Gencon finals Ten T vs Ten T. Lets have some hype about this!!

Mxbedlam

So the final round of the single elim Tyrant Tournament at Gencon was Duncan's Asami vs Derrick's Mei Feng. This is pretty awesome seeing as how Ten T has struggled to get to the top echelons of  big tournaments in the past (see pre Yas/Asami).  Just wanted to give a shout out to these guys for repping the 3 Kingdoms and kicking butt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I was also pretty happy to hear an underrepresented master won, and especially with the tables apparently being fairly sparse it's nice to see a master win who isn't a super shooter.

Haha, her main thing is completely shutting down ranged actions so it seems like a pretty good meta pick for open boards where everyone spams shooters. She can bring her own shooters and tank up quite effectively from what I've seen, she's really weaker to melee power builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So we know what Duncan's list were, and it looks like he followed in his tradition of using only 1 list for a whole tournament.

Asami Tanaka + 5 Pool
- A Heavenly Design (2)
- Grasping Strands (1)
- The Peaceful Waters (0)
Kamaitachi (4)
Ama No Zako (9)
- Recalled Training (1)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
- A Taste For Flesh (1)
Yasunori (12)
- Smoke Grenades (1)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Monk Of Low River (4)

So yeah, I take back my previous statement about thinking neither of them running only Asami.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You sure? 

I'm seeing this on FB:

I played. 
50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
Asami Tanaka + 5 Pool
- A Heavenly Design (2)
- Grasping Strands (1)
Kamaitachi (4)
Ama No Zako (9)
- Recalled Training (1)
Ohaguro Bettari (8)
- A Taste For Flesh (1)
Yasunori (12)
- Smoke Grenades (1)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Monk Of Low River (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
The Brewmaster + 4 Pool
- Binge (1)
- Running Tab (2)
Apprentice Wesley (3)
Sensei Yu (9)
- Wandering River Style (2)
Ama No Zako (9)
- Recalled Training (1)
Yasunori (12)
- Smoke Grenades (1)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Monk Of Low River (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

50 SS Ten Thunders Crew
McCabe + 4 Pool
- Badge Of Speed (2)
- Glowing Saber (2)
- Hidden Agenda (0)
Kamaitachi (4)
Aionus (13)
- Smoke Grenades (1)
Shadow Emissary (10)
- Conflux of Exploration (0)
Chiaki The Niece (6)
- Pull Of The Grave (1)
Terracotta Warrior (5)
Monk Of Low River (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)

Day 2 was same except third round i played asami again. 

In the finals was the asami list. 

I was being lazy. And did not want to grab more models lol.

Seems like more than just Asami in there.

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Haha, her main thing is completely shutting down ranged actions so it seems like a pretty good meta pick for open boards where everyone spams shooters. She can bring her own shooters and tank up quite effectively from what I've seen, she's really weaker to melee power builds.

Duncan's Asami list was very melee heavy.  He took Yasunori, Ohaguro Bettari, and Ama no Zako.  So I'm not sure Mei Feng is weak to melee power builds.

20 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

I heard the winner didn't use Yasunori in the final. Were they mistaken or are these the lists of the person that came second?

Those are the lists for the person who came second. From what I could tell the winner's final round list was Mei Feng, 2x Obsidian Oni, Katanaka Sniper, Toshiro and the mechanized porkchop. No idea about upgrades and last model or two.

Here's his reasoning for Aionus. https://www.facebook.com/groups/AWYRDPLACE/permalink/685526434977757/?comment_id=685700828293651&reply_comment_id=685831821613885&comment_tracking={"tn"%3A"R0"}

For anyone not in AWP: "Few reasons. One i was playing arcanists in interferance. And two this whole list revolves around slow. Its better in stake than anything. But it was the quickest list i had with him in it."

On 22/08/2017 at 0:25 AM, skoatz said:

Duncan's Asami list was very melee heavy.  He took Yasunori, Ohaguro Bettari, and Ama no Zako.  So I'm not sure Mei Feng is weak to melee power builds.

To clarify myself: I said weaker and not weak. She doesn't have actions to shut down ml attacks like vent steam does with ranged ones.

I'm not sure that the list qualifies as a horrible ml beater list in my book. They hit things sure, but they're not dedicated beaters like some other models. Together they will probably cause less damage than pokey Vik or a peacekeeper under Hoffman will alone.

Anyway, glad Mei Feng did well! Yaz with smokebombs though... :(

• Like 1

Recalled Training doesn't strike me as being that important for Yasunori. He has a +flip built-in to his attack and his damage track is really flat. I mean it's good but it gives him much less than it does for say... Lone Swordsman, who has no +flips built-in and decently spiking damage track. Equality or Smoke Grenades seem far better for our pseudo rider.

It's a choice but I wouldn't say it's a tough one, not for me anyway.

And that McGabe upgrade sounds filthy.

• Like 2

I always like RT for the :+fate's it adds to defenses after you've plunged in, moreso than the still significant boost to his attacks. Generally lets you pull off either one more turn or drains a hand significantly if your opponent feels they have to get through. Smoke Grenades is very good until you've committed him in enemy lines - after that it loses a fair bit of effectiveness. But I do like both, just kinda depends on how in-your-face I want to play him.

• Like 1