We're currently updating the site and a few things may run slow or not as expected at the moment. Give us a day or two to get everything sorted out and changed up if you would.

One of the new things you'll see about are the 'sticky notes' which you will occasionally see from the site Admins if something important shows up or is newsworthy, or if you happen to be in one of our many beta testing groups giving you an additional heads up when something new needs to be looked at or sorted.

You can send these amongst yourselves as well if you wish, just don't abuse it. 

Thanks for your patience!

Nathan Caroland Nathan Caroland
Sign in to follow this  
Kai

Painting Contest Changes

Kai   

Hey folks,

First and foremost, we wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated in the Femme Fatale painting contest! We love having community competitions and giving everyone a chance to get involved. It is always something we enjoy seeing, and we hope you enjoy taking part!

Unfortunately, we've also got some bad news. Looking through the voting for Femme Fatale there were certain inconsistencies that we noticed.  We aren’t going into too many details, but it is clear that a few of the contestants seriously violated the spirit of the competition.  While it was not specifically against the rules, some people did not keep the contest completely anonymous (encouraging people to vote for them outside of the forums).  This is extremely disappointing to us, as it is disrespectful to the other entrants who put their time and energy into their submissions.  

We want our painting contests to honor and respect the work that the many talented painters put into them, and as such we are going to change the rules for upcoming contests. The best solution is to change how the judging works, which means less community involvement in the voting process.  It truly is a shame that a few people have led to us having to redo the system, as we loved seeing the community as a whole engage with the voting process and models.  That being said it is important to us that integrity remain in the competition for all parties involved.

Once again, we offer a sincere thanks to the people who understood the spirit of the competition and did their best painting work.  Truly seeing the community put their best behind the competitions, and seeing which painter is best is exciting.  We hope that all the changes we make moving forward help to keep the competitions fun, exciting, and honest. 

A reminder that our next painting contest is Iron Painter, which will begin on September 1st.  

Buntman   

Thank you for all the contests you make! It's very inspirational, and despite all these non-gentleman participants we'll see more and more beginning and pro painters involved in your competitions. 

jef   

I'm waiting the iron painter so hard!! Last year was divided in different category and it's for me a very good mode! Hope that it will be the same this year!

Soleev   

Totally agree that judging should be changed. Some winner models in two latest contest are confusing. As for me, among other very skilled winner works with great technique, colors and taste,  FF12 in Femme Fatale and TT22 in Total Testosterone looks like an outsiders. Espeсialy when there are a lot of better pretenders, which aint get into the top 3. 

That would be awesome if well-known painters, which can clearly apprise the skill of partisipants, would judge future contests.

akaOJ   

hey all, fairly new here <--- see the first post tag :)   I understand the change and this was the first time I've ever entered a competition, however knew going in I had 0 chance of placing anywhere near the top 10, let alone top 20.  However I enjoy Malifaux and folks that see my minis enjoy them, so why not put my hat in the ring? 

Now from another point of view and truly an outsider just joining the community, is this a professional painting contest or to be judged by peers and Malifaux associates?  If professional, well then I and maybe others who joined to paint something up and have fun will never stand a chance, as in, we should go to one of the myriad of competitions out there.  Or is this a community and fan based voting?  There are a number of models (wish I could zoom in more) that I loved, hit my taste, yet had 0 votes.  I of course will go with what the rules are, and maybe just trying to get my baring around the level of competition this may become, or possibly always was and I didn't know :) - Maybe create brackets around how many Wyrd Painting competitions you participate in, levels of growth, winnings or ability.  I don't know, maybe I'm complicating it even more haha.

I guess in the end, no matter what decision is made, I will try the monster one upcoming and hopefully Iron Painter as I stink at playing games, but love to paint the models and create the story and world around it!

Kai   

@akaOJ First off glad you decided to join in!  All of our competitions are designed to be a fun opportunity for any and everyone.  This is why we have participation prizes, raffles, etc.  Thanks for the feedback, as we always want to improve the competition! 

DFGStar   

Really great news, I mostly avoid online painting competitions involving community voting.  it quickly becomes a popularity contest and/or people who don't know how to judge fall for gimmicks or photo quality tricks.  Excellent decision to remove the common forum goer from voting.  Thank you!

Stark   
5 hours ago, DFGStar said:

Really great news, I mostly avoid online painting competitions involving community voting.  it quickly becomes a popularity contest and/or people who don't know how to judge fall for gimmicks or photo quality tricks.  Excellent decision to remove the common forum goer from voting.  Thank you!

I agree, actually! I don't know any contest with open voting and with no vote-wrapping, unfortunately. And see accounts with 1 post in voting-topic and registration date on the voting day and no activity after that... it's not very nice.

On 8/4/2017 at 0:36 AM, Stark said:

I agree, actually! I don't know any contest with open voting and with no vote-wrapping, unfortunately. And see accounts with 1 post in voting-topic and registration date on the voting day and no activity after that... it's not very nice.

Well because there isn't a certain someone that I have seen put the reference coin in their picture before... Tis ok though as I did vote on the quality of the model not who painted it.

Stark   
4 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

Well because there isn't a certain someone that I have seen put the reference coin in their picture before... Tis ok though as I did vote on the quality of the model not who painted it.

Hmm, my bad. I didn't think in that way, actually... I just decided that without a coin - the granny's scale (and amount of work) will be not understandable. 
Besides, all authors of high-level works at the contest are unmistakably determinable by their unique style. And anonymity in this case was very... hmm... nominal)

On 8/7/2017 at 2:27 PM, Stark said:

Hmm, my bad. I didn't think in that way, actually... I just decided that without a coin - the granny's scale (and amount of work) will be not understandable. 
Besides, all authors of high-level works at the contest are unmistakably determinable by their unique style. And anonymity in this case was very... hmm... nominal)

Ohh ya it was no biggy just saying that this blind vote wasn't really that blind. No fault on anyone there.