Oxfordian method and manifested powers

Le gob

A quick question about oxfordian method, in V2 it gives you a suit of your choice for all your manifested powers, for a +1 AP for your spells.
Let's say my character is never going to use a spell, but must choose a magical theory when he gains a manifested power and wants to take this one.
Does the suit include class given manifested powers (like the sawbone's take your meds) or only the ones from destiny steps?

4 hours ago, Le gob said:

A quick question about oxfordian method, in V2 it gives you a suit of your choice for all your manifested powers, for a +1 AP for your spells.

No, it doesn't give you an extra AP for spells.  It increases the AP cost of "Spells (but not Manifested Powers), and then adds text to allow the AP for the spell to be spent across two turns if the spell ends up AP3 or more, because it would become impossible to cast some spells otherwise.

4 hours ago, Le gob said:

Let's say my character is never going to use a spell, but must choose a magical theory when he gains a manifested power and wants to take this one.
Does the suit include class given manifested powers (like the sawbone's take your meds) or only the ones from destiny steps?

There's no difference.  Both class given Manifested Powers and Destiny Step granted Manifested Powers are Manifested Powers.

"Well, I'm never going to cast a real spell so that disadvantage is never going to apply to me" is something you're free to think, whether fate proves you wrong or not. ;).

7 hours ago, solkan said:

"Well, I'm never going to cast a real spell so that disadvantage is never going to apply to me"

That's exactly why I bring it up. In my opinion, there should have been a restriction saying you must be able to cast spells when you take the Oxfordian method.
And probably some other restrictions on most of the other magical theories.

My take on this subject is: if the player's Fated character develops a Manifested Power that involves a Magical Skill in calculating its AV (e.g. Prestidigitation for "Take Your Meds"), then the Fated character IS in essence casting a spell, and so would need to choose a Magical Theory.

7 hours ago, Le gob said:

That's exactly why I bring it up. In my opinion, there should have been a restriction saying you must be able to cast spells when you take the Oxfordian method.

Why should there be?  Those restrictions apply to future decisions that the player will be making.  So at best the player is digging themselves into a hole in exchange for immediate benefits.

And probably some other restrictions on most of the other magical theories.

So you want to tell your player that's only interested in dabbling in enchanting things that they can't use the Thalarian Doctrine or the player that just wants to be a fire based caster they can't use Hedge Magic?  Or heaven forbid the doctor in the book that gained "Walk it off" choose the Lifewell Doctrine...

If it makes you feel better, ask the player to explain how the learned their magic theory, and how the theory reflects their character's understanding of the world if it was learned informally.  And then remember that Oxfordians are big on the Guild harassment list.

• Like 2