My problem with Burt Jebson

Finalscene

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and take him in about half my lists, but does anyone else realize that there's a massive error on his card? He's a mercenary. A mercenary that can be hired by the guild, neverborn and....the ten thunders? The crime syndicate which supposedly burned down his village in the fluff? The secret society that he swore vengence on and fuels his desire to be an action hero? It doesn't sit with me. Lazarus has "hate the maker" which makes it so he can't be hired by guild, why can't Burt have "Fear the thunder" or something similar.

• Like 3

I agree with Finalscene, I have the same problem with Johanna/Johan. The whole fluff is about hating Arcanists/MNSU and yet a so much of the card works w/ the MNSU :+fateto attack if she is near MNSU, healing them etc...so you work well with them but hate them...ok...?!?

PS I do love playing the models she's great for Ramos crews and Ironsides, so no problems there 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Yeah I was surprised when I read that piece of fluff. And I think TT is one of the better factions to hire him as a merc, alongside Guild.

So... come January Wyrd will replace Reckless with Fear the Thunder (gotta find that space somewhere am I right)? All in favour say yay.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

if burt wasn't a mercenary there would be 10x more salt about gremlins, at least this way anyone can benefit from his power

Burt is long enough with us and so far there was no issue about running him in Gremlins crews so I'm not sure about this 10x of more salt thing ;)

3 hours ago, monkeyking68 said:

If I recall correctly, Burt was not able to be hired by Ten Thunders in ME1.

Well considering that the Ten Thunders (nor Gremlins for that matter) where a faction (Misaki and the Gremlins were under the auspices of the Outcast faction) you are correct. However, Burt was a Mercenary in 1st edition and is fairly similar to his current M2e incarnation.

9 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

Well considering that the Ten Thunders (nor Gremlins for that matter) where a faction (Misaki and the Gremlins were under the auspices of the Outcast faction) you are correct. However, Burt was a Mercenary in 1st edition and is fairly similar to his current M2e incarnation.

I just checked Storm of Shadows and TT was a Faction and Burt had Enmity towards the whole Faction so couldn't be hired if the crew included any TT models. Also, if the opponent declared TT as their Faction, Burt received the Comes Cheap rule (no Merc tax).

TT didn't have any models that were wholly their own, though - all were Dual Faction. And Gremlins indeed were not a Faction but a weird separate part of the Outcasts with strong hiring restrictions (I know you remembered that - just for others).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I think we need to take a step back and cuddle ALL THE MODELS! 

GG-18 should just replace all attacks with (1) Soft warm cuddles: range :melee1 0/0/0 When resolving say something nice to your opponent. Dangerous terrain is now cuddly terain.

1ty70f.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Why stop there!? Cuddlefaux, where the breach opens into a land of pillows, ice cream, and good feelings!

• Like 2

On 11/08/2017 at 9:09 PM, Omenbringer said:

Thanks for the save again Math. Should have grabbed the book.

Wasn't Lazarus the only other model that had something similar?

Lazarus still couldn't be hired by guild. Ototo had enmity Zoraida just so she couldn't hire him, but I know of no story reason about it. Wong couldn't be hired by TT either.

I can't think of other enmity off the top of my head, although there were lots of other subtle hiring restrictions. (Nix could only be hired with Hamlin, Alyce with Construct Masters, no more than 1 special force, if you hired a Friekorps as a merc you couldn't hire a non friekorps merc) )

On 8/15/2017 at 3:04 AM, Adran said:

Lazarus still couldn't be hired by guild. Ototo had enmity Zoraida just so she couldn't hire him, but I know of no story reason about it. Wong couldn't be hired by TT either.

I can't think of other enmity off the top of my head, although there were lots of other subtle hiring restrictions. (Nix could only be hired with Hamlin, Alyce with Construct Masters, no more than 1 special force, if you hired a Friekorps as a merc you couldn't hire a non friekorps merc) )

I think it was because they wanted to give Ototo garbage defense (goes with his fluff), but didn't want to put such a cost effective beater into the hands of Zoraida and her Obeys.  Animosity was a functional, but clunky, way around that limitation.

I only remember Ototo with Animosity Zoraida, and I agree that it was their just because he had Wp 4 and they didn't want him as an entrall target for her.  I can't remember them using the ability before Storm of Shadows, but I could easily be wrong

Edit - CheersClockworkspide I went and looked through all my books, after I posted, and whilst I spotted wastrels I missed Iggy