Getting used to Tara and Void Wretches - how can I overcome these issues?

CapnBloodbeard

So, i'm fairly new to Tara, and still getting my head around it all a bit.  I get the Beastie bomb, though I'm still figuring out how to use it effectively.  I've had a couple of games where Tara tends to stand around twiddling her thumbs (once where she was left guarding a stash marker, another where my entire match strategy was 'stay the bejeezus away from McMourning's bubble' - hey, it worked!).

Although, I need to remember that I really don't want to kill enemy models at range with a buried friendly model - twice I've had Bishop or Lazarus be forced to unbury where I really didn't want them to!

I've finding that if she has nothing better to do, handing out fast to her crew is great - although we're just swapping one AP for another.  I'm a fan of that ability where she hands out fast to everybody in range.  

But anyway, I can't seem to get the hang of burying enemy models - especially as, unless I have a death marshal, I can only bury one.  But it's the matter of actually burying them - I have to first win the opposed duel, then the opponent fails a relatively easy simple duel.  I made a stupid high number of attempts against Ironsides once, even giving her fast for the -2WP, still nothing.  So, struggling a bit with that.  

Death Marshals, still getting used to using them - I feel like having them charge is just leaving them well exposed, unless they can pick off an isolated model (Weirdly, one buried Nellie the other week...)

Void wretches I struggle with.  Offence is too weak to have much chance of landing a hit, let along burying anything.  Handing out slow to enemy models seems to be about the only thing I can manage to do with them.  Defence is just way too low, even with incorporeal - especially early in the turn.  

I played a game recently against 3 Jorogumo and McCabe.  Doesn't matter what the rest of the crew was.  My Voidies ran across the base line, but with Jorogumo's pushes, corner deployment and their movement, one got there in turn 1.  Unfortunately, with 3" Ml, he caught all 3.  Meant I had no chance of killing the Jora, because Void Wretches were just fodder for Eat Your Fill.  Kept healing all game long.  What could I have done there - how do you actually make your void wretches useful?  

I was torn between trying to dump cards pointlessly to build their defence, or keeping them to protect my other models and to boost their killing power.  I figured that i didn't want to have fewer cards in my hand than my opponent without my stats being higher...

Burying enemy models is a trap with tara. Never count on them getting buried count on them burning cards  to not get buried.
Bury only yourself and dont count on unreliable enemy-buries. Tara is great inbtw. :-P
Against McMourning i would try  sth like this:
Tara: 4ss, Knowledge of  Eternity, Obliteration Symbiote, Oath keeper
Malifaux Child
Rusty Alyce

Lazarus: Oath keeper
Death Marshall
Abomination
Abomination
Abomination
Abomination

draw/shuffle 2 additional cards for SS turn 1. 
Activate tara first. walk 3 times.
draw card with abomination,
draw card with abomination
draw card with abomination and form desolation engine.
Walk desolation engine.
malifaux child buries lazarus andmake shim fast by copying taras pull the void.
Lazarus relents and if  needed cheats dow on glimpse the void to bury.
Death marshall activates and buries rusty. She relents.
Tara activates again uses oath keeper to walk 2 times into a good shooting position and then unbury rusty alyce and lazarus.
rusty alyce activates and gives reactivate to lazarus.
Lazarus activates, discars a card and can now shoot 4 times through auto fire and fast and heals through its 0.
Lazarus reactivates, discards oath keeper and a card to shoot again 4 times through uto fire and fast and heals through its 0.
Turn 2 you bury and unbury  desoengine intoposition to chainactivate it into whats left... this should help you against mcmournings  poison  bubble as tara ;P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

if you want to voidspam. Ignore the defense grows with less handcard-shenanigans of your crew and focus on the other ways of defense. they cant engage you when they are slow and lack the 2-Ap to charge you. Void wretched can slow for a 0 and tara can slow at range. Dont uderestimate taras slow. Its at Ca 7 and leaves many beater useless if all they can do per round is to make a walk 5 towards you. theycant engage you when you do the incorporeal hiding and running through terrain. they cant shootyou when they cant see you behind terrain.

They cant shoot or charge you when theyve got a Nothingbeast to the face.

Nothing beast is more than your beatstick. Think of it as the tank for your voidwretches.

Dont forget that damage prevention through Soulstoning occurs AFTER reducing the damage by 50% due to incorporeal on the Nothingbeast.

"Scout the field" on nothingbeast lets you deploy the beastbomb even more annoyingly ;)

21 hours ago, DXXXVIII said:

Burying enemy models is a trap with tara. Never count on them getting buried count on them burning cards  to not get buried.
Bury only yourself and dont count on unreliable enemy-buries. Tara is great inbtw. :-P
Against McMourning i would try  sth like this:
Tara: 4ss, Knowledge of  Eternity, Obliteration Symbiote, Oath keeper
Malifaux Child
Rusty Alyce

Lazarus: Oath keeper
Death Marshall
Abomination
Abomination
Abomination
Abomination

draw/shuffle 2 additional cards for SS turn 1. 
Activate tara first. walk 3 times.
draw card with abomination
draw card with abomination and form desolation engine.
Walk desolation engine.
malifaux child buries lazarus andmake shim fast by copying taras pull the void.
Lazarus relents and if  needed cheats dow on glimpse the void to bury.
Death marshall activates and buries rusty. She relents.
Tara activates again uses oath keeper to walk 2 times into a good shooting position and then unbury rusty alyce and lazarus.
rusty alyce activates and gives reactivate to lazarus.
Lazarus activates, discars a card and can now shoot 4 times through auto fire and fast and heals through its 0.
Lazarus reactivates, discards oath keeper and a card to shoot again 4 times through uto fire and fast and heals through its 0.
Turn 2 you bury and unbury  desoengine intoposition to chainactivate it into whats left... this should help you against mcmournings  poison  bubble as tara ;P

This is a super cool list - I can't wait to try this next time I feel some some shootity-shoot!

The Void Wretches are I've found less an offensive model - more a scheme runner with an incredibly frustrating (0) - the giving out slow can be SO powerful sometimes. I've underestimated it more than once and it always comes to bite me. Even sometimes just walking them up once, focusing and using the focus on the Slow attack can be a real pain in the rear to your opponent - throw cards at it! It makes them even better. :)

General plans go thusly:

Void wretches run schemes, or get used for the heal on friendly buried models. Occasionally try and bit buried enemies, otherwise scheme & slow. It's what they do.

Bury 2 things. 1 with a death marshall, and then 1 with Tara (or use killjoy)

Tara runs forward... unburies her friends who then eat things.

From there, it's about re positioning... Tara activates, buries things to keep them safe, then unbury them after everyone else has gone to wreck face in relative safety (knowing you'll probably win initiative).

Karina generally goes for focus, summon, rinse repeat if she's around.

I don't stress about the card draw abom stuff or the void spam...

Cheers,

Mouse

The patented Void Spam list uses the massive amounts of slow to basically neuter your opponent then control the board as you wish.  Scion/Nothing Beast take out that one model that one beater model you need rid of then run around slowing things so that they are pretty much nullified each turn. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 12:17 PM, SirRocketPants said:

With all these strategies... What happens if an enemy sniper or beater or whatever kills a void wretch... Our burried beater will have to unburry where it dies due to how glimpse the void works?

I mean an enemy sniper will have to do 8 damage to kill a void wretch. Not many have that level of damage. Also, void wretches that have already gone have slowed a model near by so it will only have AP for either 1 shot (not killing it) or walk to the void wretch (not killing it). That's what makes them so annoying. If you for instance slow every model your opponent controls, you have denied them a MASSIVE amount of AP. Here's the thing about spam list though. Its not fun to play against and its kinda boring to play. It is HIGHLY competitive though as Travis showed us by getting high placement in a couple tournaments now. 

Don't forget, if you have a list with a lot of void models dependant on a low card count for their defense, you can cheat away bad cards on missed attacks.
For example, you shoot with a death Marshal and miss, it's not worth cheating in one of your good cards, so you can cheat in a 6 or lower just to up the def of your Voidies. 

Also if you are worried about your friendly getting unburied you can instead bury them with a death marshal.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:04 AM, Mrbedlam said:

I mean an enemy sniper will have to do 8 damage to kill a void wretch.

7 Damage will round up to kill a void wretch in 1 shot, but you point is valid, it is difficult to do that amount in 1 ap.