Giving papercraft scatter some substance.

WWHSD

I was making some scatter terrain and made a couple of papercraft crates out of 110lbs card stock. After finishing a couple of them I realized that they were light enough that they would probably get knocked all over the place. To give them some substance I filled the crates with hot glue before glueing the final side of down. I like the results; they are heavy, solid, and attractive.

Then I moved on to a larger 2x2 inch crate.  Not being particularly good at geometry, I failed to realize exactly hot much more hot glue it would take to fill this than I used on the 2x1 and 1x1 crates that I had finished earlier. It's taking about 3 sticks of glue (and what seems like 15 minutes to fill). 

I thought about just putting a bit of hot glue on the bottom with a heavy washer. While that solves the weight problem, the crate still isn't any more sturdy than it started out and now has a side that is always the bottom (doesn't matter much too much for cubes). Is there anything else that I can use as filler that might be quicker and cheaper than the hot glue? Would stuffing the crates full of play-dough hold up? I think I need something that isn't going to shrink or expand too much as it dries.  

• 1 month later...

Somebody, somewhere, once upon a time, mentioned sand, I think. Just pour some v. dry, loose sand in the bottom of the create before sealing it shut. You'll always be able to rotate it as well. 

Depends entirely on the model being sealed airtight tho, so the sand doesn't escape. EDIT: or, of course, putting the sand into a tied-off plastic bag first. Yeah - that sounds like a plan!

Then again, it may actually have been aquarium gravel that was recommended. But that would leave dents in the paper sides, the more they are thrown around and transported. 

Meh - was this of any use?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...