What makes other Factions jealous?

Lugonn

I've failed to control the envy that overcomes me when I play against other factions.  I understand the notion that the "grass is always greener on the other side", but I still can't stop the feeling.

When I look past our masters and to the crew I can bring, there is generally nothing there that I feel my opponent cares about.  Walk, Shoot.  Walk, Drop Scheme Marker.  Charge.  On the other hand during my opponents turn he is doing all these crazy things that all synergize together.  I look at their cards and I am confronted by a wall of text.  Built in positive flips, movement tricks, shoot into engagements, summoning and so on.  In general I see how efficient other factions can be with their AP.

We are known to be the crew that has high damage and lots of shooting but I find every faction has access to heavy hitters and range attacks (cast attacks are way better than guns.)

What non-master models can I bring that will make my opponents feel the way I do?

3 minutes ago, icebreaker said:

Try to take MacCabe)

Yes! I've yet to play him or play against him, but after reading up on him, he looks really good. The fact that he can take Guild and Ten Thunders gives tons of options. My favorite Guild models are the hounds, cheap and super good. With McCabes totem, they all become significant, without having to be close to each other. 4 dogs for 12 points, all significant, that's huge. Plus if he takes Toshiro, you can also take Punk Zombies! That's three factions in one crew, all great models.

I you take Tosh you're playing TT.

I would guess people usually look at Francisco buffing something to df 8 or 9 and feel a pang of envy.

Sonnia when she maxes out her blasts is also a sight to behold. Sadly it's mostly a noobstomp move and makes you feel bad too.

So to make my opponent jealous of Guild, take models from 10 Thunders! :) I find that's why people fear Nellie too, bring Nellie and all of a sudden 4 of your models don't have to be from Guild.

I agree that the masters in Guild are good and have a lots of abilities.  In general all the master do cool things , that's what makes the masters.  But I find that non-master models from other factions seem to have so many abilities on one card.  If I look at our dogs, what is there to be jealous of?  3pts for an activation, but they essentially a walk, charge, drop scheme.  Their claim to fame is that they are 3pts instead of the 4pts other factions have to spend to get an equivalent scheme runner?

Frank is probably the best model in Guild, and something other factions should feel envious of.  I just need to find something more valuable than Frank for him to protect, he is normally the first target.

(I know I am salty, I'm playing games where it feels like there is nothing exciting I can do when its my turn to activate unless I play with my master.)

8 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I you take Tosh you're playing TT.

I would guess people usually look at Francisco buffing something to df 8 or 9 and feel a pang of envy.

Sonnia when she maxes out her blasts is also a sight to behold. Sadly it's mostly a noobstomp move and makes you feel bad too.

True, but you can still take Guild guardsmen. Guess that doesn't make it a declared Guild faction though. 

If I were to pick the best Guild only master, hands down Perdita. Given, I haven't played but a couple of Guild masters, but after looking at all the stats, she seems to be the strongest, plus I have played my best using her. I can't seem to see what all the hype about Nellie is. To me, she looks really weak. Other than having great damage prevention through cheating, and the ability to drop a scheme marker outside of AP, I don't see much else that she has to offer. 

7 minutes ago, Hot4Perdita said:

True, but you can still take Guild guardsmen. Guess that doesn't make it a declared Guild faction though. 

If I were to pick the best Guild only master, hands down Perdita. Given, I haven't played but a couple of Guild masters, but after looking at all the stats, she seems to be the strongest, plus I have played my best using her. I can't seem to see what all the hype about Nellie is. To me, she looks really weak. Other than having great damage prevention through cheating, and the ability to drop a scheme marker outside of AP, I don't see much else that she has to offer. 

Apparently you didn`t look at the back of the card and upgrades. Nellie has insane activation control, board control and maximizes beater potential. In 95% of games I would take her above Perdita.

• Like 1

I have had my best success with Nellie.  I am starting to believe Malifaux is about efficiency of AP use.  Using evidence Nellie can use 1Ap to accomplish multiple things.  Propaganda can deal damage (enough dmg over time can permanently remove AP for opponent), slow (-1AP to opponent), and push (situationally -1AP to opponent).  Most models use 1AP do do one of those things, Nellie just did all 3 with 1AP.

But other than Masters, what other models do other factions fear?  So far we got Frank.

• Like 1

Miss those good old austringers.

The guardian can defend Francisco a little at least. It's a nice piece but I don't think others lie awake crying at night because they can't have them.

Guild may be doomed to mediocrity, we're sort of the vanilla faction. 

We do have fun tricks with buries although they're not OP or anything if that was required.

You've got cool looking constructs. They don't have me shouting "OP!" but points for style at least. You can put Death Marshals to that pile also, 10 points for aesthetics.

Nino + Family interact denial bubbles is infuriating.

Fransisco is silly effective model.

Reporters are really sweet scheme runners.

I know you asked non-masters, but Nellie beater list with Debt on everyone brawls with the best of them. McCabe is all sorts of cool as well, though he's hardly Guild specific.

Models? No. Range on non-masters? No. Card draw? Hahahahahano.*

But some of our general upgrades make eyes roll. I don't understand why Dampening Field and Numb to the World aren't stapled to every Guild list ever.

I have made people curse disproportionate to the model's soulstone cost with wardens (Hoffman, McCabe, and Lucius/Dashel), brutal emissary** (Hoffman), Master Queeg (McCabe, Hoffman), announcing Guild and then dropping multiple nurses (McMourning), brutal effigy (McCabe, McMourning), and the mechanical attendant.

*Excuse me while I try to feign sympathy for yet_another_Neverborn_player_01 complaining he can only draw eight cards at the start of turn without using a stone...nope, can't manage it.

**note to self: add "bury a slow walking model the opponent really likes and unbury it at a table edge" and "unbury Set Up model into a nest of pre-seeded scheme markers" to the list of things I'd like to accomplish. I <3 my giant stompybot emissary.

3 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

You've got cool looking constructs. They don't have me shouting "OP!" but points for style at least.

That's why I'm here! :lol:

I find when I leave guild I miss Franks buff,  The emissarys wonkiness, our cheap condition removal that can also hit like a tank,  debt to the guild,  traps, and the fact that almost everyone carries a gun.   I find I can do weird combos with a single buffed up model better in guild than almost any other faction.  

Their claim to fame is that they are 3pts instead of the 4pts other factions have to spend to get an equivalent scheme runner?

As a 10T player, they are the reason I take McCabe. Standing at 6 activations and all of McCabe's upgrades for 20 SS is such an immensely powerful headstart, especially when "walk, charge, drop scheme" is what wins you points in this game. And as a TT player, I often look upon Guild masters with a fair amount of envy. The numbers are so high and the range is so far and why does half of Guild's roster have a min damage above 2 and yada yada. Every faction has some areas they do better and worse in.

TT has very low min damage, lacking defenses and very little in the sense of complex synergy, but make up for that with being rather agile and very consistent. Ressers have numbers and defenses but lack that mobility. And Guild has disgusting amounts of damage and a lot of range options, but beyond that is fairly straightforward. If you don't care for that there's always other factions but realise that ultimately, it is your skill that's largely going to be winning you matches. If it's not your playstyle; fair enough. If it's how you're performing with them; realise that every faction has some inclinations and areas they're lacking in.

• Like 1

Peacekeeper with numb to the word is a very good reason for jealous))) No special tricks, just pure brutal power) 

Brutal Emissary + frank with dept - usually others really surprised when emissary unbury some enemy model in btb and frank immediately activities for companion and declare flurry

As a not Guild player this is simply based on how I feel playing against Guild: It may not be true for a player of Guild but I thought I'd share anyways

• Great Henchmen: The Judge, Francisco, and Phiona seem super potent for their costs and even some more of the seemingly "niche" Henchmen have their places, too. You guys and gals just have great Henchmen. 
  • Debt to the Guild, Badge of Office, and Numb to the World I am super envious of these upgrades. They are amazing, potent, and widely applicable in usage. 
  • Austringers: Yes they took an errata to the face but they retain what I love, and hate, about them: that push and the base LOS thing.
  • Death Marshalls: Love 'em. Theme, rules, performance, they are great. I find they flux with me opinion based on the GG in play but I have always had a high opinion, and respect for them, on and off the table. 
  • A terrifying blasty master: Sonia scares the whiskey outta me: She is powerful and does her thing very well.
  • Read all about it! This just in: Nellie is amazingly amazing. I almost dumped my faction of choice so that I could play her. 
  • Those constructs, though Guardian, Hunters, Watchers.... these are just great models. 

So yeah: just my few cents on guild as a not-guild-player. 

I've played most other factions at some point. Started out with Neverborn, moved to Outcasts, then first picked up Guild, played Gremlins for a few months and lately Arcanists. Coming back to Guild, where I plan to stay for the foreseeable future, just felt like home. I've tried the other grass. I still prefer Guild.

Things we do best?

Henchmen. Sorry but we do. We have Ryle, Judge, Phiona, Francisco, Allison and more besides. They're all amazing models and can more than match up with their opposite numbers.

Raw damage. This is what you play Guild for. Lady Justice on 6/7/9 with positives. Ryle can hit an insane 7/9/11. Flurrying Peacekeepers at 5/6/8 with Hoffman's help. Executioners and their insta-death triggers. Even our 3SS Hounds can hit 2/4/5.

Pushing friendly models. I've not seen the same amount of abilities to push and pull friendly models in any other faction. Pretty much every Henchman has movement tricks. Austringers delivering orders. McCabe, Hoffman, Lucius, McMourning, Perdita and Nellie can all shunt their crew around. Mounted Guards, take a bow.

"What does that do?" From the standpoint of a competitive UK player, our tricks are the least well known of any faction. Everyone knows that Practiced Production is a thing. They've never seen Guard Sergeants do Claim Jump single-handedly. Marcus players think they're king of the alpha strike. Right up until Lady Justice kills him turn 1. Wong and Rasputina players think their synergies put them over the edge until Sonnia does her thing at an unmatchable CA9, with Francisco and Phiona pulling her out of trouble.

• Like 1

Raw stats. Guild has some of the top stats in the game, with ways to boost a lot of them. I don't think perdita is the best guild master, but she is a very forgiving master as you learn, becasue the ways around her Df and WP (Even before el mayor, but especially after you have applied that to her) are not straight forward. If you don't know how to deal with someone with Df 9 in the middle of your crew, then you are in trouble. Several of the masters come with very high combat stats so will hit with more attacks at less resource for you. 

Shooting is actually a really powerful ability. You're standing in place to drop a scheme marker. What are you going to do with your second AP? most of Guild  can have an effect on the game still by projecting force well beyond their actual location.  Sure, your opponent probably has some models which have an action which can effect more than 3" from them, but almost everything in your faction can do it, so almost everything in your list will do it. 

1 minute ago, Adran said:

Shooting is actually a really powerful ability. You're standing in place to drop a scheme marker. What are you going to do with your second AP? most of Guild  can have an effect on the game still by projecting force well beyond their actual location.  Sure, your opponent probably has some models which have an action which can effect more than 3" from them, but almost everything in your faction can do it, so almost everything in your list will do it. 

Yes, but in melee the Guild is even more deadly) Judge, Ryle, Francisco, Peacekeeper, Hunters, Tralls, Recruters, Hopkins, Stalker, Mounted Guard, Wardens are better in melee.  

1 hour ago, tox77 said:

Yes, but in melee the Guild is even more deadly) Judge, Ryle, Francisco, Peacekeeper, Hunters, Tralls, Recruters, Hopkins, Stalker, Mounted Guard, Wardens are better in melee.  

I'm not denying it, (And I'd certainly add Perdita to that list) but what I'm saying is you have the option. You can stand in 1 quarter to score interference, and still kill models in a different quarter, or be in position to score out flank, and still be able to effect the turf war area. If you haven't played other factions you don't always appreciate how useful this is. 

Too much shooting is a trap,  but shooting is a guild strength