Wave 5 Upgrade Hoedown

Boomstick

Let's pool our info on what our drunken brethren at GenCon have found out about the new upgrades!

I know Brewie got some fun ones.

2ss with an aura to do 2 extra damage when enemies tick poison, and a (0) to summon Westly if he's not there.

And a 1ss to give him a mask when targetting poisoned enemies, so easy Obey on the drunkards. And a (1) to put out a pulse makinh enemies pass a Wk duel or take 2 damage.

I've had pretty good success with him as is, but these will open up a bit more direct playstyle, methinks.

What's everybody else know?

• Like 4

Mah got nice upgrades to allow her Get Of My land for her crew every turn, +1'' Rg for her spoon, draw the card when she discards card which is not part of the duel (sweet!) and can create markers which can put Slow on opponent (looks like Lass will be back to game thanks to this last upgrade :P).

Ophelia can get upgrade with Instinctual and Plink 2 plus can generate marker to which Kin model can push nicely to.

Ulix got upgrade to make his summoned Pigs not getting Slow and if Pig dies it heals other Pigs nearby plus I think other upgrade to push his Pigs towards enemy.

Somer got nothing great (surprise! :D) - upgrade with trigger on his melee attack to create Skeeter and other to buff melee for Bayou Gremlins when they go Drunk and Reckless.

Rest to follow... 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Let's pool our info on what our drunken brethren at GenCon have found out about the new upgrades!

I know Brewie got some fun ones.

2ss with an aura to do 2 extra damage when enemies tick poison, and a (0) to summon Westly if he's not there.

And a 1ss to give him a mask when targetting poisoned enemies, so easy Obey on the drunkards. And a (1) to put out a pulse makinh enemies pass a Wk duel or take 2 damage.

I've had pretty good success with him as is, but these will open up a bit more direct playstyle, methinks.

What's everybody else know?

Omg I guessed it :D. Mask for the obey if your poisoned seemed like it would make him quite a bit better. I want to clarify is it only enemy models that this works on or is it any poisoned model (I hope its the latter otherwise it definitely loses a bunch of value).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, daniello_s said:

Mah got nice upgrades to allow her Get Of My land for her crew every turn, +1'' Rg for her spoon, draw the card when she discards card which is not part of the duel (sweet!) and can create markers which can put Slow on opponent (looks like Lass will be back to game thanks to this last upgrade :P).

That imo sounds like should have been errata to fix some of Mah issues. Hopefully it is at least a 0pt upgrade?

12 minutes ago, green-n-dumb said:

In my club chat everyone is so happy with upgrades, and Somer has a trashcan instead of them.

Som'er didn't really need a huge buff, and his Higher Proof upgrade seems pretty good to me. +1 Sh and can't declare triggers means your Bayou Gremlins suddenly become a lot more reliable, instead of relying on somehow getting a Dumb Luck attack through and killing themselves (or others) in the process. A lot of the new upgrades give whole new playstyles to Masters, but Som'er was already versatile enough - both of his new upgrades are 1ss and not limited, which means they can supplement what he already has.

• Like 1

The only Master with a o SS cost upgrade is Tara, because she's an outcast AND a Resser so why not apply more effort to fixing her? I really think that upgrade goes a long way towards helping Mah but a couple more tweaks would be nice. Maybe no tn on horrible hollerin, make Too much makeup until next activation and possibly even lead lined apron built in since Lass might be on trap duty more often? I'll still use her because I love the model and theme and most of what she does. I'll just regret not taking Zipp instead some time around turn 3.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anumberone said:

The only Master with a o SS cost upgrade is Tara, because she's an outcast AND a Resser so why not apply more effort to fixing her? I really think that upgrade goes a long way towards helping Mah but a couple more tweaks would be nice. Maybe no tn on horrible hollerin, make Too much makeup until next activation and possibly even lead lined apron built in since Lass might be on trap duty more often? I'll still use her because I love the model and theme and most of what she does. I'll just regret not taking Zipp instead some time around turn 3.

Would Sammy be better for the traps?

I agree the fixes go a long way to help her, but it strikes me more of errata than a real upgrade (especially because for her to really just do what she wants to do it feels like you must take this upgrade).

granted she might still get errata in January that helps her in different ways (example make her chores better or less reliant on needing a :ram or some useful triggers to deal with more situations). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzinatah said:

Som'er didn't really need a huge buff, and his Higher Proof upgrade seems pretty good to me. +1 Sh and can't declare triggers means your Bayou Gremlins suddenly become a lot more reliable, instead of relying on somehow getting a Dumb Luck attack through and killing themselves (or others) in the process. A lot of the new upgrades give whole new playstyles to Masters, but Som'er was already versatile enough - both of his new upgrades are 1ss and not limited, which means they can supplement what he already has.

So only getting +1 sh and cant declare trigger is a Cuddle to damage vs a normal target and you still take two wounds.  I'd prefer to focus shoot and hit with the rams that somer is going to provide it hits for 4-6 most of the time with a neutral damage flip (using bayou two card as an option). I wish it was just +1 sh.

One positive is that it is pretty decent vs resilient models that are def 3-4 (high armor or impossible to wound) also it gives bayou a fall back for damage if you cant or don't want to provide rams that turn with do it like this. Lastly it does have a decent amount of potential to cause opponents to waste a lot of mid- high card defending the last few wounds on an important model (odds to hit are in your favor due to bayou two card & +1 sh).

Overall imo C- not an F but so niche and since most of somers other upgrades are better who would use it over encouragement, family tree, dirty cheater, or can of beans.

Opehlia's seem kind of interesting. She can load the upgraded plink and instinctual upgrade and Sammy can carry the 2nd upgrade. From what I heard this will allow Sammy to help move Ophelia around and heal her while Ophelia becomes the tankiest master we have. Not sure this will actually make her useful or help her, but it makes her interesting. 

3 hours ago, maca1066 said:

I am pretty sure Wong gets another upgrade that effects models with magical condition they gain don't mind me and something else.

second one gives him a 3 AP attacks that lightning kicks everyone (like von Schill but better)

It seems weird to have magical models interact, since they're mainly beaters. The 3AP attack is a bit of a trap in my opinion...not sure, they both seem underwhelming to me.

Pardon my pessimism, but this is the situation as I see it:

- Ophelia is a struggling master, what she needed, especially after the Lenny cuddle, was a reliable and consistent way to put out damage. Getting a second 0 doesn't help much, and I've never used plink much in the first place. The other "trash" upgrade is just weird...

- Somer is a great well-rounded master, didn't need much...and in fact didn't get much. +1Sh to Bayous is a very minor thing, considering they pay 2Wds for it, and the pig prodder...yet another thing I've used perhaps once. Awful.

- Wong is great, but these upgrades leave me a bit puzzled: magical is often on beaters (built-in on Swinecursed) so it's weird to use those to interact...and the 3AP attack is potentially nice, but it is a bit putting all your eggs in a basket, and it would only be worth it if 4+ models are in range and LoS. The Oooh Aah is just another one of those random things. Potentially heal enemies or gift them a scheme marker? Wtf?

- Mah got a little help, the +1 range and extra push from Get off my land are nice, and the pit traps are a cute nuisance but that's all they are. She's probably still beyond salvation and sadly still one of our most struggling masters

- Brewie: both his upgrades insist on Poison, when this has been clearly demonstrated to be the less viable route for him (expert Brewie players like @Math Mathonwy can confirm). Sure now you can do more Poison damage and it's easier to Obey Poisoned models,  but the problem with Brewie is reliably and consistently spread poison around. I would have liked to see an aura sort of thing where models get poisoned...even his new Explosive Mixture does kind of that, but puts 2 dmg instead...

- Ulix got a nice upgrade with the Midwife, summoning non-slow and an extra healing for 1SS is nice, the other upgrade is also ok (but if the pigs were already in Cg range, they could have simply charged...)

- Zoraida can choose to perform a more powerful Obey and/or Bewitch...both require an extra mask and cost 2SS though. The other one is more interesting, trying to get her towards the Poison route..which, I think is a bit of a trap. But interesting still.

-  Zipp is arguably one of the top masters and in fact he got terrible upgrades. Supply Drop is totally random and likely to provide you with the wrong option more often than not. The other one is so weird...what happens if the Bayou dies, for example? And Mood Swing, really? I'm really confused.

Overall, I'm extremely disappointed as I can see myself using perhaps only the Ulix upgrade, and a couple of other ones just for fun. It's especially more disappointing considering that, instead, several masters in the other factions got nice boosts, both struggling ones like Lady J, and ones that are powerful already (Leveticus's upgrades are both pretty brutal)!

4 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

Whatever gets me vp. If my beaters, or semi beaters, can put out a cheeky marker it sounds good to me.

Wouldn't it be better if designated scheme runners put out the marker instead? It's like using Nekima to do Claim Jump....ehm, you can do it if you want...

As @daniello_s remarked above, Wong will still run with Oooo Glowy 99% of the times.