An advice for a good Shenlong "core" for tournament

TeddyBear

Shenlong is undoubtedly one of TT masters suitable for a tournament.

I was wondering if any of you has been sucessful and if yes, with wich "core" list? I have imagined that pieces like Emissary an Yu are irreplaceable but i don't have  alot of practice with him.

Any advices??

Many thanks! :)

Eh, you have Shen, a style, peasant, Emissary+LRM. That's roughly your core. And I almost always make space for a Sniper. So that's 18-25 SS for 5-6 activations.

Beyond that you have the TT staples and beatsticks and whatever you feel you might need to win your schemes. Yu I'd love but Shen, Yu AND the Emissary is just so expensive and supporty and I really struggle to drop 3 cards a turn. I have taken both though, and if you go with just Yu you save 3 SS on the LRM. But yeah... 3 cards... The TTB and the Effigy are of course great, as are two-three 8-10 SS beaters - or maybe you'd like another sniper in there. At this point it's really all up to you.

As for how to play him - just make sure everything is or can quickly be in range of your pushes, heals and bubbles. Snipers will keep your opponent on edge t1-2 and are ideal for putting constant pressure on them, especially their schemerunners or models you want to chip away at to prep them for the rest of your crew. Shen in turn will have to make sure whatever beatsticks you have roaming around can go to whatever side of the field they're needed. It's important to know when to switch styles, and you'll fnd you're almost always too late at adapting when you just start playing him. Getting good at Shen is about 80% experience, so learn to read the field and your opponent. You get at least two 0's a turn to respond to opposing plays, but you'd be surprised at how narrow that timing can run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

Eh, you have Shen, a style, peasant, Emissary+LRM. That's roughly your core. And I almost always make space for a Sniper. So that's 18-25 SS for 5-6 activations.

Thanks! How 5-6 activations? Generally do you play always with one low river monk?

2 hours ago, TeddyBear said:

Thanks! How 5-6 activations? Generally do you play always with one low river monk?

The specific reason I believe there's a Low River Monk in there is for card draw via Shenlong's Conflux. The LRM Focuses once for a (0) because of Shenlong's aura and once as a (1), and combined with its Reading the Wind gets an additional +1 Focus for Focus +3. Then the Emissary can remove a condition as a (0) and draw cards equal to its value, in this case the Focus off the LRM.

• Thanks 1

Recalled Training is better the more AP you get out of it. Burt goes reckless and gets fast from Wandering River Style or Shadow Emissary (so this isn't a Shenlong specific tactic). Then you've got four attacks at ml6:+fate 3/4/5:+fate. I suppose he doesn't have a good (0) of his own so he can always use Shenlong's (0) focus aura while at it. Hard to Kill also goes well with all the heals the crew can put out.

Reckless also makes him a good impromptu scheme runner if that's what I need.

• Thanks 1

Jebsen is my shenlong best friends:

-4 ap under recalled training when you have ML6 and 2+self built critical strike

-he can easily run to schemes if needed.

-his defensive trick can make shen's totem the final target of shooting when they are near to him (1 SS when killed).

-HTK, means that can be healed from shenlong or low river monk or equality (i put equality on him if i manage to use as scheme runner) and survive.

Anyway Shenlong tactics in the first turns is mainly push in right place and give fast, until you need to switch to heal upgrade, or use your APs to slain something (with fire or poison upgrade) or if you need to push enemy models/schemes away from objectives.

And so his "take focus or def at(0) near me" is also a very offensive ability.

At this point what do you want?

-something that benefit well from "free"Focus without wasting other good (0) actions or someting that benefit well from 1 more AP and something that "I'm too slow, push me".

free focus+fast&push is nice for katanakas, they can shot 2 times from a long range with a fair damage output, they can start kill enemy scheme runners already at turn 1.

free focus and eventually fast&push is really nice for the emissary that can attack 2 times under focus  (and easy cheat for 6 damage) and still use an AP to push and fast another model. Anyway if you take a LRM I suppose you want to draw 3as many time as possible istead focus.

any other models that can take recalled training can be a death machine for 1 turn: jebsen (as we already talked about), lazarus (that can be pushed in the right place to shoot up to 4 times, easy generating a lot of blast), kang (ML7, can take an armor ignoring upgrade but is pretty slow), izamu (who can be also a good tarpit  with shenlong healing support). Yasunori ....

Illuminated can shoot under focus to give brilliance and still have 2 ap to charge (with +2 damage).

and as already told lrm is really interesting with emissary (free upgrade synergizig well with emissary push) and 3 cards draw that help you if u don't have draw any 11-12-13.

I think Shen doesn't need the help of Sensei unless you think you need a 2nd healer to make your tarpits survives on objectives.

• Thanks 1