Rasputina freeze over and master advice

MSKmagic

Question

Using Rasputina's Freeze Over cast action can you target your own engaged model and hence paralyse the enemies in base to base contact? If your friendly target has Frozen Heart are they then immune to the paralyses but the enemies still get it? 

Also, if you're interested, I'm relatively new to the game and I've joined a shifting loyalties campaign. Time to buy a master but I've got a mixed crew of arcanists: Joss, Kudra, Mech Rider, Arcane Emmisary, 1 Oxfordian Mage, 2 December Acolytes to choose from. The masters I can choose from are Rasputina, Sandeep, or Ramos. One problem is that for this game week I can only afford the master and not any upgrades (you even have to pay scrip for 0 upgrades). 

I'll have to face Asami and a ten thunders crew in one game and Nicodem with some rezzers in another. Reconnoiter, Distract, Vendetta, Assasinate, Bodyguard.

At the moment I'm thinking Rasputina and the Wendigo to paralyse and eat things. The acolytes can be her ice mirrors and she can give out frozen heart and armour +2 if needed.

If anyone can see a better course then feel free to illuminate me.

2 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, MSKmagic said:

Using Rasputina's Freeze Over cast action can you target your own engaged model and hence paralyse the enemies in base to base contact? If your friendly target has Frozen Heart are they then immune to the paralyses but the enemies still get it?

You can target your own model or the opposing model. Since they are engaged, if the attack has a :ranged you'll still end up randomizing (page 48 call out box, page 50 detail). Your model being immune to paralyze does not stop the attack if it hits them, just stops the Frozen Heart model from getting the condition.

This is a common tactic within Rasputina and Frozen Heart crews, as if it hits your model you relent and get the effect without any further ado, and if it hits the opposing model they're having to worry about stopping it from going off.

Note: for opinions/advice on masters, I strongly recommend going to the Faction-specific areas and picking brains there. This space is intended for rules queries, not opinions on crew selection for scenarios.