SPOILER WARNING speculation on Minako Rei

D_acolyte

SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING

You have been warned. But just in case:

SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING SPOILER WARNING

I will try not to spoil to much in the initial post.

Minako Rei, the last member of the Order of Balance. I want to theorize how she will be implemented because her art looks cool and I think she will be in the next book. I am some what sad she was not a model in this one. I suspect she will be a last blossom fast moving Ml henchmen with some control tricks, sort of the mirror of Ototo who is slow and hard hitting with some control tricks. This is somewhat supported by the set of characters that the story focused on.

The Order of Balance seems to be a secretive order of internal affairs.

What are other peoples thoughts: Do you think she will be an enforcer, henchmen or master.

She has a nice piece of art in the book.  I was likewise disappointed that she didn't get an entry.  Ruleswise, if I had to guess, she'll be a Henchman who fits in theme more with Shenlong than anyone else.  She'll be able to hold her own in melee, if those claws are any indication.

What I want to know is what is her connection to Sukhon?  She had Sukhon's mask, but she could have used any mask if all she wanted to do was hide the mark of her order.

51 minutes ago, boreas said:

She has a nice piece of art in the book.  I was likewise disappointed that she didn't get an entry.  Ruleswise, if I had to guess, she'll be a Henchman who fits in theme more with Shenlong than anyone else.  She'll be able to hold her own in melee, if those claws are any indication.

What I want to know is what is her connection to Sukhon?  She had Sukhon's mask, but she could have used any mask if all she wanted to do was hide the mark of her order.

Her connection to Sukhon is that she is Sukhon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be hopeful for a Henchmen model that allowed unusual hiring options into the crew. Though that is more through her generalship role and role to bring people on board to Misaki's plan. Unless she just has ulterior motives, but the story makes her seem legit. But the art was awesome... it has to get a model of any role or stats.

Spoiler warning...
When I grow up I want to be a principal, just like Principal Skinner, or a butterfly...
My Cat's breath smells like cat food...
And
the day the doctor told me I didn't have worms anymore, was the happiest day of my life!

Everyone needs a bit of Ralph Wiggum in their life!

So, I think Minako seems independent to be a Hanchman at the very least.  From her art and dialogue with Toshy, she seems to be very capable in combat and have a strong sense of honour.  It will be very interesting to see how she uses Balance as she's talking to an Undead (so different from Lady J's balance) and is helping the Tunders (who are crooked to their core) in the first place...

Don't think she'll be Last Blossom (though could be wrong) as they seem to be Misaki's personal agents and Minako seems to be more pursuing her own agenda (of questionable balance) and Misaki just happens to be in that agenda. 

• 4 months later...

from the encyclopedia of Shinto:

Katashiro   
A physical object used as emblem of the presence of a spirit in rites of worship. The term also refers to an object representing the human figure (hitogata or nademono), used in rites of purification (misogi or harae) to represent the subject of the rite, in which case the subject rubs the object on his body or blows breath upon it, thus transferring transgressions and pollutions (tsumi and kegare) to the object, which is later cast into a river or another body of water. Katashiro were also used when casting spells or curses. Most katashiro seen today are made of paper, but in the past they were also made of gold, silver, iron, wood, rice straw or miscanthus reeds. From the Heian period, a hitogata was presented to the court by a Yin-Yang divination master (onmyōji) each month for the performance of a rite called nanase no harai ("seven tides purification"). A similar rite called the jōshi no harai (lit., "first-day-of-the-snake exorcism") was performed on the third day of the third month, and this custom led to the practice of casting adrift dolls displayed for the third month's nodal festival (sekku). These dolls later came to be preserved and displayed as decorations rather than discarded. See also jōshi

If we're counting 9SS'ers as mid-range beaters we're suddenly flooded with choice. LS, Crime Boss, Graves, Bettari, Kang, Dawn Serpent, Ama no Zako... Some more niche than others but still. If we're looking at where we're lacking it's mainly something 3ish SS for activations, great all-round models in the 6-7 SS range rather than niches and 10+ SS models. I'm hoping for a 7 SS Oni minion, but in the book the Wanyudo is pretty much every tag except Oni and the Katashiro give too much of a support-y vibe to seem like they'd be allowed to be summons.

If the TTB is an indicator of its abilities Wanyudo is going to be a charge first, ask questions later kind of model. Which I'm digging. Looking at their mythological roots the Katashiro seem buffy/debuffy, and especially the latter I've always loved. And that leaves Rei. If these four models are meant to be a feasible starting point she'd need to round the crew off a bit through a somewhat damage-y role. Contrasting a giant wheel crashing in spouting fire I'm imagining her somewhat more sneak-y/precision-strike-y, darting in and out of combat, perhaps with poisoned claws and other nasty tricks? I could see poison and then Katashiro's abilities amplifying conditions somehow.

Do we know they're going to be fully playable models or could they be encounter-box only?