, then move on*.  They have an advantage early on if they can reduce the number of enemies.  If you have 5 players and two are non-combat characters and one is a support, then 5 enforcers might be a serious problem.  Someone with Df3 against a Ml5 or 6 plus the 7 rank needs a 10 or 11 to avoid any damage.  They are going to have a hard time dodging more than a few swings and if they also have only 5 wounds and the enforcers have a weak of 2 damage, they will not be able to take very many hits before the critical effects start mounting.

It is a balancing act you have to make with your players in mind.

• Like 4

Knuckledusters make it so that you're more likely to get good damage results from hitting with a Pugilism or Martial Arts attack. Things like this should also be on the Fatemaster's radar when trying to figure out what a crew of Fated can handle (the balancing act that @EnternalVoid mentioned), as they don't change the damage track and may or may not be applicable to the fight. The same Fated character that can knock out 2-3 Enforcers before being in trouble when using force multipliers like Knuckledusters might not hold up so well against a pair of them without.

There are other things to be mindful of, including abilities, powers, and triggers that give bonus actions or shape the battlefield in unusual ways. The group's brawler gaining fast or being pushed into melee range prior to acting (thus allowing them to flurry) can be extremely dangerous to opponents on the field. On the same token, their being hit with Slow, not having cards to discard for abilities, or being hit with other interesting conditions can make them about as threatening as a pillow fight--that is, it'll take an unusual amount of effort on their part and bad luck on your part to get seriously injured.

Good to know so my fiance is looking through the book and I noticed she likes the wicked dolls is there a way to have one as a companion like a construct or thugs also a way to make them? Which book is the animal companion general talent (or from pursuit) in?

Who are the weird puppet/marionette dudes in the core book

31 minutes ago, gamefreak180 said:

Good to know so my fiance is looking through the book and I noticed she likes the wicked dolls is there a way to have one as a companion like a construct or thugs also a way to make them? Which book is the animal companion general talent (or from pursuit) in?

To have a Wicked Doll as a Wicked Doll will take some work--but you can start a 2E Fated as a Tinkerer and have a single construct as a "companion" to start with. If you go down this rabbit hole with your fiance, it's possible to eventually have that construct be almost exactly like a Wicked Doll. Which puppet/marionettes are you referring to?

7 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

To have a Wicked Doll as a Wicked Doll will take some work--but you can start a 2E Fated as a Tinkerer and have a single construct as a "companion" to start with. If you go down this rabbit hole with your fiance, it's possible to eventually have that construct be almost exactly like a Wicked Doll. Which puppet/marionettes are you referring to?

How would the tinker work with just the 2e book. And for the marionette guys pg 312/313 of the 2e core book  the big ones 

Is there anymore info or stats for tyrants? Or even pursuits related to them

17 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

I'll get back to you with a detailed response once I get home and have my book in hand.

For a placeholder: Tinkerer in the new set of rules starts the game with a single construct that costs 25 script or less to build using the included construct creation rules.

That part I can work with but more like what abilities and weapons I should go for?  Good chance it may be in the neverborn book?

The puppets on 312 are Collodi (master puppet) and several Marionettes (stats for the Marionettes are on page 371), 313 is his Henchman Vasilia and several more Marionettes. Wicked Dolls have NPC stats on page 372, so you can see what their weapons are and how they work. What you'll end up needing to do as Fatemaster is determine the cost to the Fated to acquire similar weapons for the construct. As for all of their abilities--construct construction doesn't grant access to those abilities, but you as Fatemaster can use your discretion to reward the Tinkerer's Fate advancement(s) for completing Fate steps with manifested powers.

At creation of a Fated Tinkerer, the limitation of 25 script means that the most number of Construction Points that can be used (no weapons) is 3. If you want to arm the puppet, you'll end up with less Construction Points. At Height 1, you'll max out construction with Artefacting 3. To start giving ranks in Skills, you'll want Engineering (2 at creation lets you grant skills with no loss).

Fated created constructs will essentially never be quite like Wicked Dolls or Marionettes, but Fated Tinkerers can get close enough with enough Artefacting, Engineering, and a Grimoire with suitable Enchanting spells and Magia to bump stats.

14 hours ago, gamefreak180 said:

You could also take the Sycophant Talent from Into the Steam, if you just want a friendly puppet to hang out with.

12 hours ago, gamefreak180 said:

How hard would it be to homebrew pursuits? Just because I may want to make anything dealing with the dolls ( including marionette and the one that looks like oogie boogie) a pursuit. Or patiently wait for the nightmare book and hope it has stuff for it in there and if not allow me to do so accurately. 

Please share if you do! That sounds amazing!

8 hours ago, CrazyCatLadeh said:

Please share if you do! That sounds amazing!

Definitely will do. Also looking at magic related to this as well thinking of a new set of magic for it. Thinking of calling the magic nytemare  (or however the tyrant is spelled) weaving. I will be able to give more detail about it later