Shenlong Crew - Who of the following to run?

Jolnir

Good day folks,

Bought a 10T lot off a local fellow and was wondering what the best generic combo may be from the below (utilizing Shenlong as the master):

• Shenlong Box
  • Misaki Box
  • 1x Dawn serpent
  • 3x 10t archers
  • 3x Oiran
  • 1x lone swordsman
  • 3x samurai
  • Izamu

I'm not looking for a specific scheme or strat, but want a decent "all-comers" list to try out until I get used to Shenlong. What upgrades do most people prefer?

Shadow Emissary is the next purchase I'm considering.

I'd probably go for

• Shenlong w/ Wandering River Style - 5ss pool
  • Peasant
  • Sensei Yu w/ Promising Disciple
  • Izamu w/ Recalled Training
  • The Lone Swordsman w/ Recalled Training
  • Torakage
  • Torakage

Bit of beating, bit of scheming, bit low on activations but you lack the models I like to use for padding out my lists. Part of me wants to replace Sensei Yu with a pair of Oiran for more bodies on the table, but it's good to learn Shenlong & Sensei interactions early so you can later make up your mind about whether or not to pay 11ss for that lump of superb support.

Izamu could be Ototo or Dawn Serpent but I'd go with the enraged suit of armour for an all comers list. Izamu could also use Equality for added tankiness. Death Contract & False Target are good picks for Izamu & Lone Swordsman if you want to spend the stone for that, doesn't count against their upgrade limit. Could also toss in a Recalled Training for Shenlong, not necessary for him but it's good and Sensei Yu gets to attach it when Shen discards it.

Izamu and TLS kill stuff, Torakage do your scheming and can punch ok if the need arises. Shen & Yu buff everyone to be all they can be and do emergency scheming (both) and punching (Shenlong).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit tougher. Lacking a lot of things I like in a Misaki crew.

Misaki w/ Misdirection, Stalking Bisento, Recalled Training - 4ss pool
Shang
Sensei Yu w/ Wandering River Style
Samurai w/ Favour of Earth
The Lone Swordsman w/ Recalled Training
Torakage
Torakage

Sensei could be using Low River Style instead for a bit more crew support. You lose out on super duper alpha strike potential, but I think it'd be a fair trade. Samurai could use Favour of Jigoku instead to be able to shoot freely, but Earth makes him a better frontline brawler. If you're comfortable with a smaller cache, consider Death Contract & False Target on Misaki/Swordsman/Samurai.

If you've been playing a bunch of Shenlong these past few weeks you might feel very naked for a while. This crew has a lot less support going on. Even Sensei Yu feels powered down since you can't save up conditions turn to turn nor gain them with a copied (0).

• Thanks 1

Given what you have, Shadow Effigy and Monk of Low River. Both are 4ss models. Both buff the crew in some way. Effigy can for 1AP and a 10 let a friendly minion drop a scheme marker and most importantly its Leader buff gives Misaki a condition she can discard whenever targeted by an enemy to give them a -flip. Also ml7 and standard effigy statline (ie. silly durable for cost). Low River gives you access to condition removal (on base card) and healing (upgrade from Generalist deck 2). Both are standard in my Misaki list.

I wouldn't know which to prioritise if on a budget. Both are good in their own way, but Effigy is cheaper $-wise (LRMs are 3 per box and you really need just one). Sensei Yu is basically a super LRM if he uses Low River Style but that comes with the opportunity cost of not using Wandering River Style. LRM do synergise more with Shenlong if you also use the Shadow Emissary, there's bit of a trick with Shenlong's Emissary + LRM drawing three cards per turn.