Big Pants Outcasts! Crew progression, battle reports, and maybe more...

SirRocketPants

Hey y'all,

I live in America now (relevant?), and I just started Malifaux... and it looks awesome!!!!

I love some of the community resources (schemes and stones anyone?... omg that stuff is good).

And I love looking at pictures of cool models, and reading battle reports (especially if they have some of the formerly mentioned pictures). But there isn't nearly enough stuff to fuel my new Malifaux addiction!

Maybe some of you are in the same boat.

So being a great guy and all that I wanna do my small part to fuel this most awesome of games' community.

So I've decided to start posting progress on my crew as well as some battle reports of games I get to play.

I found a great store (Geek out Games in the upstate SC), with people that play on nice game boards and actually work on painting their stuff (yay I'm not the only one playing with a painted army anymore). Plus, some of they are awesome painters, so y'all gonna get the treat of seeing their crews (Damn... the local Henchman's collection is amazing... I'll plug the forum name here when I ask him what it is).

Maybe some day I'll get good at this game and I'll add tactical advice on what I learn... but until then I'd appreciate any comments you guys have on how I can improve my game. Ok? Thanks :)

Oh, also I promised myself I'd only paint painted models.... let's see how long that lasts... please shame me into keeping that promise.

So far I played 3 campaign games and 1 normal game... they all ended turn 2 because Viks wiped the board... so I'm loving them so far.

I'm about to get in my next games.

So I'll post a picture of my little starting Vik crew and a battle report this evening or tomorrow.

Looking forward to your comments and I hope you'll like it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok here we go.

SO It appears I have no idea how to take pictures... for this I apologize. Let's all pray I improve fast...

First... here is all I have painted so far:

zBnsjso.jpg

3Y9yZZv.jpg

My goal is to convert a 100% female crew (monters/constructs etc don't count... because I said so) using the TTB ulti part kit mostly for those models that don't have female versions.

So you see my first female trapper up there :)

The Game:

Flank Deployment - Guard the stash

Claim jump (Picked by me)

Frame for Murder (Picked by both)

Leave your Mark (Picked by opponent)

Undercover Entourage

Hunting Party

The good guys Girls this game is everything you see above minus Taelor... 

Ashes has Sisters in Fury, Sisters in Spirit and Synchronized Slaying. Blood has Oathkeeper and Mark of SheZ'Ull. A&D has Scramble.

4SS cache.

The Bad girl is Pandora.

Z01RHPO.jpg

She has the Woe is me, Depression and Voices upgrades. Widoweaver has no upgrades, and we got  3 Sorrows, 3 willow wisps, and 2 insidious madnesses.

7SS cache.

My plan is to kill everything and get points once that's done. Seems to be working so far and why would I change a winning strategy, right?

Oh... I can only upload 500Kb ... uh... per topic? Per day? I guess I'll have to figure that out before I can continue this... sorry.Hope this project isn't doomed -_-

Great I figured it out... (nobody in the chat even had to tell me how it works)

So here it goes.... deployment:

VQHWTsb.jpg

After deployment I measure.... yeah... blood is gonna murder that whole bunch up there in the left.

sZxXqW5.jpg

Hmmmm.... looks like I need to get good... with the whole base of that cactus being hazardous I need to charge in a way to avoid it. So now I,m only in range of  models instead of... if I had actually placed at the edge of my deployment instead of half assing it I'd have gained  inches and would be in range to kill everything... oooops.

xNAFeqP.jpg

So Blood flips a high Mask for whirlwind and flips red joker for damage on widow weaver, kills sorrow with min 5 damage. Second attack and Melee expert attack wasted because nothing is in range.

Pandora makes her way over to slap Blood and my scrubby charge has me in range of Dora and 2 Sorrows... :(

CHrEYvw.jpg

So Blood gets pinged to death (scoring me 2 for FfM... because pings don't count as Pandora killing her apparently :'( ), ashes gets some messed up conditions on her forcing her to go last next turn and to walk towards the willow wisp.

But now it's A&D time, Vanessa walks him 6 inches with command construct, another 6 inch walk, 9 inch charge, 2 inch melee... Bam : 23 inch threat range!

72Mc4O7.jpg

After doing nothing in it's charge, A&D gets killed (yay). I find out about the 6 inch pulse on ashen core's card... looks like 11df duel is pretty hard for Pandora and her crew... especially if you do it 2 times with the core, then 3 more times with A&D after it recombines next turn, then 2 more times with ashen core when it get's resummoned... with always at least 3 or 4 enemies (which all have bad df, low wounds and get incorporeal ignored) taking the test... (I felt like an asshole). 

Also Ashen core has 8 Wp... Pandora didn't like that.

A bunch of stuff in range dies and Pandora has no hand left.

At some point Pandora hd enough of it...

Z7BZ1aS.jpg

Second time around she goes for the dust storm.... 3/4/6 dmg track on oneself is pretty bad when you get pinged and have 4 wounds apparently...

Afterwards the whole Pandora crew walks away from the Ashen core and makes sure to not go near it again for the rest of the game... lol. Too bad I didn't have it in the center of the board.

pJ0xqVk.jpg

Trapper decides to red joker + critical strike the FfM target...

uQbMlMm.jpg

Somehow Pandora keeps flipping/cheating 13s vs Vik of Ashes when my highest card is a 12 :(

I start learning about the value of high stats...

rbBbn8G.jpg

Still... It's getting lonely for Dora... I'm feeling pretty good about this again and start putting down some markers to win this thing.

Vik of Ashes gets Paralyzed though... :(

Finally...

7Gx8poE.jpg

You done goofed now Dora!!!

q36l1JI.jpg

Shit...

Dora pulls out her 13s vs my 12s... also I learn melee 4 isn't great for hitting things even if you have 3 attacks... and having a 5/6/8 dmg track isn't great if you start hitting yourself with it O_O

Ashen Core out of the picture, watching the whole from the other side of the board in agony... all this incompetence... for 7 turns...

4Yra1wI.jpg

You're gonna pay for this you evil witch!

Vanessa finishes Dora.... eat my 9Ca! :D

(I feel like +flips are great early game and high stats late game when you can focus the cards in your hand on a few models).

But before They get Dora... she kills Trapper removing my ability to get my 4th guard the stash point, and...

BgOKvY0.jpg

Summons these two... dammit... now she's gonna start scoring guard the stash.

Wlj2IhT.jpg

But again Vanessa is having none of it. 

Game ends 8:7 for me... at the end of turn 7

Guard the stash 3:2

Claim Jump 3:0

Frame for Murder 2:2

Leave your mark 0:3

What do you think... Vanessa, A&D or Dora MvP?

• Like 5

Sketch201 is to thank for all the cool terrain and boards. Maybe he'll share some tips.

Also general question... I made a note about it in the battle report and was wondering what more experienced players think about it:

It felt like early in the game +flips were amazing. You have better chances of winning the initial duel than having +1 or 2 to the duel stat characteristic, and there are lots of models alive/lots of duels to be made and only 6 cards to cheat in (with probably only a couple good ones anyway). However if there is 1 specific duel you want to win... well better stats are better, because well... 4 melee just won't do shit if 7 df decides to cheat in a 13.

Later in the game, high stats are better, because you can focus all your cards on a couple left over models, so even if +flips and lower stats win more duels initially, higher stats will win after cheating assuming hands are equivalent.

Basically + flips win more initial duels, but higher stats chose which few duels they win as cheating is more powerful.

So many duels = +flips win. Few duels = high stats win.

Thoughts?

Do I just feel this way because Viks games are murder fests?

Disagree/Agree for another reason?

I feel that elevated profiles are better at the beginning of the turn, when you have your hand loaded of cards, while :+fate are better at the end, when your hand is empty. 

That's not an exact rule. If your hand sucks there's no high card to cheat, so depending  of your luck could be better the positive flip, while if your opponent has good luck with the cards flipped from the deck, your positive flips are almost useless. 

Ooh, don't talk to me about horrible hands. Last tournament I went to, pretty much every game, the fourth or fifth (or both) turn was characterized by getting a handful of nothing. One turn the highest card in my hand was a 9, after stoning, and all my high cards appeared to be at the bottom of the deck. The Red Joker was at the very bottom.

• Like 1

That's some beautiful terrain and two beautiful crews. I especially like Pandora and Ashes and Dust. 

For your question, I've found that high stats on Actions are great when you really want to win specific duels, specifically if you have good damage tracks or powerful debuffs. When you tie on the attack or action, you're still winning the duel. Your example is classic Viks, where a 12 or 13 all but assure you of throwing you 5 minimum damage at someone and potentially whirlwinding half their crew away.

However, high stats are only good when you're willing and/or able to use your control hand aggressively to back them up and force things to go your way. If you find yourself without a control hand, even a stellar Ml7 or Ca8 still seems really trash when you flip a low card that you can't cheat and your opponent's model flips or cheats a moderate.

Conversely, :+fate modifiers stack the duel in your favour. They don't ensure that you will win, but they make it more likely that you'll be winning after the initial flip. Your opponent will be more likely to have to cheat first to win, giving you a chance to drain their hands of cards and/or cheat second to ensure you succeed. Modifiers are also great for sifting through multiple cards to access better suits. If your Viktoria of Blood managed to flip a 9:mask & 13:crowyou can choose which you want to use after your opponent cheats - either forcing the 13 through to win the duel if they flip or cheat high, or taking the lower 9 for the :masktrigger if their total is low enough that the 16 can get through - without touching your control hand.

Even if you flip 2 very low cards, it means that the second terrible card you flipped won't be present in your next duel, and you can still cheat if you have cards left. :+fate modifiers are always good to have; both at the start at and at the end of a turn, though you tend to notice their usefulness more towards the end when hands run dry of high cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Freman said:

Ooh, don't talk to me about horrible hands. Last tournament I went to, pretty much every game, the fourth or fifth (or both) turn was characterized by getting a handful of nothing. One turn the highest card in my hand was a 9, after stoning, and all my high cards appeared to be at the bottom of the deck. The Red Joker was at the very bottom.

As your opponent in this event, I hasten to add that my control hands vs you were garbage too. Turn 1 I had just enough to force a single 1-wound summon through, and that was about it. I believe I pulled ahead because I had copious amounts of :+fates (Rogue Necro & Punk Zombies) which let me win most duels without requiring cheating.

• Like 2

Hi everyone.... so I've been thinking about Viks wave 5 and while I'm still learning outcast cards, I feel like I found somethin great.

But I just listened to the Max Value podcast and even they don't mentionned it... so could you tell me why this sucks of what I'm missing that makes this not work?

So we need :

Viks

Scion

Hodgepode effigie

Turn 1 scion walks 2/3 times (oathkeeper). Poops out Vik... ideally behind a building if she has oathkeeper (if foregoing Mark of SheZ'Ull), next turn, she walks out and charges for about 30 inch safe threat range, then buries after murdering stuff.

2nd Turn when she has no more Oathkeeper for safe charging without risking the enemy's reaction, the effegie who walked up the board in safety poops her out using scion's (o) and she acomplices...

Might even be able to do it again in later turns... but with 2 successful charges... realistically... we're probably in a pretty good spot in the game.

Of course on turn 2 this relies on the condition that scion gets targeted by the enemy for the effigie to be able to use the action.

But you can just walk up scion to engage as many models as possible... or something important like their master that needs to activate... if they won't target you... ok fine, that means they will be inefficient with a bunch of their stuff, and you can still unburry Vik with another sister for a "weaker" version of this charge (or give the effigy the sister characteristic with the new upgrade or howling wolf tatoo if you HAVE TO have it happen....).

What do you think?

Anything preventing this from working?

Know any other models with accomplice or giving out Fast in outcasts that could be used to improve on this trick?

11 hours ago, hydranixx said:

If your Viktoria of Blood managed to flip a 9:mask & 13:crowyou can choose which you want to use after your opponent cheats

Just to nitpick an otherwise very agreeable post, you pick your card before either player cheats.

As per small rulebook page 26:

2. Flip Fate Card and Add Stat
Both models simultaneously flip one card (plus any cards for Fate Modifiers), then
choose one of their flipped cards as their active card and discard the others.

3. Choose to Cheat Fate

As an attacker your Vik of Blood does get to pick her card after the defender does, so there's still some advantage there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Just to nitpick an otherwise very agreeable post, you pick your card before either player cheats.

As per small rulebook page 26:

As an attacker your Vik of Blood does get to pick her card after the defender does, so there's still some advantage there.

Cheers for that, I was never aware it worked like that. It doesn't come up very often for me. It seems that I learn something new about Malifaux every time I try to teach something about it lol.

New ladies ready for tomorrow (from left to right): Convict gunslinger, Bishop, Johanna.

yIFA2lf.jpg

Not really too happy with the pain job (except Johanna's Jeans which I think look great).

I tried a new pre-shading technique and things were going well until I started working on the skin... skin tone glazes don't work well over black/grey/white transitions...

After that I have to admit I kinda rushed to finish... when I mess up, I often prefer to just get to the next model and apply what I learned on a "clean" start instead of spending a lot of time to maybe fix it... because you know... I already have more models on my "to paint" list then time to paint... and the whole point to this is to learn to paint faster...

Anyhow... just waned to share... get you guys excited for the next battle report :)

• Like 3