Neverborn/ Gremlin Player Question

Guyon

I took the plunge and just bought all the books, and they should arrive this week.  My question is if someone chooses to play a Neverborn or a Gremlin, what are the disadvantages.  Are they permitted in human towns?  Will the Ortegas hunt Neverbourn in town, of do they have to enter Ortega territory on the  edge of the Bayou?

It is common to play a Neverborn/Gremlins? or not recommended?  What other disadvantages are there to play those factions?

Are there any other Factions not recommend to play?

Also is there any resources that I can read before my books come to get ready?

Thanks

From what I read in the books, you can't play a neverborn yet, but the book on neverborns is expected.
As for the gremelins, you can encounter some in Malifaux or the nearby towns, but it's uncommon, and they will strike people as odd.
Sometimes the guild puts a bounty on gremelin heads, so a gremelin character should watch his back.

My take on it, and it's completely a personal point of view: it's better to play a gremelin in a group of gremelins or in a campaign taking place outside the city. 
Nevertheless, it's ok to play one in a "normal" group of players, but it will bring you troubles.
Depending on which clan the gremelin his from, the relations with humans goes from outright hostile to friendly trade.

thanks for the replay  Le gob it was very helpful.

So are all the other Factions playable for the Fated (The guild, Reserectionists, Arcanists, Outcasts, Ten Thunders)?

I am trying to let them pic in advance to make character creation go faster once I get the books.  Can they be mixed Factions?

There is a different method to create your player's characters in each book. 
The core book let you make a factionless character, Into the bayou is meant for gremelins, Under quarantine for undeads or human who had a near death experience and Into the steam for constructs or humans with ties to an organisation like the arcanists or 10T.
If you make characters by the book, they will have no ties to any faction, unless you build up a background story with the fatemaster to give you one
If you use Into the steam, but you will have a random link to a random organisation generated by a card flip.

That being said, you can also make a scenario to have your players build a link with one of the faction.

In our campaign, no one had a link to any faction, but as things happened, we started to come colser to the resurectionnists, even if many of our characters ain't to happy about it.

From what I understood (but maybe it's just our group) , most characters come from earth and just arrived in Malifaux.

Your have to picture Malifaux as a huge city, really huge, which has been reclaimed by the guild, but it's so big they can only keep about 1/4th of it under their watch.
In the rest of the city, the quarantine zone, anybody can more or less claim anything they have the means to keep, some parts are relatively safe and populated with humans who can't afford to, or don't want to live in the guild part of the city, some others infested with zombies.
Undeads are killed on sight by the guild, but they can disguise themselves to pose as regular humans.
If any of your players want to play a gremelin, an undead or a construct, you have to make sure they understand that if they make any mistake, they will be hunted down by the guild.
I don't know much about undead abilities, but I think it's close to the ones from the wargame.

One of the key advantages Undead and Construct characters have is they are immune to certain ailments and injuries; such as bleeding out, Infection, and Suffication.  But they have the whole not being living humans in a society of living humans.  As Le gob said, the Guild kill Undead on sight.  Depending on what sort of Undead you are this can be easier or harder to hide.  Constructs might get passes as another person's mechanical creation *so a construct character could pose as another player's machine* but if they find out you are a thinking machine odds are you get going to get attacked as the Guild does not have a good history of machines that think for themselves.

Both undead and construct characters have Talents that only they can take which is an advantage but that means if you are taking those you are not taking other General Talents.  So it really depends on what you want your character to get.

Flip side is that neither type heals naturally normally, they have to be repaired and in the undead's case likely need "donor" parts for healing ongoing critical effects *the Construct requires parts that cost scrip*.  And just as a living player cannot do surgery on themselves, undead and constructs cannot do the equivalent to themselves.  Meaning you either need someone in your group that has Artifacting for Constructs or Stitching for Undead.  If not it means you have to find someone which can be a hassle in itself.