TTB Core Location immuto question

Oni_no_chinmoku

1 hour ago, BlinD RoniN said:

What do you all think on allowing a player to use the location immuto with say raise the dead magia? Would it work like that it does it need the inanimate immuto added? Or does it not work at all?

It really depends where on the situation, raise dead wouldn't make sense for location from r divination would make sense. Do I make sense?

1 hour ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

It really depends where on the situation, raise dead wouldn't make sense for location from r divination would make sense. Do I make sense?

Yes, but it does say "every character in target location is effected by the spell."  So the argument is that theyy have to be characters, but would using the inanimate genus would effect this spell to work with the raise dead magia?

I'd most likely allow it in my campaign... this would essentially let the caster use Raise Undead to animate every corpse in a morgue instead of just one corpse, as an example.  This is fine in my view: the base Range on Raise Undead is only 5 yards; the Alter Range Immuto would need to be added one or more times to get it to work from farther away.  The newly-raised Undead will only be under control for 10 minutes, so either the spell must be re-cast at the end of that duration, or the Increased Duration Immuto would also need to be added initially.  

And, let us not forget: uncontrolled Undead are typically violent and don't have issues with attacking the person who animated them....

Yep, I'd most likely allow it!  :D

• Haha 1

That sounds all well and good until you factor in the Necromancer Pursuit talent that makes undead stay under your control until they are killed.

Isn't that a touch powerful then?

Move from graveyard to graveyard pulse raising the dead until you have hundreds?! 

Sure the Guild would come down on you like a tonne of bricks, as would Nicodem most likely (for stealing his cannon fodder) and you can only control a number equal to charm at once (assuming you have the talent to allow that as well) but even so... 

Potentially, you could have a whole lot of zombies under your control, but that's not much help if you have to enter the civilized areas of the city or take a train to Ridley. It's not a bad way to ensure that you have a whole lot of zombies in reserve, but at some point, moving them a handful at a time becomes more time consuming than it's worth.

Plus, as you noted, if you're not careful, the Death Marshals are going to move the zombie horde to the top of their priority list, and necromancers definitely do not want Lady Justice up in their business.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sycorax said:

The necromancer in my group was looking into this themselves. 

Are there rules for Lady Justice?! 

I might need her!!

I don't think that she's had stats yet... but it seems likely that they will show up sometime in the future.

Heck, nobody wants zombie hordes in their backyard. In "civilized" areas, it'll be Death Marshals and Lady J. In the Badlands it'll be Nephilim and Nekima/Lilith. Other ressers will want control. In the north you'll have the issue of Arcanist/Guild escalation of force and constant conflict making it hard to cache your followers near at hand (they're busy hunting down each other's spies and caches) and you have to deal with the fact that December is not going to be too keen about anything connected to the Grave Spirit being nearby. The Ten Thunders are sacrificing their Three Kingdoms presence to increase their foothold here, and they're certainly not going to stand idle with regards to rogue elements. Care to store your zombies in the Bayou? :mask

If you're running a game and you've got a Necromancer in the party trying to raise an army, there are many things that can be used to keep that in check.

I'm not saying kill your player's character and/or destroy all their efforts. Escalate as needed.

• If they're starting to get cocky with their graverobbing and cache of zombies, post Guild bounty notices around town. Make it harder for them to get around places even by themselves without seeing stuff that tells them that the Guild is starting to figure out who they are and where they live.
  • Introduce hazard challenges where zombies are a liability (look at the fluff for McMourning when the Guild is investigating missing Guild Guardsmen who disappeared near the morgue).
  • If they haven't cooled down and decided to lay low and be a more discreet member of the Fated crew, have them get ambushed by Death Marshals. Let them get away, but now they're being hounded and have less (or no) followers. Even Nicodem knows to disappear if a Death Marshal pays him a visit.

If you reach a point where you need Lady J on the table to bring your player back in line with the story, then the game has been derailed (in my opinion) and it might be time to end the session and go back and review the Session Zero stuff where you as the Fatemaster and your players as the Fated discussed expectations of the game.

If it hasn't derailed and your intended climax is to have the Fated have a hostile encounter with Lady J.. well.. she's a master, so you can assume she's a high ranked character (13-14) and that all of her results are 20+. Once some stats have been released for her, then you'll have some canon resources.

• Like 1

The thing about putting together a cache of undead is that:

• Every other ressurectionist would love to find your cache of undead so that they can use them.
  • The bigger the cache, the easier it is to find.
  • And there's also the various opposed forces that would end up locating and destroying the cache, either by accident or because they're "adventurers".
  • If the player gives you a vague, non-specific answer when you ask "So where are you going to put your undead horde?" that horde should be ripped off (or torn apart) faster than unattended expensive car in a poor neighborhood.

I mean, Nicodem amassing that huge army without anyone noticing was a big deal.  The fact that he killed so many ressurectionists to do so probably wasn't a coincidence.  ^_^ And anyone who thinks that amassing an army of anything, living or dead, and then keeping that army together is easy hasn't thought the matter through.

This message brought to you by the Committee Who Has Listened To A Party Of Pathfinder Evil Characters.  :P

• Like 2