Last on the List

GreenTea

Is it just me, or do TT seem to be very low on wyrd's list?

There have been 10 preview models from the next book and no TT (or gremlin) previews.

Every sale there's a new alt released and it have never been a TT model.  Unless I forgot some, TT only have 4 alts, and only 2 of those were done just because.  Perdita's crew has 3 alts just by themselves!

McCabe boxed set (second hand from the guild winning that one event).

Vintage Misaki (every faction got one, so they kind of had to)

Katanaka Sniper

Gimbu (Izuma alt).

Seems a bit that way... Which is strange as it seems Aaron is a big 10T... Maybe Nathan isn't? At least we get cool rules! 

Some more alts would be cool, hopefully we see the alt OT Ototo from the back cover of the new book at Black Friday. 

Also, I believe the Sniper alt only came out because the box originally had three in it, but they made them Rare 2.

You've forgotten Miss anthrope 

And a lot of the TT models are newer concepts/sculpts, which might make a difference. I think we've also had 6 previews plus the divergent path models.

(I'm not sure what chronicles designs you're looking at, but I can see a swinecursed in mine, and new art for Ototo)

I also was quite surprised it wasn't a 10T/Gremlin preview this week. They do seem to be spending their previews touching each one on a different flavor of Wave 5, which I like, but 'creepy officialdom' could have been delayed a week if it meant another faction got its first preview.

You're not last on the list of general game attention, though. Was thrilled to see the rewrites very late in the playtest cycle to add some spark to Ten Thunders models, after feedback. That's not the sign of a neglected faction.

55 minutes ago, Da Git said:

Also, I believe the Sniper alt only came out because the box originally had three in it, but they made them Rare 2.

The alt's sprue is labeled "Katanaka Sniper 1" and the retail box 2 and 3, so they certainly were modeled at the same time and before the restriction was applied. [And making "Rare 2" a restriction late in the development cycle would also go some way to explaining a few other peculiarities, such as single and/or triple sculpts for a handful of other Rare 2 models.]

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

The alt's sprue is labeled "Katanaka Sniper 1" and the retail box 2 and 3, so they certainly were modeled at the same time and before the restriction was applied. [And making "Rare 2" a restriction late in the development cycle would also go some way to explaining a few other peculiarities, such as single and/or triple sculpts for a handful of other Rare 2 models.]

I aways figured the "alt pose" models were they're pretty much the same as the ones in the box (like the k sniper, witchling handler,  bayou gator, etc.) were designs that didn't make it to production.  The last minute rare makes a lot of sense.

...infiltration related, as a Mei Feng player, my 10T crews still get access to Neil Henry and everything he does. McCabe gets access to anything Guardsman pick up. Yan Lo with the undead? Etc. etc. The only ones who don't get help when other factions get help are Asami and Shenlong.. and they're not exactly hurting as is, nor are they likely to be ignored.

45 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

You're not last on the list of general game attention, though. Was thrilled to see the rewrites very late in the playtest cycle to add some spark to Ten Thunders models, after feedback. That's not the sign of a neglected faction.

Clues like this are important if you're trying to figure out if something is in the works.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

...infiltration related...McCabe gets access to anything Guardsman pick up...

...which reminds me, this week's preview model can be infiltrated by McCabe (and Lucius, I suppose). Creepy officialdom for everyone. :blink:

[I was a little sad that charm warders lost their exfiltration, just for breaking the 10T mold of always borrowing and never lending. But I was so happy with the additional flavor and utility they got with the open playtest that I don't mind much.]

Not on your list is Miss Fire, last year's Miss which can be infiltrated by Mei Feng.

I'm jonesing for some artwork as well, and I'm a little disappointed that for whatever reason we didn't get the wallpapers like last year for whatever reason, but I think 10T is well-represented...if only in how much stuff we can steal from other factions. :D

Keep in mind too that Thunders is a faction that's still "new". They didn't even get the models to really pull them fully into competitiveness until the last book or 2. I'm very excited for the new models coming out in the next book and Ten T stepping out of the shadows and placing highly in all the tournaments

Okay, well, you've got the lead designer of the game and the head of the design team telling you that they're my favorite Faction and definitely not ignored. I see your preview count, and they do have less... but I promise that it has nothing to do with the attention they get in the game.

I'm sorry that you're feeling the Faction is ignored, but they're not :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aaron said:

Okay, well, you've got the lead designer of the game and the head of the design team telling you that they're my favorite Faction and definitely not ignored. I see your preview count, and they do have less... but I promise that it has nothing to do with the attention they get in the game.

I'm sorry that you're feeling the Faction is ignored, but they're not :)

@Aaron

First off thanks for responding and I want to say I have a lot of respect for you and Wyrd for what you do.  You guys put out a very good game, you engage and listen to the community and you support FLGS.  It doesn't get much better than that.

I do NOT have any issues with how TT are treated game mechanics wise, but could you fix the TT Archers please? :)

My perception is that meta-wise(for lack of a better term) TT and Gremlins are largely overlooked.  I decided to post when the third neverborn preview came out without a single TT or Gremlin preview, and posted the score sheet when Outcast got their second preview still with 0 TT or Gremlins.  Not just because of the previews, but because this seems to be a longstanding trend.  

Alt models have the same trend. How many alt models have been released at Black Friday, Easter and GenCon sales since M2E was released and TT were a full faction?  Out of all these 1 has been TT (Miss Ann Thorpe), at this Gen Con Outcast are getting 2, last sale they got 1 and Ressers got 2.  Looking at the list of alts in my previous post there are not a lot, and many came to us in a backdoor way.  If this forum is right about the Sniper being an extra, then the only alt for TT that seems to be specifically made for TT "just because" is Miss Ann Thrope.

Lastly at the Malifaux Global event last year I believe the scoring system largely favored factions with more players.  I won't go into any math to keep this post short, but I think the fact TT had the second largest win percentage of any faction and only won 1 scenario supports that.  I was very happy when we overcame the odds and won a scenario, then very disappointed when the story was still about another faction.  I appreciate how the TT were manipulating the situation behind the scenes, which was cool.  But in when taken in context of this post I saw it more like, we are already last in line, the scoring is stacked against us, we finally win one and the story is about another faction.

Right or wrong this is the perception I have, and I don't think I'm alone.  I think it is justified given the facts above, unless I've missed some data TT is consistantly underrepresented meta-wise.

I know you see lots of complaining everyday about something you put a lot of time into and I'm sure it is draining.  I'm sorry to contribute to that, but I'm glad you are aware of how I feel and I'm hoping in the future TT get more representation meta-wise.  Thank you for your time, and keep up the good job.

I will say that I know there were numerous TT previews for this book, but I think they went to Henchmen and closed testers at different points. We share different things in different places, and during testing I make the call of what is spoiled... I think the first thing was the Crime Boss because he's going to be my best friend. So you're suffering somewhat from my excitement to push things out happening in closed environments.

As to global events... there is no good way to go about it. If I make it so that it's pure win rate, then communities may bully their weaker players and, if you're in a Faction that is more represented, your games are worth less than some other games. If I ignore win rate and go by games played, Factions with lower counts don't have as much of a chance. I actually ran the most recent stuff by testers and tried to find a happy medium that was a little of both. I also made sure that players weren't locked into Factions, which encouraged people to play what they feel. I try to take this stuff into account, but a good solution has never been apparent to me.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback. I'm sorry the perception is the way it is, and the best I can say is that it IS a perception much more than a reality. But, perception matters.

Have a good one!

• Like 3