Tuning down Red Joker on damage

mojopin

Basically, this thread is bouncing around a number of different ways the Jokers interact with the game, but the OP is specifically unhappy with the way the Red Joker interacts with Hard/Impossible to Wound.  It's a frustrating situation because it feels like your ability gave them a bonus.  I think its largely fine as is.  I could see changing it to Severe+1 or 2 damage or something (which doesn't change much but removes a couple extreme spikes) but I think the extra above Severe is fairly important as it messes the the math just a bit in a game that has an exceptionally well controlled damage spread.  The game can trend towards a situation where you get counting attacks you can take based on min damage alone and that extra spike is just enough to create moments where its worth manufacturing a straight flip to cheat in the RJ for a kill that would otherwise be impossible.  HtW itself is kind of a weird ability, as taken in mass it has a lot of weird effects on the game's probability that are often overlooked.  It thins the enemy deck in interesting ways that generally also skews the rest of their flips including accuracy and TN tests, generally for the worst.  I have no idea what my point is in this, but in general I think the RJ is important.  It could probably be tweaked a bit, but I'd not tamper with it too much personally.

All I've gotten from it is most people like to complain when things don't go the way they want.  Person A has never had a red joker flip for them they're going to to hate it.  Person B has only had red joker flip for them and never against them they're going to love it.  It's part of the game and as the game itself says: Bad Things Happen.