Noob Magic Q's

Guyon

1. I must pick a Theory to be able to cast

1a. Thalarian Doctrine and Lifewell are safer choices

1b. Players using Lifewell's open healing of others  are usually not punish.

2. Grimoire:

2a. How many do you usually have?

2b.  Do you usually keep them (even your active one) hidden at a location since you only need to consult it once a week?

3b. Most Grimoires only have one to three spells.  So do you need to switch Grimoires for each particular story?  Is this a pain only have so few spells available?

4. Casting (here we go  :/ )

4a. Players usually only pick one Magica ( Enchanting, Necromancy, Sorcery, etc).

4b. Player picks spell they know from their Grimoire (Say Beckon 7 crow pg 266).  they also want to let it effect a group of 4 (Immuuto 3 - made that up. Correct me if there is an actual one) making the total 7Crow+3 = 10 Crow.  So do you need to flip  a 10 or better to successfully cast the spell?  Can you cheat?  How does the Crow fit in?  So if you successfully cast  then each opponent needs to make a will save or they fall under the Beckon.   What is the limit to the number of people that can fall under beckon besides the range?

5. How many Soulsones do players usually carry?

5a. Soulstones can be used by anyone (even if they do not know magic) to heal with the Absorb Soul option.

1. Yep

1a. true

1b. It should be ok, unless there's an angry guild officer around.

2a.

How many do you usually have?

one and you can only bind one at a time.

2b.  Yes, you don't want to get caught by the guild with a grimoire on you or in your house.

3b.

Most Grimoires only have one to three spells.  So do you need to switch Grimoires for each particular story?  Is this a pain only have so few spells available?

Most have 2 spells and 2-3 immutos. You can switch grimoire if you spend 4 hours doing so and you have another available. If ,you choose your spells well, it's ok to have few. Dabbler's carreer for exemple lets you get more as you progress.

4a.

Players usually only pick one Magica ( Enchanting, Necromancy, Sorcery, etc).

No they pick 2, as your starting (dabbler) carrer gives you one grimoire with 2 spells from different schools.

4b.

Player picks spell they know from their Grimoire (Say Beckon 7 crow pg 266).  they also want to let it effect a group of 4 (Immuuto 3 - made that up. Correct me if there is an actual one) making the total 7Crow+3 = 10 Crow.  

If you want to affect a group of people, you will use the "pulse" immuto.

So do you need to flip  a 10 or better to successfully cast the spell?  Can you cheat?  How does the Crow fit in?  

Nope, you need to get a 10 OF CROW to successfuly cast your spell, and as long as you don't have a negative flip, you can cheat as usual.

So if you successfully cast  then each opponent needs to make a will save or they fall under the Beckon.   What is the limit to the number of people that can fall under beckon besides the range?

See pulse to get how it works, but usually, any people affected that isn't the main target have a WP or DF 10 challenge to avoid the spell.

5. How many Soulsones do players usually carry?

None, unless they buy some, and the guild doesn't lke people walking around carrying soulstones.

5a. Soulstones can be used by anyone (even if they do not know magic) to heal with the Absorb Soul option. 

It seems so.

Thank greatly Le gob

So 4a -  were does it say you start with two different types of Magica?  "starting (dabbler) carrer gives you one grimoire with 2 spells from different schools."
I need to read that so I don;t mess it up.

4b.  So a simple spell like that needing 10 crows?  That is like 5 in 54 chance 9% to flip.  AND THEN the target gets to resist? making success even less.  Wow seems like spells have a super high fail rate.  Are most spells that difficult, or did I just randomly pick a bad one?

11 hours ago, Guyon said:

Thank greatly Le gob

So 4a -  were does it say you start with two different types of Magica?  "starting (dabbler) carrer gives you one grimoire with 2 spells from different schools."

Exact line from Dabbler pursuit on page 108 "A Dabbler begins the game with a Grimoire containing one Sorcery Magia; one Enchanting, Necromancy, or Prestidigitation Magia (for a total of two Magia) and three Immuto".  Basically you get one Sorcery then you can pick one from Enchanting, Necromancy, or Prestidigitation.  Grave Robber is similar save you get one from Necromancy and pick one from the others.

As for how many people tend to have; 0-2 I imagine.  Most people not interested in 'dabbling' in spell craft tend to go Mage from Into the Steam for Manifested Power Spells and thus don't go for the slightly more flexible Grimoire route.  Most are pretty happy with the Grimoire that they started with and use talents to add to their available options *either through Master Magia, Master Immuto, or hopping into a pursuit that lets you access a magia regardless of a grimoire like Necromancer or Tinkerer*.  That said they will not be opposed to hording more if they get the option.

As for whether to carry it around on you or not depends on what form your Grimoire takes.  The examples on page 260 give some pretty different takes on them.  For example, the Tattoo covering ones arm and chest you are not likely going to leave anywhere, but it is pretty well hidden *possible in plain sight*.  Some grimoire can easily pass as ordinary objects unless they are studied closely by trained professionals.  And there are not enough of those to check every pocket watch, glasses, hand mirror, tattoos, music sheets, instruments, and who knows what else could pass as one.  If they suspect you and capture you that is one thing, it is another to notice in passing unless they are already aware.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Guyon said:

Thank greatly Le gob

4b.  So a simple spell like that needing 10 crows?  That is like 5 in 54 chance 9% to flip.  AND THEN the target gets to resist? making success even less.  Wow seems like spells have a super high fail rate.  Are most spells that difficult, or did I just randomly pick a bad one?

In case you didn't get it that 10:crow is made up by a combination of the card you flip and your "skill". So if you have an AV of 5, then you need 5:crow or higher. 

If you have an AV of 2:crow then  you would need any 8 or higher. 

• Like 1