Broken Promises Fluff Discussion

Mason

I really liked the stories in Broken Promises! I'm going to focus maybe on the one thing that bothered me, but I want to be positive too because genuiniely I thought it was great overall.

So, cool things to me: Zoraida is easily my favorite character in Malifaux, but it was cool seeing her get punked left and right in this book. Titania stymied her scrying, Nytemare tricked her into throwing Lilith into the Pit of Despair, and then the gremlins just kicked her out of the group entirely. It was a cool change of pace to just see her fail at everything, and I'm excited to see what she'll do next.

I liked the whole Outcast plot; nothing really to add to that, just that I'm interested to see where this goes.

Also, this is the first time I found myself giving a damn bout McMourning one way or the other. His interior monologue was interesting, and his decision to embrace madness and reject comfort was a great scene, made even better by Justice realizing that he was betraying her and that she couldn't stop him.

I loved the 10 Thunders story, and they are the best, but I am always slightly disappointed when Shenlong doesn't get any real screen time. I love him, and it was a great story that will set up more great stories, but it was so focussed on Misaki and I wish I'd got to see the other characters a little more.

So, OK, Arcanists. I want to like Ironsides, honestly I do, but y'all make it hard for me. Both here and in her introduction from Crossroads, I feel like her writing has always been a little forced. Like, it just doesn't feel authentic for a black person who lived through the equivalent of Jim Crow and the age of lynching to say something like "He was lynched for nothing more than the color of his skin." I love that Wyrd is willing to explore the racial politics of the world, but Toni's stories always end up feeling forced to me.

The worst part of the story wasn't that, exactly, though. Mostly the writing was very good, but another thing bothered me. We have it set up in the Guild's story that the papers are untrustworthy. Toni explains to the Governor General why she hates and distrusts the Guild. But just on his word, she stabs her mentor in the back? This is insane on it's face for anybody to do, but even more insane to me because Toni, of all people, should know better. Then the paper comes and says "Oh, there's no more racism in America!" and we're supposed to believe that? That isn't how the world works, man! Again, Toni knows first hand that that isn't how it works! She turned traitor to Ramos and got what in exchange? A pack of lies that, as the real world has shown, won't protect anybody from harm.

• Like 3

Our shopper on the spot at GenCon brought back a book another had preordered, and we were all reading over one another's shoulders. I found myself staring greedily at the new models' art. I never focused on the model art before: it was high quality but didn't grab me the way this did. Amazing stuff.

It isn't my book, so I won't get to read the fluff for awhile until I get my own, except for the little mechromancer (I couldn't help myself).  I'd guessed that she would be named Mary or Amy or something in that vein, but dubbed her Mara when the inquisitive child's art was first released (this was before I'd read Ripples of Fate), so it was a thrill to see her final name.

• Like 1

Got a brief look the other day.  Mostly looking at a couple models stats and a decent amount of the artwork.  Von Schill looks pretty freaking awesome, Dreamer I wasn't too crazy about, but his grown up Daydream with him looked awesome.  Reserving final judgement until I can see the picture for longer or until I see a render of a model.  All the other artwork I saw looked great.

• Like 1

I really really enjoyed the stories in this book.

When I first flipped through it I was disappointed at the lack of Vignettes for the Masters and a general "all together now" story. What a knee-jerk reaction that turned out to be!

All the stories advanced the plot, indicated major shifts in power within the factions, explored aspects of everyone's characters, and were fun and exciting to read! It's nice to see the current Governor General expanded into such a smart, dangerous, and powerful figure. 

Hopefully we get to see the story of Parker stealing the hanging tree sooner rather then later as that just sounds like it'd be a riot to read. I believe the old Governor General wanted it gone as it blocked the view of his home from the portal but I can't recall getting an opinion from the current Governor General. 

• Like 2

/begin spoiler-free

De do do do, de da da da
Is all I want to say to you
De do do do, de da da da
Their innocence will pull me through
De do do do, de da da da
Is all I want to say to you
De do do do, de da da da
They're meaningless and all that's true

/end spoiler-free

Just got the book in today, so of course I plowed through it in one sitting.

The Guild section was the weakest, I thought. I can see how it interweaves and of course Hoffman would develop a coffee machine, but it felt forced except for the parts where McCabe wasn't interacting with Nellie, and Lucius' section in general. I know office politics can be petty, but every time that poker game came up, it felt...yeah.

Rezzer section definitely kicked it up a notch. It was very exciting to see McMourning finally drop the pretense, and it'll be interesting to see what happens with him from here on out, especially if Wyrd is theming future Rezzer releases with his reveal, assuming he can more boldly stand against the Guild now (...unless Lady Justice failed to tell anyone...). Zombified Witch Hunters!

Arcanist one definitely had a big storyline twist with Ramos' capture, but on reflection and considering previous posts, Toni's heel turn feels a little weak as well. I think a scene where she follows up with Marlowe would have strengthened it, particularly since it was telegraphed pretty hardcore that she was going to turn on Ramos. Save the abolition reveal for the very end, and just have her jawing with Marlowe on more general philosophical points.

Neverborn was pretty straightforward, though I did love the reveal where Zoraida realizes that Titania was one step ahead of her. Also very interested to see what happens with Lilith. I assume she's going to get zombied as well, and I look forward to the Neverborn/Rezzer models in book 7 :P

Outcasts was funny in small parts but overall setting the scene. Going to be interesting to see follow-up stories where they really get things rolling.

Gremlins was great, even though I don't play them. Zoraida gets dunked on again (and I play her!)

Ten Thunders I liked the most, though I am incredibly biased. It was neat how Misaki subtly screwed up each plot and how each plot was woven back into the other factions (naturally). Also the fight scene was neat just because of how quick it was. Whick whap, off with your head.

• Like 2

Highly enjoyable writing once more.

Highlights:

- McMourning's inner dialogue without the influence of the Grave Spirit. Amazing character development, and wonderfully written.

- The big betrayal in the Guild story is over a card game. Excellently funny compared to the high stakes of the other plots.

- Sonia *witnessing* her deepest fears once more after an excellent confrontation with Viktor.

- Misaki. Get in, girl. More Ototo please! "Now you have the Thunder" <3

Lowlights:

- I know she's meant to still be earthside, but please bring our bae Kirai back to us. Molly and I miss her so...

- My Yan Lo fix from the Gencon event story still isn't fulfilled. I want to find out more about Lingxusi, especially since more people seem to know about it now!

- after book 4, no story will be good enough without having a bare minimum of Lucius in it. A whole book devoted to his schemes with the new GG and Titania is required, please!

• Like 3

On 8/25/2017 at 11:34 PM, Pyrflamme said:

Neverborn was pretty straightforward, though I did love the reveal where Zoraida realizes that Titania was one step ahead of her. Also very interested to see what happens with Lilith. I assume she's going to get zombied as well, and I look forward to the Neverborn/Rezzer models in book 7 :P

God I hope not.  I also hope we don't have to wait another year to find out what happens to her.  :(

1 hour ago, Champignon said:

Can anyone tell what is happening with Nico and Tara?

Nico's big thing is going to be what happens in the fight between him and Lady J. As far as the book goes, he planned and participated in an attack on the Guild HQ, with McMourning and Seamus, to stop a ritual that would have cut Rezzers off from the Grave Spirit, which is how Lady J twigged on who he was.

Tara didn't have a lot, the Outcast story was highly Von Schill oriented and focused mostly on his non-violent conflict with the new Governor-General and his plans to set up a new settlement for the mercenaries of Malifaux. She showed up at the meeting for the latter and distracted some poor sod with Karina when she wanted to get out of a boring conversation. She also got a bit with the Talos entry - construct from the old Malifaux inhabitants intended to cage the Tyrants but turned out too weak to do so, so they were left sitting until she found one and imbued it with a fragment of Obliteration's power.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

God I hope not.  I also hope we don't have to wait another year to find out what happens to her.  :(

Fairly certain that it was Titanias pact with the Grave Spirit that zombied her. Lilith might come out of these extremely pissed off, but I doubt she'll be undead.

10 hours ago, Champignon said:

So if no one ask...:) Can you folks tell me what happens to Reva? Will be happy to receive one more cool answer

She gets a big hug and her and Molly become best friends and they go on a spirit quest to find Kirai.

OK, actually, she doesn't get any screen time and is only mentioned once or twice in passing. Sorry. None of the Wave 4 Masters aside from Nellie and Titania really show up here.