5 models, 50 points

Somnicide

So I ran this list and expected to get stomped but it actually turn out pretty decent.

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Titania + 7 Pool
- An Audience With The Queen (1)
- Behold My Glory (1)
- Righteous Indignation (1)
Nekima (13)
- Malifaux Provides (1)
- Fears Given Form (1)
Cyclops (8)
- A Thousand Faces (1)
Mature Nephilim (11)
- A Thousand Faces (1)
Rougarou (8)

Faced a McCabe list with 4 hounds, emissary, yasunori, Luna, and a 10t bro. 

Putting armor in the cyclops and mature made them extremely resilient to Yas alpha strike and had I not forgotten to switch into Retribution's Eye would have killed yas in 1.

anyway, who else has run low count Neverborn and how it worked out.

• Like 2

That is surprising it worked so well being that far behind in activation count. He has free movement of McCabe, Emissary, Yas, and the brother after you're activated (assuming he burns 5 activations with hounds and Luna). He could easily put a reactivating brother and Yas right where he wants them. I think I would have dropped the mature for 2-3 models. 

To answer your question though, no. I haven't been able to win with 5! 

What was the setup (strat, schemes etc)? Also what schemes did you both pick?

I've won reckoning games with six activations I think, not sure I've ever had only five and won.

How on earth did you get to attack Yas turn one? Or do you mean a single turn/activation after turn one?

• Like 1

Okay I have a few more minutes to write so here is the quick and dirty.

We were trying out a new 2018 strategy - the critical information one. Our pool was Dig Their Graves, Claim Jump, Accusation, Covert Breakthrough and Undercover Entourage, so it looked doable. The basic for the strat is you have to be engaged (or 1" can't remember atm) from an enemy model and do a 1 interact to give yourself the Critical Information condition. You only lose this condition if you take sever damage. At the end of the turn whoever has the most critical info gets the strat point and they reset.

I totally forgot about Fears Given Form on Nekima for the entirety of the game. 

There was a decent sized impassible building in the middle and we were doing Flank deployment.

Dig their Graves is easy enough for Titania, as is Undercover Entourage (but I screwed up and marked Covert Breakthrough on my phone, so had to switch my plan mid game when I realized that). 

Table looked like (forgive the only primed models, they are all new):

img_1007.jpg

Turn 1 was jockeying for position. Yasunori got a charge on an armor 2 (thanks to Ancient Pact) Mature Nephilim who survived it.

Turn 2, critically, I lost initiative, but then my opponent flipped black joker for Yasunori and paralyzed him. I did a flurry but forgot to switch into Eye of Retribution, so instead of killing him, I left him on 3. McCabe's Emissary threw him something and pushed him out of the way with the trigger. I was able to dig their graves on a dog who got too close after getting some critical information from his name tag or something. The 10t brother spent the whole game getting claim jump. Nekima got a 6" push when titania discarded 3 scheme markers and then she chased down Luna and another dog (who ran for a couple of turns back into his deployment zone, which was okay with me because...

Turn 3 was when I noticed I needed to change tactics for the second strat, rather than she could work on easily getting Undercover Entourage with Titania. The Mature neph wasn't as lucky this time around and Yas put him in the dirt. The cyclops charged something , probably a dog, killed it (but it was about a quarter inch out of dig their graves so I missed that point reminding me to always, always, ALWAYS premeasure) and put down an ice wall between the temple and the crates on the left side middle in the picture above blocking off a huge area.

Turn 4 Yasunori did yasunori things and killed the rougarou after something (probably a dog) had gotten critical information from it. I think this turn we tied on the strategy.

Turn 5 He got all of his Covert Breakthrough and claim jump and 2 strategy points, I ended up with 2 graves, 2 points for Covert Breakthrough, and 2 for the strategy. So it was a loss that could easily have been a tie or even a win with a couple of different choices on my part. 

There were some cool things that happened along the way midgame I just can't remember exactly when. Some of those highlights were: Cyclops casting the slow rune on Yasunori and also killed a dog that was down to 1 with a different rune on the same turn, after beating it down to 1 and getting critical information for it's actions. Another turn the Cyclops healed up from 1 wound back to 5 with a combination of discarding at the start of the turn and then casting a healing rune (might have been a devoured scheme marker, can't remember 100%) but going from 1 back to 5 was a big deal. Also, the nice thing with that is 5 is the magic number for Cyclops RAAAAGE, and he did some work. Also, I find that I like Yasunori a whole lot more when I am the one running him. Also, with Promises on the field you can't really grant audiences so well, I think in the future, especially against McCabe I will take the Forest Claims All or whatever it is to get scheme markers when I kill stuff near titania.

Anyway, that's the general flow of the game. It was my first game using Nekima and I wasn't sure about how to use her (I know, point, click, kill but it takes some getting used to) so I am sure I misplayed her using her to run down dogs and then be a glorified scheme runner. Next iteration of this list the Rougarou will likely become an Autumn Knight just to help with the free scheme marker placements and eventually maybe a bultungin when they come out. 

edit: also, I was considering adding either Angel Eyes or Hans for some ranged threat rather than running people down and placing them. 

• Like 4

@Somnicide Thank you for that writeup, sounds intense! Fun combination of needing to kill and keep stuff alive, too bad you didn't pick the schemes you thought. Your opponent didn't use the Yasinori's obey on a hound with the sabre for min damage four ignoring armour at least once? Seems like it would have been my preferred play. 

Some ranged options seems like it would do good on that board, guild hounds don't like snipers in any shape or form.

• Thanks 1