What is a Gamin exactly?

Fluffaluffacus

As the title says. What exactly is a gamin? 

We have this excerpt from Poison gamin
"Each type of Gamin is the physical embodiment of a force of nature, and the Poison Gamin are no exception. They are created by the very essence of venom; their aura is described by some as if it could drain the very essence of life."

So they are embodiments of a force of nature....But what makes them a gamin and not a Ice Golem a gamin? And what about Banasuva and Kandara? What Force of Nature are they? Fire? But why do they look so different from fire gamin then? What differentiates them from other elementals then? Why are Ice, Metal, Fire constructs? Why is Poison beast? Why is Wind living? Why is the Eternal Flame not a gamin? So many questions....

"Gamin" is a french word for a child or street urchin, I guess to go with this Gamin used to be minor spirits or whatever. Not being very powerful they that had to have a body created for them to interact with the world, as such the original set where all constructs and cost 4 SS. So related larger things like the Ice/Rail Golems didn't get the tag. Eternal Flame did perhaps not get the tag because it's unique (and not costing 4 SS heh), but that is speculation.

This has gradually been thrown out the window, first with Wind Gamin being animals living in the mountains (supposedly because, then lead developer, Justin didn't think the art looked enough like constructs) and then with Sanderp related models where the Gamin keyword was attached to various models for game mechanical reasons.

• Like 1

There have been a few other indications that gamin can grow up to be golems. Ice gamin to Ice Golem and in the TtB they listed whiskey gamin to go with whiskey golem. In TtB as well there's a Lightning Golem so I'd like to see a lightning gamin one day. 

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

Gamin and Golems are basically the same. A golem is simply a larger, scarier gamin. It specifically states the connection in Into The Steam for Through The Breach. A gamin won't grow into a golem however, they must be made specially.

Yup. The difference is mostly in how big you make them.

Gamin are easier for spellcasters to create, while Golems are much more difficult.

The full list of "true" Gamin & Golems thus far is:

• Darkness
  • Decay
  • Electric
  • Fire
  • Ice
  • Infected
  • Light
  • Natural
  • Poison
  • Spirit
  • Terror
  • Water
  • Wind

Metal Gamin and Metal Golems are... somewhat unique, though they're created through a different process than the typical Gamin and Golems listed above (and are a closely guarded secret by the Foundry).

Whiskey Gamin and Whiskey Golems are just constructs that the Gremlins started calling Gamin and Golems because... well, Gremlins.

• Like 3

That's a long list for wyrd to get new models from. ;-)

Electric Gamin; attack: electrick shock; trigger: stunned: target unable to take interact for rest of turn 

Water Gamin; tactical: cleansing waters: end poison/burning condition on target / attack trigger: the tide, push/place this model 3" from its current locatiob

Night Gamin can create anti Sh aura, i.e. cover or -xy to sh.

Light Gamin can give out Blinded condition in melee, causing minus on Ml attacks or def 

Terror Gamin cause Horror duels and can debuff WP. 

Aah, the wishlisting :-P

• 1 month later...

But the poison ones arent 5ss cost? 
I see the Steam Arachnid as the non officially named "electric gamin" , they cost 4ss , and blasts when killed.
I always thought that Ramos used electrical magic to give them "life". Appart from his "Electric fire" range attack. 
For the nature/beast gamin I always think about Molemen. SS cost and that. Flesh gamin.
In other hand we have the mannequins. 4 SS construct. Wood made. 

Think about the 4 classic elements, plus the 5 oriental elements that include wood and metal with water, earth and fire.

I must say I spected for any kind of earth gamin, or sand instead that would have fit better with Sandeep and his "desert theme" 

13 hours ago, Tzen said:

I see the Steam Arachnid as the non officially named "electric gamin" , they cost 4ss , and blasts when killed.

Steam Arachnid doesn't blast when killed. They do have a trigger on their close attack that let them pulse and die, but as they lack a built in suit it doesn't happen very often.

Also Sanderp's theme is Sikh/India, not desert.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 7:42 AM, Bengt said:

Steam Arachnid doesn't blast when killed. They do have a trigger on their close attack that let them pulse and die, but as they lack a built in suit it doesn't happen very often.

Also Sanderp's theme is Sikh/India, not desert.

True, not when killed , but when they "kill themselves". the point is that they do that pulse.

Sandeep could came from India, but you can perfectly theme his crew getting inspired by 1001 nights tales. Being Banasuva a very strong point, because it is "trapped" in an object and has a djinn look alike. That reminds us strongly to the iconic tales and disney´s aladdin´s genie, and then, its landscape; a desert. 
I have a community pal that has done a great job converting his sandeep crew adding references from this tales and it looks really awesome. 

3 hours ago, Tzen said:

True, not when killed , but when they "kill themselves". the point is that they do that pulse.

Sandeep could came from India, but you can perfectly theme his crew getting inspired by 1001 nights tales. Being Banasuva a very strong point, because it is "trapped" in an object and has a djinn look alike. That reminds us strongly to the iconic tales and disney´s aladdin´s genie, and then, its landscape; a desert. 
I have a community pal that has done a great job converting his sandeep crew adding references from this tales and it looks really awesome. 

Ripple of Fate says outright Sanderp is from India and that Banasuva is an Asura, a type of creature from Hindu mythology. But obviously if you convert the models you can give them some other theme if you want to. 

On 9.9.2017 at 7:42 AM, Bengt said:

They do have a trigger on their close attack that let them pulse and die, but as they lack a built in suit it doesn't happen very often.

The trigger is after resolving, not after damaging, and with Unser Pressure, you have two cards on attack to fish for the tomes before cheating. I don't know about you, but my spiders have a tendency to explode when I want them to ;)

6 minutes ago, MuMantai said:

The trigger is after resolving, not after damaging, and with Unser Pressure, you have two cards on attack to fish for the tomes before cheating. I don't know about you, but my spiders have a tendency to explode when I want them to ;)

A lot of the time I want them to stick around for the -1 Df and/or engagement so when a tome do show up (since flailing uselessly with their tiny little legs is "cheaper" than discarding a card for Defensive stance) I rarely want to use it.