Ongoing Challenge Core2e

Guyon

Core 2e book had is a quick starter adventure called Bad things happen.  In Scene 3 on page 413 there is an Ongoing Skill Challenges
Target: 8
Duration: 5 minutes
Success Requirement: 2 per Fated
Failure Requirement: 1 per Fated

Reading Ongoing Skill Challenges says all players must participate and each one needs to make 2 successes.  My issue is that  I am going run this with 5-6 players. And if just one of them draws a Black Joker, ace, two (maybe even a 3) the scenario fails.  All we need is one catastrophic fail, right? Or is that 1 catastrophic fail for each player?

And remember: Only Margins of Failure contribute towards the failure requirement (so one MoF for every five points by which the character's final duel total falls below the TN). If they just fail their Duel slightly and without generating any Margin(s) of Failure, nothing happens (the characters don‘t make any progress and might have to try again).

Additionally – please correct me if I’m wrong :huh:– not every Fated has to participate in an Ongoing Challenge (provided that the logic of the Ongoing Challenge or the situation allows it, of course). So characters that are just "dismal" at certain skills may decide to step aside and let the other Fated do the job (useless bummers! :angry:). Or they might have the possibility to "Assist" other characters.

4 hours ago, Didor said:

As far as I know the requirements aren't strictly per player. If you have 5-6 players you will need 10-12 successes total between players, including margins of success. However if your total failures from any player total 5-6 it leads to the catastrophic failure.

Yup, this. So if you're playing with 5 players, they need 5 total failures to trigger the catastrophic failure.

2 hours ago, Hulumulu said:

Additionally – please correct me if I’m wrong :huh:– not every Fated has to participate in an Ongoing Challenge (provided that the logic of the Ongoing Challenge or the situation allows it, of course). So characters that are just "dismal" at certain skills may decide to step aside and let the other Fated do the job (useless bummers! :angry:). Or they might have the possibility to "Assist" other characters.

Most Ongoing Challenges are this way, but there are a few that require everyone to participate (and they specifically note such in their text).