Translations

bedjy

Hi everyone,

I'll talk about translations in general, the french one in particular.

That's around 2 months we have the translation of the book 1 for free and I have to give my concerns about it and a few questions.

Do you know if wave 2-3-4-5 are planned ? Will we have to wait as long as we did with the rules and wave 1?

What chance do we have to develop Malifaux in france ? How can I make my friend, who owns a Gaming store start selling Malifaux when his providers got almost nothing in stock and there is no french book for sale ?

How his customers are to discover Malifaux and ask their shop to sell some ? 

I was very happy when I saw the french book got released and I have to say i was quite surprise when we could get it for free, i could have gladly pay for it. Then i downloaded it and regretted my first thoughts : I would have been quite angry to pay for this. And the more i read it, the more disappointed i grew...

• Some translations were almost direct google translate.
  • An ability can be called differently in different places (pounce has like 4 different translations)
  • The descriptions of some abilities are different almost everytime (like Critical Strike)
  • Draw a card and flip a card both have the same translation.
  • Some (pistol icon) were replace by Tir(Sh) and vis versa.
  • Capital letters were used randomly.
  • Etc...

So i told myself : that doesn't matter, at least we got it for free.

But there has been an exemple : a few days ago, i wanted to initiate a french only speaking friend, and as he read his cards printed from the book, he couldn't understand some stuff because it was wrong in the book.

When the french book was released, the french community checked it and we started to point out what was wrong. But there was a lot too much to do so, I took on myself to build a complex file to have all the correction I would ask to have the Malifaux english speaking persons have. Now i got a 100 pages word document with most of the things that troubled me. Even if I'm quite new to Malifaux (a year only) I'm a Magic tcg player since a long time now and I saw that both games have in common that the vocabulary we use can't be chosen lightly.

Also, more than a year before the release, some corrections were already made by this very same community but due to the lack of communication of the service provider, that job was done for nothing.

And i fear all the time I spent correcting the book 1 since it's released follow the same way...

So, now i have started translating the other books for my friends or some potential player when i'll be a henchman because i wan't the people around me to be able to chose whatever they like.

I really hope that everything I've done will be usefull.

Thx for reading