Wave 5 Master Upgrades: Neverborn

WWHSD

4 hours ago, Sandmann said:

So Pandora can take Field Reporters now? I wonder what's the fluff behind that. Mechanically its nice, as the Reporters target WP, but I really don't know... seems Guild can't have anything nice that others won't immediately get too :)

How are guild reporters? Haven't played against any yet. Debating whether to get the Nellie box for them. 

21 minutes ago, catbat07 said:

I haven't actually read the upgrades, but from what's written above I don't see myself taking the melee attack. The amount of situations where I would want or need a melee attack are few and far between. This is mainly because Pull the Strings is amazing, and he can consistently put out 12 damage at range, ignoring cover, while giving out conditions. The doll summoning would be pretty good with a widow weaver.

I really don't see much of a point for the melee attack but I think that the Doll teleport looks pretty potent. Armor lowers the damage and it's not limited to Minions so can be used on Hinamatsu or the Emissary. Or with Stitched whose lack of speed is one of their main failings.

43 minutes ago, spikes said:

How are guild reporters? Haven't played against any yet. Debating whether to get the Nellie box for them. 

Short answer they are a pain to play against.

They have disguise, unimpeded at 4 point and there attack is vs wp and is designed for control at range 8. It has several triggers with the built in one being a 5 inch push back and then another that can give slow. Those are the two I tend to see the most which messes up my close combat focus play, hence i have been adding Hans or Angel Eye's to my crews. They may be killer in a Pandora crew because of hitting wp and being ok scheme runners, especially if you through in a Widow Weaver or some sorrows.

Bit surprised nobody's talked about how Dreamer's melee trigger with Growing Up upgrade and Serena giving someone Nightmare with the Warped Reality upgrade means that Dreamer can now teleport up any Minion or Enforcer into the enemy's face (Serena is his new best bud after all, look at her giving him new monsters to play with).  Thoughts?

Edit: I don't know Dreamer well enough to know if there's any other wild shenanigans they can get up to, but it sounded like a fun interaction when I was reading through it!

Is the new Dreamer upgrade worded like that? It would seem you could go Chompy activation, sac him to summon Dreamer, hit things with a bat 4 times, get buried to summon a new Chompy, and go through a full second activation of Chompy? Granted this would 'only' be a 2 AP Chompy, but potential of squeezing 8 ap out of your master seems pretty dope.

2 hours ago, chryspainthemum said:

Is the new Dreamer upgrade worded like that? It would seem you could go Chompy activation, sac him to summon Dreamer, hit things with a bat 4 times, get buried to summon a new Chompy, and go through a full second activation of Chompy? Granted this would 'only' be a 2 AP Chompy, but potential of squeezing 8 ap out of your master seems pretty dope.

It seems like the only thing that the card does (besides giving Daydreams an attack) is to allow The Dreamer and LCB to chain activate each other.

Before book 5 was it possible to activate LCB, sacrifice him to unbury The Dreamer, activate The Dreamer and bury him to bring back LCB, and then activate the new LCB? If not, I don't think that anything changes.

I just realized that you were refering to the other upgrade. Yeah, it looks like you could. You do need to do damage to be able to raise or lower your Waking condition. It seems like it won't be common to be able to do damage on 4 consecutive atracks unless you can get yourself engaged with a couple of easier to hit models at a time.

14 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I just realized that you were refering to the other upgrade. Yeah, it looks like you could. You do need to do damage to be able to raise or lower your Waking condition. It seems like it won't be common to be able to do damage on 4 consecutive atracks unless you can get yourself engaged with a couple of easier to hit models at a time.

You definitely need to more carefully choose your targets, but the game isn't short on Df 4-5 models with high wounds to wail on. You don't even really need to worry about Armour or Hard to Wound, since if the model is still standing they've got Chompy in their face to finish them off.

3 hours ago, -Loki- said:

You definitely need to more carefully choose your targets, but the game isn't short on Df 4-5 models with high wounds to wail on. You don't even really need to worry about Armour or Hard to Wound, since if the model is still standing they've got Chompy in their face to finish them off.

You can also summon daydreams as always to get waking +4, but I thought you couldn t chain activate more than once per activation.

10 minutes ago, Azkral said:

You can also summon daydreams as always to get waking +4, but I thought you couldn t chain activate more than once per activation.

You can't. So you'll need to do the Chompy>Dreamer or Dreamer>Chompy as a chain activation. Which one is up to you.

Summoning Daydreams is another way but if you've taken Growing Up, you're going to be wanting to be hitting things. It's what you brought the upgrade for.

9 minutes ago, Palooka said:

How's everyone feeling about the Pandora summoning one? I feel like it'll be a really interesting way to play with her and it doesn't seem bad either.

It's going to take a while for people to get into it. Pandora is very set in her ways as far as playstyle. I think the biggest advantage of the upgrade is being able to take Field Reporters. Summoning a Sorrow is a pretty high card with a decent amount of set up needed just for a Sorrow. Field Reporters have some good synergy with Pandora and her usual models.

10 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

It's going to take a while for people to get into it. Pandora is very set in her ways as far as playstyle. I think the biggest advantage of the upgrade is being able to take Field Reporters. Summoning a Sorrow is a pretty high card with a decent amount of set up needed just for a Sorrow. Field Reporters have some good synergy with Pandora and her usual models.

I do agree - a ten of masks is a bit of an ask - but I feel like I usually spend all my high cards with her anyway. I feel like it'll be a great way to get activation control and then burn the hell out of people with Misery damage. I foresee a really big avalance when things go right - because if you can get say 4 sorrows in a nice tight space at the end of a turn and burn someone with something as simple as an incite, then you get yourself a poltergeist... lots of fun stuff. I don't think it'll be an easy playstyle but I never found Pandora a particularly easy master to play with anyway.

1 hour ago, Palooka said:

I do agree - a ten of masks is a bit of an ask - but I feel like I usually spend all my high cards with her anyway. I feel like it'll be a great way to get activation control and then burn the hell out of people with Misery damage. I foresee a really big avalance when things go right - because if you can get say 4 sorrows in a nice tight space at the end of a turn and burn someone with something as simple as an incite, then you get yourself a poltergeist... lots of fun stuff. I don't think it'll be an easy playstyle but I never found Pandora a particularly easy master to play with anyway.

Yeah. I think the reason it's such a high card is while they come in with Slow, you don't really want them to move. You want them close to models to ping Misery and also activate in base contact for Life Leech. They probably didn't go with summoning on low wounds because they're fragile enough as it is.

The bonus with Field Reporters is they have a nice 8" range attack to target Wp. So Pandora can get some Sorrows out into a cluster of enemies, maybe get a Web marker in there, and the Field Reporters can ping Misery. Also if they get Assaulted on the models, they take 3 damage on activation thanks to both the Assaulted condition and Life Leech.

It's going to be fun giving this new playstyle a try. Pandora is hands down my favourite master, so getting a whole new playstyle is great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Yeah. I think the reason it's such a high card is while they come in with Slow, you don't really want them to move. You want them close to models to ping Misery and also activate in base contact for Life Leech. They probably didn't go with summoning on low wounds because they're fragile enough as it is.

The bonus with Field Reporters is they have a nice 8" range attack to target Wp. So Pandora can get some Sorrows out into a cluster of enemies, maybe get a Web marker in there, and the Field Reporters can ping Misery. Also if they get Assaulted on the models, they take 3 damage on activation thanks to both the Assaulted condition and Life Leech.

It's going to be fun giving this new playstyle a try. Pandora is hands down my favourite master, so getting a whole new playstyle is great.

I have a feeling people will have less of a bug up their ass about the playstyle too. It'll do massive damage when it goes off and kill a lot of stuff - but people seem to have less issue with models dying than paralyzing models in my experience. 

5 hours ago, Palooka said:

I have a feeling people will have less of a bug up their ass about the playstyle too. It'll do massive damage when it goes off and kill a lot of stuff - but people seem to have less issue with models dying than paralyzing models in my experience. 

If you killed their 10ss models with a single ap they might take offence. Paralyzing renders models useless in a single ap when they counted on it soaking a lot more.

2 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

I don't think the setup is that hard either. Plenty of models and crews apply conditions to themselves for Pandora to take advantage of summoning off of.

Eh it clears the condition, so while it's possible to activate and summon three sorrows, it's hard to get them around a single dude. Which really cuts down on the damage. And Pandora not paralyzing beaters/terrifying 13 means she's significantly easier to kill. Not saying anything about the quality of the upgrade, won't know that until I play, it's just the summoning aspect will really eat your hand (as it should).

Pandora's my favourite Master, but I think I'll still be defaulting to Box most of the time. Of the new upgrades, I'm most excited for Dreamer and Titania. Did not care for Titania before, but these new options seem like a lot of fun.

6 minutes ago, chryspainthemum said:

Eh it clears the condition, so while it's possible to activate and summon three sorrows, it's hard to get them around a single dude. Which really cuts down on the damage. And Pandora not paralyzing beaters/terrifying 13 means she's significantly easier to kill. Not saying anything about the quality of the upgrade, won't know that until I play, it's just the summoning aspect will really eat your hand (as it should).

Pandora's my favourite Master, but I think I'll still be defaulting to Box most of the time. Of the new upgrades, I'm most excited for Dreamer and Titania. Did not care for Titania before, but these new options seem like a lot of fun.

It gives the option of ending conditions to the controller of the model you're summoning off of, so you definitely can get 3 sorrows on one model if they don't end the condition.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2017 at 5:43 AM, chryspainthemum said:

This was possible before, but you needed to make Dreamer fast for it to work, because the ability which gave waking on SH attacks only worked if Chompy had not activated that turn. And the only way to make Dreamer fast was to hire Student of Conflict, so no Daydreams. (Although as said Chain activation is limited to 2, so the 3rd activation has to be after the enemy gets an activation) 

you'll have to carefully read the new one to work out if it is possible. I don't have exact wording. 

2 hours ago, Adran said:

This was possible before, but you needed to make Dreamer fast for it to work, because the ability which gave waking on SH attacks only worked if Chompy had not activated that turn. And the only way to make Dreamer fast was to hire Student of Conflict, so no Daydreams. (Although as said Chain activation is limited to 2, so the 3rd activation has to be after the enemy gets an activation) 

you'll have to carefully read the new one to work out if it is possible. I don't have exact wording. 

It is possible. The only restriction on the cricket bat raising or lowering waking is if it does damage.

6 hours ago, -Loki- said:

The point of the ability is you can start with a non-Poltergeist Totem (the Primordial Magic) and then have the choice to summon in a Poltergeist on a later turn. Or replace a lost/badly wounded Poltergeist.

Or indeed - no Totem at all. But I like the idea of starting with a Primordial Magic, Dig Graves with it turn 2, then summon a Poltergeist off your horde of Misery damage. :)