If you were writting te next erratta....

generalbear

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Not that is invalidates your point or anything but Zoraida's Crystal Ball allows you to simply draw a card and Mah has a chore which allows one to draw a card when a Gremlin dies. I don't have my cards but doesn't one of the Sky Pirate Upgrades also give card draw?

But that's nitpicking - it's true that Gremlins have way less "pure" card draw than other factions. But OTOH Criers and some other things have helped Gremlin card draw a lot so I'm not sure that it is such an acute problem anymore. As for the idea itself, I suppose it could work but it wouldn't affect Somer much as he extremely seldom has all three Upgrades so the net effect for weakening him would be that he'd take an extra 1SS Upgrade all the time. It being available for all other Masters would even out the power curve but I dunno. It seems like a very powerful effect.

True that Zoraida has some card draw. (Easily changed to Master, Gremlin if we think she has too much already). Although you might be right at the moment that Somer doesn't always fill his slots. It is a step in the right direction and makes it a harder to take all his good stuff I think encouragement, dirty cheater, liquid bravery & family tree are great upgrades and just taking away some options and making him pay for his old built in ability would help. 

Also more than anything it helps the balancing game between masters since it gives them more flexibility and gets them closer to the level of Somers manipulation. If you do it this way you are taking Somer down a touch and taking our other masters to a higher level. I think that for once I'd like a softer approach to buffing / nerfing Gremlins. Doing it this way helps keep somer good but I think masters like Zipp, Mah, Wong, Brewmaster & Ophelia would benefit greatly and at that point the gap from #1 & 2-4 closes to a much more reasonable level. 

Remember that the other top 4 masters in the game got upgrades via new models & upgrades in book 5.....Somer got no upgrades worth thinking about and none of our new models will impact Somers competitive lists. Given that circumstance I think somer doesn't really need nerfs, but by taking this away from his built in card and making him pay for his draw engine he will be more balanced.

I think the advantage for wyrd is also that they can buff all our weaker masters and nerf Somer by changing just Somers card and one upgrade.

Also like I said I thought 1ss would be enough but if wyrd wanted to take somer down  a touch more at 2ss it would then be a bigger nerf to somer by making him give up a skeeter or 5% of his SS to have the same card. (It would also make it a less obvious choice for other masters) 

Personally I would rather see Somer nerfed in the damage department than the support and manipulation department. Nerfing his damage will help differentiate him and Ophelia imo.

Also I'm really not too sure how many masters survival of the fittest would really help.

Ophelia: Is already upgrade hungry and not sure she could really fit it in

Wong: Do Over imo is better for Wong. Also getting upgrade card slot hungry

Mah: It would work for her, but I find she tends to be more of a flanker or few models can really keep up with her. Though would work nicely with Do it Right!

Zipp: I don't think he is ever really around enough Gremlins to make use of this ability

Brewmaster: I guess could work. I don't play Brewmaster enough to really comment

Ulix: Tends to be more pig heavy 

• Like 2

Disclosure: I don't play/own Som'er.

I'm not a fan of stripping power from one Master to potentially bring other Masters closer to his power level. I know the common wisdom is that Som'er is really powerful but he's not giving lively threshings to the global meta is he? There are SO many models in this faction that could use a touch-up before a Master gets nerfed.

1 hour ago, the tick said:

Disclosure: I don't play/own Som'er.

I'm not a fan of stripping power from one Master to potentially bring other Masters closer to his power level. I know the common wisdom is that Som'er is really powerful but he's not giving lively threshings to the global meta is he? There are SO many models in this faction that could use a touch-up before a Master gets nerfed.

Nahh but the American NE meta doesn't like him. Personally I agree but the reason I said it is because it be cool to get other masters closer. I agree though especially after the last book I'd be so upset to get any nerfs on the few models we have.

The only thing the errata department needs to realize is that "random funnyness" on abilities is not fun if that makes the model be nowhere near competitive level. 
For example: The bayou smuggler. Funny, nice looking model but  really bad. If gremlins are squishy, and self hurting, they need to be reckless and hard hitting or gimmicky on a doable level, otherwise they just lose cause the enemy has tougher models with more reliable abilities.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 2:29 AM, Drunken Kung Fu Kid said:

The only thing the errata department needs to realize is that "random funnyness" on abilities is not fun if that makes the model be nowhere near competitive level. 
For example: The bayou smuggler. Funny, nice looking model but  really bad. If gremlins are squishy, and self hurting, they need to be reckless and hard hitting or gimmicky on a doable level, otherwise they just lose cause the enemy has tougher models with more reliable abilities.

Agreed thats why I thought if we gave it's swap a highish tn 14-15 (ca 5+ 9-10)  and were able to target a friendly model then at least it would work out to: 

Vs your own model:

1) Cycle + draw 1 card (because with that high a tn you usually have to cheat) 

2) Swap places with that important model 

Vs enemy model:

You were going to need a pretty high card anyway to get if off so the high tn isn't that big of a problem.

On another note Wong's new Upgrade "Behold My Effervescence!" and Zipp's Supply Drop" are exactly the same thing. They are so random that they cross the border from fun an wonky to random and useless. I don't mind relatively high variance stuff that will be impactful for its cost. Like if Supply drop worked on 2-3 walks a turn then it would go from way too random to potentially interesting....close to a coin flip I get the effect I want (since most of the effects have a use but you can't count on any of them as is).

For wong's upgrade at least it can be cheated but in most situations is super random and the effects are so marginal that the ap, set up, cheat cards aren't worth it. (maybe with htk models it could be ok to help bring them back over the top.)

I gave the smuggler a new review andI have to say I'm going to try him as a controll anti scheme runner to deny things like claimjump and tie up some of the weaker hitting models. Maybe his 3" Engagementrange and the schememarker repositioning make him worth his cost  in the right scenario. I guess to get some work out of him we just have to ignore the bad parts of his card and black out the swap with a textmarker or something XD.

I mean 3" engagement for his cost is really the best thing on his card. And of course the Artwork. 

11 hours ago, lame0 said:

Agreed thats why I thought if we gave it's swap a highish tn 14-15 (ca 5+ 9-10)  and were able to target a friendly model then at least it would work out to: 

Vs your own model:

1) Cycle + draw 1 card (because with that high a tn you usually have to cheat) 

2) Swap places with that important model 

Vs enemy model:

You were going to need a pretty high card anyway to get if off so the high tn isn't that big of a problem.

On another note Wong's new Upgrade "Behold My Effervescence!" and Zipp's Supply Drop" are exactly the same thing. They are so random that they cross the border from fun an wonky to random and useless. I don't mind relatively high variance stuff that will be impactful for its cost. Like if Supply drop worked on 2-3 walks a turn then it would go from way too random to potentially interesting....close to a coin flip I get the effect I want (since most of the effects have a use but you can't count on any of them as is).

For wong's upgrade at least it can be cheated but in most situations is super random and the effects are so marginal that the ap, set up, cheat cards aren't worth it. (maybe with htk models it could be ok to help bring them back over the top.)

Its so frustrating when I try so hard to find something good on the wave 5 gremlins and when I think I found something just going to the Ten Thunders or Arcanist pages makes me go "WTF this is broken AF"... Steamfitter, Midnight Stalker, Marlena Webster, Hinamatsu..... All Modells in other Factions that are so good gremlins cant even dream about getting an equivalent.