Jump to content

We're currently updating the site and a few things may run slow or not as expected at the moment. Give us a day or two to get everything sorted out and changed up if you would.

One of the new things you'll see about are the 'sticky notes' which you will occasionally see from the site Admins if something important shows up or is newsworthy, or if you happen to be in one of our many beta testing groups giving you an additional heads up when something new needs to be looked at or sorted.

You can send these amongst yourselves as well if you wish, just don't abuse it. 

Thanks for your patience!

Nathan Caroland Nathan Caroland
  • 0
WWHSD

Ice Dancers and Pounce.

Question

WWHSD   

If an Ice Dancer charges a Rougarou, is there any way to avoid granting it attack from Pounce at the end of her activation without the Ice Dancer leaving its engagement range?

It looks like the push from Forward Momentum is not optional. A push of up to 4" should include a 0" push if you didn't want the Ice Dancer to move. For the purposes of triggering Pounce, a 0" push is still a push, right? 


"Forward Momentum: At the end of this
model's Activation, push this model up to 2" for
each Walk Action it took and up to 4" for each
Charge Action it took during the Activation."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 4
Adran   

In a combination of a model suffering 0 damage did not suffer daamge, and a pig pushing 0 did not push (FAQ answers 17 and 127) and I say that pushign 0 inch does not count as a push. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3

I disagree. There are two separate and distinct steps to a push/move/etc.

In my mind you push following all of the restrictions (towards model X, away from model X, Y inches, up to Y inches, etc.) of the push.  The direction and distance are determined at this time.  The rule book says in the case of an "up to" push the controller chooses how far the model is pushed up to the maximum distance.  Since 0 is less than the maximum distance, it is a valid choice.  You can push 0 inches.  This may be by choice, or compulsory (e.g. if you are required to push toward a model you are in base contact with).  At this point you have pushed 0 inches.

Quote

 

Big Book pg 43:  Usually, when a model is pushed it must be moved as close to the maximum distance of the push as possible, in a straight line. However, some push effects will state that a model is pushed "up to" a distance. In this case, the controller of the pushing effect may choose how far the model is pushed, up to the maximum distance.

 

 

Next you determine if a push took place for traits that react to pushes.  The FAQ entry was created to address issues where models were being lured 0" inches and pounced on.  The intent is to address whether a push/move/etc. is considered to have taken place once a 0 in push/move/etc. has been completed.  Not to say 0" pushes/moves/etc. are not allowed.

Quote

 

If a model moves (or is Pushed, Falls, is Placed, etc) 0" (zero inches), does it count as having moved?
No. Same answer for Pushing, Falling, Placement, etc.

 

 

 

 

This is consistent with how damage is applied.  A model takes X damage, damage may be reduced/prevented, if damage was reduced/prevented to 0 no damage was taken.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2
Myyrä   
6 minutes ago, Artiee said:

Yes..  That is what it means.    It does not say you may push up to x".    A 0" push is not a push as per the FAQ quoted.  

It doesn't count as having been pushed, which isn't necessarily the same thing. If an action says it deals damage, but some ability reduces the damage to 0 the model doesn't count as being damaged, but the action was still resolved.

A model that is in base contact with another model or impassable terrain won't actually be pushed anywhere if it is pushed towards the model/slash terrain, but I would still allow choosing to push in that direction if the ability or action states that the push can be into any direction. I don't see how choosing to push 0" when an ability says push up to x" is any different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
solkan   
56 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

If an Ice Dancer charges a Rougarou, is there any way to avoid granting it attack from Pounce at the end of her activation without the Ice Dancer leaving its engagement range?

It looks like the push from Forward Momentum is not optional. A push of up to 4" should include a 0" push if you didn't want the Ice Dancer to move. For the purposes of triggering Pounce, a 0" push is still a push, right? 

From the FAQ:

24. If a model moves (or is Pushed, Falls, is Placed, etc) 0" (zero inches), does it count as having moved?

No. Same answer for Pushing, Falling, Placement, etc. 

 

So, no, a 0" push isn't a push.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
solkan   
9 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Does that mean that an Ice Dancer must move at least slightly at the end of any activation in which she charged or walked?

No, I don't believe that's what it means.

There's a separation between how much damage a model does to a target and how much the target suffers.  In the same manner, there's a separation between the act of pushing and effects triggered by something being pushed.  Or for that matter a separation between how far an effect says to push something and both how far and whether there's actually a push that happens.

A push of 0" isn't a push as far as things that are triggered by pushed or being pushed.  Likewise, a 'push four inches' effect that stops immediately because of base contact so it ends up being a push of zero inches doesn't trigger effects effects for being pushed.

In other words, an "up to" movement is effectively optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
Myyrä   
Just now, Artiee said:

 And the FAQ says that a push of 0" is not a push.    So that rules out 0" push.

Except the FAQ doesn't really say that, as I already pointed out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
WWHSD   
26 minutes ago, solkan said:

From the FAQ:

24. If a model moves (or is Pushed, Falls, is Placed, etc) 0" (zero inches), does it count as having moved?

No. Same answer for Pushing, Falling, Placement, etc. 

 

So, no, a 0" push isn't a push.

 

Does that mean that an Ice Dancer must move at least slightly at the end of any activation in which she charged or walked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I can see the argument that if you push 0 inches it is not a push, so you didn't push which it says to do.  But I would say you can push 0 inches voluntarily.  Which is no push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Artiee   
On 8/4/2017 at 0:22 PM, WWHSD said:

Does that mean that an Ice Dancer must move at least slightly at the end of any activation in which she charged or walked?

Yes..  That is what it means.    It does not say you may push up to x".    A 0" push is not a push as per the FAQ quoted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Artiee   
2 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

It doesn't count as having been pushed, which isn't necessarily the same thing. If an action says it deals damage, but some ability reduces the damage to 0 the model doesn't count as being damaged, but the action was still resolved.

A model that is in base contact with another model or impassable terrain won't actually be pushed anywhere if it is pushed towards the model/slash terrain, but I would still allow choosing to push in that direction if the ability or action states that the push can be into any direction. I don't see how choosing to push 0" when an ability says push up to x" is any different.

SRB pg 46, says, The model push be moved as close to the maximum distance of the post as possible.   The SRB also says that pushes up to x", the controller of the effect may choose how far that push is.      And the FAQ says that a push of 0" is not a push.    So that rules out 0" push.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Artiee said:

SRB pg 46, says, The model push be moved as close to the maximum distance of the post as possible.   The SRB also says that pushes up to x", the controller of the effect may choose how far that push is.      And the FAQ says that a push of 0" is not a push.    So that rules out 0" push.

If the Ice Dancer was in base contact with the model they charged and wanted to push toward that model (which would be 0 inches) would you allow that or would you say it was 0" and thus is not valid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Artiee   
58 minutes ago, MrDeathTrout said:

If the Ice Dancer was in base contact with the model they charged and wanted to push toward that model (which would be 0 inches) would you allow that or would you say it was 0" and thus is not valid?

Not valid in that direction.  You would push. 0" so it's not allowed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
trikk   
On 10.08.2017 at 6:07 AM, MrDeathTrout said:

I disagree. There are two separate and distinct steps to a push/move/etc.

In my mind you push following all of the restrictions (towards model X, away from model X, Y inches, up to Y inches, etc.) of the push.  The direction and distance are determined at this time.  The rule book says in the case of an "up to" push the controller chooses how far the model is pushed up to the maximum distance.  Since 0 is less than the maximum distance, it is a valid choice.  You can push 0 inches.  This may be by choice, or compulsory (e.g. if you are required to push toward a model you are in base contact with).  At this point you have pushed 0 inches.

 

Next you determine if a push took place for traits that react to pushes.  The FAQ entry was created to address issues where models were being lured 0" inches and pounced on.  The intent is to address whether a push/move/etc. is considered to have taken place once a 0 in push/move/etc. has been completed.  Not to say 0" pushes/moves/etc. are not allowed.

This is consistent with how damage is applied.  A model takes X damage, damage may be reduced/prevented, if damage was reduced/prevented to 0 no damage was taken.  

I agree. The FAQ doesn`t prohibit 0" pushes in any way. Else we would have absurd situation of "push 2" towards a model" which you`re in b2b with which creates a game-breaking loop because the game requires you to do a illegal thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×