Poorly handled explosives damage

teddyclaw

Question

Hello everyone,

just one small question that I can't seem to answer just by reading the card:

when the condition from Poorly handled explosives ends on a model, dealing the two damage to the model itself and killing it, how much damage does the blast do? Is it 2, because the condition ends or 4 because the model was killed?

Thanks in advance :)

13 answers to this question

If the modle is killed before the condiiton ends then it is a 4 damage pulse. If the condiiton ending  kills the model then the condition has already ended and the 4 damage pulse will not kick in. Only the 2 damage pulse will kick in for the condiition ending. 

2 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

The text of the condition in question would help to readily answer it so people don't have to go scouring through their books to find out what the text of the rule is.

I was not sure if quoting cards was allowed.

The condition basically says, that when it ends (at the end of the turn), the model that has it as well as anyone within a 2" pulse receive 2 points of damage. After that it says that when the model is killed, everyone in a 2" pulse receives 4 damage instead (without being more specific as to what killed the model).

I know, this is not a quote of the card, I am trying to avoid those as long as I don't get confirmation, that Wyrd is OK with those.

Thanks for the confirmation and answers everyone. Just to be be sure, here the conditions text:

When this  Condition  ends,  this  model  and  all  models within :pulse2 suffer 2 damage. If this model is killed, all  models  within  :pulse2  suffer  4  damage  instead.

The reason I am asking this, is because usually, with the thoroughness Wyrd usually writes their card texts, I would have expected either one of the following in the second sentence:

• If this mode is killed before this condition ends,  all  models  within  :pulse2  suffer  4  damage  instead.
  • If this mode is killed by this condition or before this condition ends,  all  models  within  :pulse2  suffer  4  damage  instead.

Either of those would be clear to me, whereas the original card text leaves both options as a possible interpretation in my opinion. It would have also been clearer, I believe, if if the first sentence instead was:

• After this  Condition  ends,  this  model  and  all  models within :pulse2 suffer 2 damage.

In that case, it would be absolutely clear, that the condition is no longer on the model when the damage happens. Therefore the model is killed, but the second sentence clearly no longer applies.

Am I overthinking this? Or am I missing something from the basic rules, that makes my trail of thought invalid?

Thanks again ^_^

39 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

"Instead" does it for me. 2 damage happens. Or 4 damage happens instead. One or the other.

I am with you on that. But I am still not clear when it is 4. Is it only when the model gets killed by something other than the condition itself or is it also 4 if the condition kills the model?