What new upgrades do our masters want?

Finalscene

I've seen some discussion on the neverborn forum about what they're wanting from broken promises, specifically what new master upgrades. What do our little green men and women want from the book? Im hoping for an upgrade for Ophelia which gives her instinctual and possibly a better way to cycle upgrades (been playing against Parker and he makes me jealous with his efficiency). Somer might have fun being able to boss his clan around through pushes or obey effects. And Wong might give some sort of new conditions through the use of MAGIC! Mah needs card draw....that's all I want. What other ideas could be cool? Broken ideas welcome.

The Brewmaster a replacement for that oft-unused "The Good Stuff" upgrade (1/2/4 damage attack).

How about "Settle in for the Night"? (1) Target a model within 3" that has the Poison condition. This model may place a Scheme marker in base contact with the target. If it does so, lower the target's Poison condition by 1.

Useful in Schemes, and with Performers, McTavish, etc.

"I Ain't Standin' Downwind"

I don't care what it does, but Mah Tucket needs that for an upgrade name. :D

Likewise, Zipp needs an upgrade named "Abducted!" which either makes a single friendly a Sky Pirate when hired (so it can carry a free upgrade) (pianopult?) or buries an enemy model by lowering a hook and dragging it into the sky and unburies it at the end of turn somewhere else.

I would love it if Ulix got 

2SS

Everything is Slop

(0) Everything is Slop (Ca 6 / Tn: 13 / Rg: 10):   all gremlins & pigs within 10 of Ulix get :crow added to all duals totals and Pigs are not required to declare triggers.

:crowInspiring Slop: Any pig that uses an attack action with a :crowtrigger and uses its :crowtrigger within LOS of Ulix can ignore the Set'er Off condition on attack actions the following turn.

I think its a cool way of giving more healing to pigs without going overboard (since its a (0) action he cant use his other heal).  It also attacks the issue that piglet and war pigs have that 3 of their 4 triggers can be a liability. I also like the trigger because other crows become valuable to your pig or two that otherwise could end up going on a rampage (while still making the cards limited because you have to get a crow to get that part of the effect stone, card, or luck). Also I thought limiting it to crows and still making gremlins take triggers would be good because its bad for a bunch of gremlins but helps a few others so it could cause some extra models to work together.

edited: Because some pigs attack actions with crows are not great.   

5 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I want something absolutely brilliant for Ophelia which restores her to glory and opens up her playstyle. And makes her Gun mechanic work. I know it's a tall order but I'm hopeful.

Genius Tactician 

2-3 ss (w.e is fair)

Master Strategy All Other Kin models within 10 :aura get + 1 Sh & +1 Df.

(0) My Brain is Mine! (Ca 6 / Tn: 13): Until end of turn Other Kin Models do not benefit from Master Strategy and instead Ophelia gets +1 Sh, +1 Df and the suite of her choice added to all her dual totals.

This would be a cool card because if you need Ophelia to activate to get rid of a big target or give herself masks for her defensive trigger then Kin suffer. On the other hand it powers up the shooting and survivability of the Kin which pushes them into a more playable status while not benefiting Francois that much(def 5 is nice though). 

For Ulix, an upgrade to summon wild boars and one that gives him an ability similar to Old Major's An eye on the young 'uns. Mainly because I love Old Major but don't want to have to take him in every Ulix list just to control my pigs. A discard this upgrade for all pigs to ignore set er off for a turn on one of the upgrades would be great too.

Ophelia:

• Would like to see some kind of effect when she discards a gun
  • Some more Kin Synergy 
  • Better guns

Mah

• Honestly think she needs errata first to fix her base abilities :(
  • I would like to see something different on her. In the fluff she seems known for her tactics and traps. 

54 minutes ago, anumberone said:

For Ulix, an upgrade to summon wild boars and one that gives him an ability similar to Old Major's An eye on the young 'uns. Mainly because I love Old Major but don't want to have to take him in every Ulix list just to control my pigs. A discard this upgrade for all pigs to ignore set er off for a turn on one of the upgrades would be great too.

I've never played Ulix or gone pig heavy, but the last book had the hog whisperer upgrade. Wouldn't that fix needing old major to control your pigs?

It is nice to have an extra aura of  Pork Whisper'n, for sure, but piglets/war pigs, etc usually move far up the board with their huge charge range and are likely to collide at some point without Old Major making it illegal for them to charge each other. The positioning could make it difficult to use if I were to put it on a ht 1 model and a ht 3 war pig is blocking it. Ulix requires very careful positioning already so I'd like to avoid needing more. 

1 hour ago, wizuriel said:

I've never played Ulix or gone pig heavy, but the last book had the hog whisperer upgrade. Wouldn't that fix needing old major to control your pigs?

Well it helps if your playing vs an obey master abusing your (1) charge. Also if you are very pig heavy with old major on the table seter off doesn't really matter as much.

But I agree because stampede doesn't let you target pigs anyway. Also the easiest upgrade to ulix would be the basic.

1-2 ss

Armor +1

That would make him more survivable and also make his (0) only hurt him for one and summoning a war pig hurt him for 3. Which would make it easier to keep him topped off 

How would the Ripples of Fate Ulix vignette work into an upgrade? Maybe some form of swampfiend synergy/summoning for Ulix? Could make the gators relevant. If he's breeding better pigs to fight the Bunyip (or whatever they're called) maybe an upgrade that buffs pigs in an aura? I like the idea of a reworded Husbandry that would allow summoning Wild Boars too.

What about a pig Obey? I know he's already got the prod and obeying a model with a 1 AP charge could have balance concerns but I see some design space for that option: reduce the charge range of an obeyed model, high TN or suited, only Ht 1 or 2 pigs, etc.

I'm really excited for to see the final upgrades, but also trying to temper my expectations.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the tick said:

I like the idea of a reworded Husbandry that would allow summoning Wild Boars too.

I know it's not usually considered very strong in Neverborn, but I still love the idea of a grow mechanic for Piglets -> Wild Boars -> War Pigs

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Finalscene said:

After thinking about it a bit, maybe Ophelia could have an upgrade that gives her an abuela Ortega effect in that she can turn friendly models into kin for turn.

I was about to give my usual objection of "imagine how broken that is for Francois" but then I remembered... :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe just simply "Whenever Ophelia discards an Upgrade with the Limitation of Ophelia during her Activation, draw three cards and discard one."

Or even "Whenever Ophelia discards an Upgrade with the Limitation of Ophelia during her Activation you may discard a card to Summon a Young LaCroix into base to base contact with Ophelia."

Would give a real incentive to use her guns.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dogmantra said:

I was about to give my usual objection of "imagine how broken that is for Francois" but then I remembered... :P

You can always say "imagine how broken this is for Burt/Tavish" :)

I really hope for some serious love for Ulix, as he is my favorite Gremlin Master. Maybe an upgrade to give friendly pigs within :aura companion, or ability to summon Wild Boars (maybe from enemy scheme markers)?

My biggest hope is that these new upgrades really encourage theme. For Ophelia I'd like an upgrade that lets her discard a card to keep a used gun but let her draw one if she lets it go. I'd also like an upgrade that lets nearby Kin to use her guns for free (no discard) or just something to encourage using the Kin. 

For zipp I'd like more sky pirate upgrades mostly. I'd love an upgrade that embodies the air ship like being able to retreat/air strike/anchor ect. But only being able to use it if you have a curtain amount of sky pirates as a crew for it

for zoraida I'd like her to be able to hire swanpfuwnds cheaper and also buff them or give her triggers on her obey

finally for Somer I'd like an upgrade that buffs minions of 5ss or lower and gives him a good obey. I'd like the second one to give somer a sizeable bonus but only if your crew doesn't contain over a certain amount of enforces or henchman cause diners the big boss!

• Like 1

Zoraida gaining some ability to use little gassers and maybe another 1-2 undead model would be in line with the vodoo zombie lore.
Maybe the ability to use something like Marcus' "alpha" on models on 1-2 wounds so she can activate them and they wonder round thinking their a zombie - mind powers and all.....

• Like 3

For Ophelia.

A well Oiled Machine.
Ophelia gains the following 0pt action
Stick to the plan: Ca x Tn:?
All friendly kin within line of sight and x" gain the following 0pt action:
This Here's an Ambush Ca: y  tn?  Rng x:
The next time an enemy model ends a walk, push or place  unengaged within line of sight and range x this model may immediately make 1pt shooting attack.

On 30/07/2017 at 0:03 PM, Vorschlag said:

Zoraida gaining some ability to use little gassers and maybe another 1-2 undead model would be in line with the vodoo zombie lore.

I'd be 3 thumbs up for more/any Voodoo zombie Gremlin shenanigans. That side of the Looziana bayou trope hasn't been tapped nearly enough yet. MOAR!!!

Maybe another Gremlin Master one day: "Baron Same-Day". He's an Undead Gremlin postman, who was murdered for his postbag full of goodies, his body thrown to the Gators but resurrected by a shadowy and chill presence deep in the swamp. He was taught its ways, and now practices the necromantic arts amongst the beasts of the bayou. And that includes the odd, unwary Gremlin...

• Like 4