Facing Arcanists with only wave 1

wizuriel

Greetings masters of the dead.

So I signed up for a tournament where each round we can only use cards from that wave and under (so round 1 is only wave 1 stuff, round 2 is wave 1 + 2 ect). I'm new to ressers and know the scheme/strats for round 1 are 

Flank

Extraction

Claim Jump, dig their graves, leave your mark, undercover entourage, inspection.

So any advice for handling that scheme pool? I also know I'm going up against an Arcanist player and kind of fear seeing Ramos on the other end of the table and not sure how to counter his summon spam with wave 1 ressers. 

McMourning should be fine. With plastic surgery and moonlighting, you can keep generating flesh from his constructs if with 3. Those are not outs on sebastion means you also can summon creatures as well who with sebastions help can kill their spiders. No rafkin or carrion is painful but can survive.

Dig their graves and entourage on mcmourning are both super easy.

Initial thoughts would be:

50 SS Resurrectionists Crew
McMourning + 6 Pool
 - Moonlighting (1)
 - Plastic Surgery (1)
Zombie Chihuahua (2)
Sebastian (7)
 - Those Are Not Ours! (1)
Bete Noire (8)
Flesh Construct (6)
Nurse (5)
Necropunk (5)
Canine Remains (4)
Canine Remains (4)
Canine Remains (4)

Canine remains tie up targets. Die. Their pokes can do 1 + poison which hits for another 3 from sebastion which kills a spider. Necropunk does dig their graves.

Nurse during her first activation of game charges mcmourning to give him 8 poison for game. And then tries to paralyze howard or joss from that point forward. Bete is for howard or joss (maybe ramos if nearby).

Biggest weapon you have and need to protect is sebastion. Poson ignores armor and 3 damage plus the ~1 that gave the poison is enough to kill spiders and do serious damage to swarms or everything else. 

Biggest dangers of ramos lists against you is howard or joss especially if they get reactivate.

Hmm. I usually just have the Nurse hit him once. 4 poison gets him through most of the game usually. That's just me .  I like that list though. Should do pretty well even against Ramos. Keeping Sebastion alive is important as stated. I don't love Bete myself, but ymmv. Not sure who else in Wave 1 I'd replace her with though. 

Nicodem is also just about as crazy in wave 1 as he is now. 

-- Nicodem Corpse Engine --

Nicodem
    Undertaker, 1SS
    Maniacal Laugh, 1SS
    Love Thy Master, 1SS
Mortimer, 9SS
    Corpse Bloat, 2SS
Nurse, 5SS
Madam Sybelle, 8SS
    Bleeding Tongue, 1SS
    Not Too Banged Up, 1SS
Rotten Belle, 5SS
Johan (Mercenary), 6SS
Necropunk, 5SS

Available Soulstones: 50
Total: 46
Pool: 7

Shared from MalifauxModels (geeksong.com/Malifaux, or Google Play).

Sybelle runs up and calls belle, belle pulls morty and nicodem up. Morty poops out some corpses and nico summons. Johan moves up, nurse moves up, necropunk leaps to start putting down markers for dig their graves or claim jump. Nico summons beaters. 

Sybelle can function as a beater, but she's also really strong with scheme running. She can walk 10, call belle, and then companion into a wk6 belle for weird scheme marker shenanigans or w/e. She can also move, place a marker, call belle, and then the belle can move and place a marker too. Nicodem is great at creating a zone of infinite death - summon only hanged and punk zombies if you can, but flesh constructs aren't bad, especially if you paralyze someone with the nurse and you have a high tome. 

Protect the nurse, she messes people up, and heal/paralyze mortimer turn 2 after you corpse bloat. 

Good luck!

The McMourning list looks good. It should be very capable of dealing with anything Wave 1 Arcanists can throw at you. I agree that Sebastian will be your lynchpin - not only for his damage, but for that :ranged defense aura which might be the only thing that can save you from nasty Acolyte bolts or shut down Rasputina if she shows up instead of Ramos. 

The scheme pool doesn't seem like it would suit Nicodem. I can't remember if the Students are Wave 1, but outside of Student of Steel Nico has nothing that will handle Armour +2. Joss will eat each of your summoned Punk Zombies in one swing ignoring their Hard to Kill, scoring Dig Their Graves easily. Your attacks will be sticking 1 or 2 damage on him at most. Even The Hanged only put 3 damage on Joss or Ramos when they're at full wounds and each following attack is weaker.

I think it all depends on how much value you can squeeze out of Student of Steel, provided you own 1 and can summon it, but I think McMourning/Seb are probably a better choice.

As an aside, @oryxwild your list looks super reliant on TN actions and getting the right suits. Sybelle and Mortimer will need 8's or 9's respectively for their tactical actions, the Rotten Belle needs a 5, Necropunk needs a 7, and this is before Nicodem meets all his TN's for summoning. Sybelle, Nicodem and the Nurse are suit-hungry, Johan sometimes will be as well. If you don't draw a god hand for the first two turns you're going to be settling for half.

I can argue that Students are wave 0. I had my M2E student cards from an official release before the M2E rules were released. Granted they got a slight rules change in wave 2, hence the Errata'd cards appearing in the Wave 2 decks. 

May be something for the TO to decide

5 hours ago, Adran said:

I can argue that Students are wave 0. I had my M2E student cards from an official release before the M2E rules were released. Granted they got a slight rules change in wave 2, hence the Errata'd cards appearing in the Wave 2 decks. 

May be something for the TO to decide

I believe wave X is generally determined by which book they came out in. Rules for students appear in book 2.

10 minutes ago, Kinginyello said:

I believe wave X is generally determined by which book they came out in. Rules for students appear in book 2.

Generally yes you are right. But I would say Transmortis is a special case.

Rules and models for students were availible to buy before we had crossroads. If you were to use a time machine and wereplaying this game in september 2014 at the release of M2e then you could legally be playing official university of transmortis cards  which went on sale june 2014 which is why I suggested checking with the TO. (as in my head thats what they are looking for with wave limited rounds)

If Students are definitely Wave 2, Nicodem's a no go. You'll never chew through the armour fast enough to stop Ramos and Joss. You summon 1 model for 1 AP, Ramos will summon 2 or 3 models for 1AP, Joss can/will one-hit your model and you'll need 2-3 attacks just to kill each Steam Arachnid. It's unlikely to work in your favour.

Joss is WP6, as is Ramos himself, his Steam Arachnids and Howard Langston.

Nurses can force a debuff through but you'll probably need your best card(s) so your summoning will be noticeably weaker, so you're likely to fall even further behind in summoning board presence.

Wave 2 and lots of Students of Steel? Sure, Nicodem will be great. But with Wave 1 alone it seems like a job for McMourning.