Brewmaster - what tools do we have

Ergonomic Cat

One of my frequent opponents reallllllllly loves Brewmaster.

Brewmaster is not highly effective, but he's super good at just making things do nothing.

I'm trying to look for interesting tools that we have to deal with Brewmaster - primarily ways to either shut down his aura or push him around.  

The main ones I have right now are a Doppleganger to win initiative, Lilitu's Lure (which is rarely effective, because Brewmaster usually ends up in the middle of things) and the Bandersnatch's ability to pull.

Anything super handy or amusing I'm missing beyond the basic "Spread out"?

Killing him with McTavish or Angel eyes might shut him down. Collodi can steal his first ap I believe (unless that trigger is non-master) to walk away. 

Lilith could use Tangle shadows instead of her push to replace something in the bubble or maybe even moving brewmaster himself. If you hang onto a high card from her silly card cycling and try it late in the turn you should have a shot at moving Brewie himself. Graves is ruthless so he never takes WP duels during his activation and has a push attack.

Don't forget that henchmen can spend soulstones to gain a positive to duels and that bases bigger than 30mm block out auras quite well.

2 hours ago, Azkral said:

Collodi trigger is non master. Beside, he can use his Df trigger to escape.

Can't remember what his new trigger is to be honest, I thought it stayed the same when the rest changed. Did he also get some form of squeel?

10 hours ago, Azkral said:

Yes, he has a df only push trigger

He has a DF only trigger which requires that he stone for either the :tome or the :mask (or some other way to get 1 built in)  and that he wins the duel. It also doesn't push Brewmaster but places the attacking model back in it's deployment zone. 

generally if you see someone going Brewmaster and trying to lock you down he will probably have both Trixie (to cheat initiative to try and get Brewmasters bubble up) and Sparks to prevent you from targeting your own models to get them out of Brewmaster's party. In that case I would take someone like Angel Eyes to safely target Brewmaster at range and put him down. Candy can also be a good choice as you can prevent him from going first if he does win initiative.

The other way you tend to see Brewmaster play is as an obey master who debuffs models with hangover. In that case you want some way to ignore :-fate flips. 

Ignore brewy himself and kill the things around him. Without other models to obey he really just doesn't do much. Sure he might trap a few models by poisoning them in his drinking contests, but he won't be able to do anything to score points. Just kill or paralyze his team, ignore him, and then score 10 points around him.

13 hours ago, wizuriel said:

He has a DF only trigger which requires that he stone for either the :tome or the :mask (or some other way to get 1 built in)  and that he wins the duel. It also doesn't push Brewmaster but places the attacking model back in it's deployment zone.

I was talking about Collodi's trigger.

On 2017-07-21 at 11:02 AM, Azkral said:

Yes, he has a df only push trigger

The issue was killing Brewie, I thought you meant he had some powerful trigger. I'm aware of Collodi's trigger which is another reason to bring it against Brewie. :)

To kill brewie you have to start killing Wesley, but he is not very tough, his main defenses are Trixie (gremlin only) and misdirection (10T only)

I agree with Sharp. Brewie cannot score on his own (except accusation, he is the best scoring accusation)

Pandora with fears given form and sorrows outside of her aura but engaging brewie. 

Everytime brewie activates he has to deal with fgf and also takes damage from sorrows.

Pandy and Sorrows survive by getting healing flips from brewie aura and pandora also uses matyr to jeep sorrows in place. 

Not a mad great tactic but lots of not needing to do anything to cause damage ?

Candy in there could also be useful to stop brewie activating first

On 7/21/2017 at 1:30 AM, Ludvig said:

Killing him with McTavish or Angel eyes might shut him down. Collodi can steal his first ap I believe (unless that trigger is non-master) to walk away. 

Lilith could use Tangle shadows instead of her push to replace something in the bubble or maybe even moving brewmaster himself. If you hang onto a high card from her silly card cycling and try it late in the turn you should have a shot at moving Brewie himself. Graves is ruthless so he never takes WP duels during his activation and has a push attack.

Don't forget that henchmen can spend soulstones to gain a positive to duels and that bases bigger than 30mm block out auras quite well.

These are all excellent.  I keep trying to not play Lilith, to get time with the others, but Tangle Shadows is super useful.

And holy cow, I didn't even connect that with Graves.  I was playing him last game, and completely forgot about his ability!

And I also never remember to check LoS for auras.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 11:41 AM, Azkral said:

To kill brewie you have to start killing Wesley, but he is not very tough, his main defenses are Trixie (gremlin only) and misdirection (10T only)

I agree with Sharp. Brewie cannot score on his own (except accusation, he is the best scoring accusation)

Yeah, but most of the pools Brewmaster plays involve controlling an area or interacts.  And he shuts both of those down very well.  But on the flipside, I generally only need 4-5 points to win a game against him, because he's not scoring either....

23 hours ago, Ergonomic Cat said:

Yeah, but most of the pools Brewmaster plays involve controlling an area or interacts.  And he shuts both of those down very well.  But on the flipside, I generally only need 4-5 points to win a game against him, because he's not scoring either....

On 7/23/2017 at 2:41 AM, Azkral said:

I don't really understand this...

I play Brewmaster as my main master (although I'm painting a Titania crew now).

I've only been playing a little while, but I've been to a few tournaments, and I don't have any issue scoring and winning matches with Brewie.

Then again, I almost never use his (0) Aura, it's all about Swill. Swill feels overpowered, especially as all the casts are 7's! Swill will shut down an opposing master much faster and easier than the aura.

Swill Spam! Seriously, this is what you should be concerned about when facing Brewmaster. If your opponent is wasting AP on Obey or Pick Your Poison or anything else that doesn't have Swill in it, they are probably doing things wrong. Best not to correct them, I suppose...

EDIT: Seriously! I mean, in the last few games, I've probably used (0) One for the Road far more often than (0) Drinking Contest. One for the road makes Hangover effectively Ca 9. And then you hit them a second time! Swill is crazy powerful. Stackable negative flip on ALL flips? Yes please!

• Agree 1