Necropunk vs Crooligan

Title says it all really

Under what circumstances would you choose either the Necropunk over the Crooligan or vice versa.

As a Horror Molly player the crooligan seems like the better choice with the ability to obey it to interact, getting around the place mechanic, plus not needing card to leap. Not to mention the increase damage from pulses and soft cover buff

The crooligans can't interact for the rest of the turn (?) after it places so if you are doing the always scheme the punk seems better to me. The crooligan can also be locked in melee where it can't interact to place away while the punk just leaps out.

If it's only for the activation I'd say Molly could do with crooligans and most other masters would prefer punks. Do you really want to lock Molly's ap on that every turn though?

If you intend heavy pulse damage and think you'll face shooting the crooligan has obvious upsides but pure scheming unsupported on a flank I'd think the punk wins out.

• Like 1

as a Molly player, I more often find myself summoning crooligans for their aura than actually hiring them. and while it's perfectly fine to obey crooligan with Molly to get victory point, you should rather use your (0) action to smash faces with RN, Archie or Punk Zombie.

what makes necropunks much better scheme runners is their survivability and ability to solo always-scheme, that is claim jump. however, with a lot of terrain you may give crooligan a chance with schemes like mark for death or leave your mark.

• Like 1

I really don't rate Cruligans as scheme runners. They are not going to drop more than 4 schemes in a game (Baring extra turns or something else making them have extra AP). And sure, they get from the shadows, but that generally doesn't help all that much. 

The cruligan is something I find as more of an annoyance piece, that can probably get anywhere on the board, especially if there is a scheme that requires interacting with enemy models. 

They're both good, and it often boils down to the schemes and board layout. Your choice of master can influence the choice too. 

For heavy scheming, Necropunks are gold. There will be games where 3 or more of the available schemes only care about scheme markers or interacting, and in those games I'll hire and/or summon multiple Necropunks. They're reliable and durable enough to be worth the the 5ss to hire or card and ap to summon early when you want them exclusively for VP. They're particularly nasty summons for Nicodem because they can heal back to full for free, and with Leap + his immunity to slow aura they can go to where they need to be to score VP after being summoned on turn 1. They like it when there's lots of small terrain pieces all over the place that they can hide behind or Leap over. 

Crooligans offer more of a mix of moderate scheming and debuffing and situationally, some tarpitting. Df 6 with Defensive Stance +1 or +2 makes them very durable for their cost unless your opponent uses quality cards.You can use this to make them either very tough to get rid of if you need them, or to help engage shooters and dodge attacks. They also lower nearby WP by 1 which is a big deal if you're playing something like Reva or you're summoning Hanged. They're particularly good if you deploy second, since you can use From the Shadows to counter enemy models with From the Shadows, either hiding your Crooligans or engaging the enemy snipers. If there's lots of big buildings/ruins/mountains, or some really hard-to-reach places, From the Shadows and Always on the Move make them exceptional choices.

In most cases, it's worth spending the extra ss to take a Necropunk instead of a Crooligan, but there are definitely scheme pools and boards where Crooligans are absolutely filthy and worth it.

I take the Necro punks for doing general Scheme running. Particularly for Claim Jump, which I take pretty often. Its so easy for them to do! When I get leave your mark in the pool I use Crooligans. From the Shadows lets them deploy on the opponents side of the board and Leave your Mark only needs 1 token to score from.