Vanessa in a Levi Crew?

Davos

At 8 ss I'd rather hire Sue, Yin or cough up the 9 for Monty or Mad Dog tbh, but if you want more Wp-based attacks, then why not?

She also fits nicely into an Abomination-spam crew to Obey that Deso Engine into an extra Walk.

Her gun is great, her construct-obey is situationally useful, her Wp 7 is amazing, but at Df 5 and no other defensive tech she will suffer.

Then again, Ca 7 with trigger to draw a card is something that Levi loves.

So, maybe against Ressers?

On a side note, you never need Vanessa with the Viks unless playing for fluff (aside from a corner case where she gets Sisters in Fury, some (0) buffs from her older sisters and then surprise-chops someone with her Ml 5 min 4 Ancestral Blade).

8 hours ago, Seadhna said:

On a side note, you never need Vanessa with the Viks unless playing for fluff (aside from a corner case where she gets Sisters in Fury, some (0) buffs from her older sisters and then surprise-chops someone with her Ml 5 min 4 Ancestral Blade).

Why do you dislike Vanessa with Viks? 

5 hours ago, Zebo said:

Why do you dislike Vanessa with Viks? 

Malifaux Child and Librarian are more optimal choices for healing, and on her own Vanessa doesn't provide enough threat to divert your opponent's attention from the Viks duo. Her damage track without any extra AP is simply meh: Sue puts out way more hurt and has other utility as well.

In the comparison, I do like Sue more - he winds up in almost every list I play, but Vanessa seems cool.  And the card manipulation seems handy, along with the obey.  Thin I'll grab her, if only cause I have instore credit at the local, I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for her.

1 hour ago, Davos said:

In the comparison, I do like Sue more - he winds up in almost every list I play, but Vanessa seems cool.  And the card manipulation seems handy, along with the obey.  Thin I'll grab her, if only cause I have instore credit at the local, I'm sure I'll be able to find a use for her.

Being able to setup your construct command flip, their attack flip, and their first damage flip by placing the cards in any order can be powerful. I did this with Lazarus once to trigger the Red Joker on damage flip. That was 9 damage on target plus double blast damage of 6. Very demoralizing to your opponent. Plus her 9 Ca when on the centerline  for her staff is pretty powerful.

That's basically my thinking.  Seems like a good utility piece at the very least.  If facing something with low Willpower, see gets selected over Sue.  That being said, Sue is still one of my favorite models.

3 hours ago, spect_spidey said:

Being able to setup your construct command flip, their attack flip, and their first damage flip by placing the cards in any order can be powerful. I did this with Lazarus once to trigger the Red Joker on damage flip. That was 9 damage on target plus double blast damage of 6. Very demoralizing to your opponent. Plus her 9 Ca when on the centerline  for her staff is pretty powerful.

Red Joker isn't quite that good. Any rules that refer to damage level (weak/moderate/severe), such as blasting, consider Red Joker to be a Severe card. Ie. its blast damage gets downgraded to moderate, which for Lazarus is 3. This is evident in FAQ Q#34

You'd have dealt 9 wounds to target and 3 to blasted models.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/malifaux-faq-errata

16 hours ago, Zebo said:

No, only affected for de blast once, no cares how many blasts you put on the same target. 

Where is this rule located? After reading the responses here, I went back to my rulebook and reread the blast rules. It doesn't say that a model can only be effected by one blast. It just says that the blast markers can't overlap. So if I place each blast where they partially cover the same model, that would allow them to take 3 damage twice. I want to make sure I am playing correctly since I am teaching my wife the game.

13 minutes ago, spect_spidey said:

Where is this rule located? After reading the responses here, I went back to my rulebook and reread the blast rules. It doesn't say that a model can only be effected by one blast. It just says that the blast markers can't overlap. So if I place each blast where they partially cover the same model, that would allow them to take 3 damage twice. I want to make sure I am playing correctly since I am teaching my wife the game.

Page 58 and 59 of the manual

Some effects (usually damage) contain a blast symbol (b). This represents an
Attack that affects every model within an area, rather than just a single model; such
as dynamite, a burst of flame, or an outburst of emotional turmoil the likes of which
would turn an asylum orderly’s hair green.
A blast is represented by a round 50mm base. A blast is placed by the Attacker
so that it is touching the target’s base, but not overlapping it. If multiple blasts
are generated (such as bb), each blast must be placed so that it is touching, but not overlapping, at least one other Blast
Marker. Blasts may be placed into areas the Attacking model did not have LoS to.
All models whose bases are touched or overlapped by one or more Blast Markers
are affected
, unless the model is more than 3” above or below the blast’s target.
Any models touched or overlapped by the blast are affected. In situations where the
order that models suffer damage matters, the Attacker may determine the order
in which the affected models resolve the blast effects.

If a blast is part of a damage flip (which is usually the case) place one Blast
Marker for each blast symbol (b) in the Damage Severity flipped. The blast deals
diminished damage to models who aren’t the original target. The damage dealt by
a blast from a damage flip is one step lower than the damage flipped for the initial
blast. An Attack with a 2/3b/4b that deals Moderate damage, for instance, would
place one Blast Marker (due to the one b on the Moderate damage), and deal 3
damage to the original target, and 2 damage to each other model within the blast.
It is important to note that the original target does not take damage twice from the
Attack. The Blast is placed, and then all models suffer damage as noted above.
Remember, the Red Joker’s damage is stepped down to Moderate (not Severe)
damage.

Bolded the points which show it

There is 1 "blast", it all happens at the same time. You don't resolve 1 marker then the next marker. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Adran said:

Page 58 and 59 of the manual

Some effects (usually damage) contain a blast symbol (b). This represents an
Attack that affects every model within an area, rather than just a single model; such
as dynamite, a burst of flame, or an outburst of emotional turmoil the likes of which
would turn an asylum orderly’s hair green.
A blast is represented by a round 50mm base. A blast is placed by the Attacker
so that it is touching the target’s base, but not overlapping it. If multiple blasts
are generated (such as bb), each blast must be placed so that it is touching, but not overlapping, at least one other Blast
Marker. Blasts may be placed into areas the Attacking model did not have LoS to.
All models whose bases are touched or overlapped by one or more Blast Markers
are affected
, unless the model is more than 3” above or below the blast’s target.
Any models touched or overlapped by the blast are affected. In situations where the
order that models suffer damage matters, the Attacker may determine the order
in which the affected models resolve the blast effects.

If a blast is part of a damage flip (which is usually the case) place one Blast
Marker for each blast symbol (b) in the Damage Severity flipped. The blast deals
diminished damage to models who aren’t the original target. The damage dealt by
a blast from a damage flip is one step lower than the damage flipped for the initial
blast. An Attack with a 2/3b/4b that deals Moderate damage, for instance, would
place one Blast Marker (due to the one b on the Moderate damage), and deal 3
damage to the original target, and 2 damage to each other model within the blast.
It is important to note that the original target does not take damage twice from the
Attack. The Blast is placed, and then all models suffer damage as noted above.
Remember, the Red Joker’s damage is stepped down to Moderate (not Severe)
damage.

Bolded the points which show it

There is 1 "blast", it all happens at the same time. You don't resolve 1 marker then the next marker. 

I read that. But it doesn't say that a model cannot take damage from two blast markers at the same time if it wasn't the original target of the attack. It states "If multiple blasts
Marker." It also specifies the following "It is important to note that the original target does not take damage twice from the
Attack." The keywords in my opinion being original target. It does not say that any other model cannot be hit by two separate blast markers and take damage from both. I am not trying to be argumentative, I just want to play the game correctly. What you are saying about only taking damage once may be rules as intended, but it is not rules as written. This is why I asked where it was stated. I wasn't sure if I might have missed it in a FAQ or something.

15 minutes ago, spect_spidey said:

What you are saying about only taking damage once may be rules as intended, but it is not rules as written.

It's rules as written. The rules say that if you are "touched or overlapped by one or more Blast Markers" then you are affected. It goes on to describe the effects of a blast marker as dealing damage one step down from the flipped damage value.

• Like 2

It says they are affected and dealing damage one step down. It doesn't say a non-target model can only take damage from one blast during an attack. It does specifically state that the original target doesn't take damage twice from the attack. It doesn't say the same for any models affected by the blast markers. If what you are saying is the intention of the rules, then I believe they could clear it up by using an example that includes 2 blasts and a single model that the blasts would overlap on.

You are right an example for 2 blast markers would make it more obvious, but the phrase 1 or more markers can only mean that it doesn't matter how many markers touch/overlap you.

Since you place all the markers, work out the affected models and then deal damage. The model under 2 markers isn't doubly affected.

Thats the best proof I give in the rules. Talking about the original target is to show that it doesn't take damage from the blast, it only takes the original damage. 

Nowhere in the rules does it talk about resolving each blast marker seperatly. And if you did, why would it say if you were covered by 1 or more markers you are affected. 

Its not the greatest proof, but it is following the rules as they are written. 

• Like 1