Alpha and upgrade cards.

WWHSD

Question

When Marcus is controlling a model is he able to spend their upgrade cards?

If he uses Alpha on Johan and Johan has Oathkeeper can the Marcus player decide to discard Oathkeeper at the start of the Alpha activation?

If Marcus uses Alpha on an Oxfordian Mage that has Well Rehearsed equipped can that Mage decide to keep a model that is friendly to it alive? I'm imagining the Mage attacking a target, stacking some burning, attacking again and reducing the target to 0 wounds, and then using Well Rehearsed to keep the target alive, only to have it die from burning at the end of the turn.

6 answers to this question

FAQ 83 has a very similar question.

83) If a Guild model has the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade and is temporarily controlled by an enemy (for example: during Obey) can the enemy choose to discard the Vengeance Bullet Upgrade if it is taking an Sh Action against a model which can use Soulstones? Yes.

I'm quite sure you can't discard oath keeper or imbued energies though. Both of those require you to do it at the start of the models activation and the model being obeyed doesn't activate.

Collodis idle hands condition *might* but even here I'm quite sure you're past the start of activation requirement. 

19 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

I'm quite sure you can't discard oath keeper or imbued energies though. Both of those require you to do it at the start of the models activation and the model being obeyed doesn't activate.

Collodis idle hands condition *might* but even here I'm quite sure you're past the start of activation requirement. 

Alpha makes the model take a complete activation. The above amser clarifies that you can discard upgrades that get discarded when taking an action so why not those that take an entire activation.

17 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

Marcus's Alpha is an Activation of the model, not just a controlled Action like Obey.

17 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

The "A New Thread" Condition wouldn't be able to use the 'start of Activation' choices because the timing is wrong.  You don't get to make those choices just because it's the "start of Activation" step.