Dress Rehearsal - A Colette Guide for Stage Management

Boomstick

6 hours ago, Alkasyn said:

Thank you for this guide.

I registered for the forums because of it (that and the upcoming campaign :) )

Oh wow! I'm humbled, thank you! It'll be a bit before I update it for the new upgrades due to scratching an itch I have to break out some other factions/masters (namely Lucius and finally trying McMourning), but that update will come.

I too am super excited for the new global campaign! I think they've finally got the voting balanced for figuring more represented factions. I'm almost sad to be mostly fighting for other factions this time around (want a Nightmare Dreamer box). Hopefully it's a super fun time.

3 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Oh wow! I'm humbled, thank you! It'll be a bit before I update it for the new upgrades due to scratching an itch I have to break out some other factions/masters (namely Lucius and finally trying McMourning), but that update will come.

I too am super excited for the new global campaign! I think they've finally got the voting balanced for figuring more represented factions. I'm almost sad to be mostly fighting for other factions this time around (want a Nightmare Dreamer box). Hopefully it's a super fun time.

Hey, you deserve it!

No worries, I'm just a beginner player but I also have a Parker box that I'd want to play for this campaign. I run thematic crews, so I'm usually at a disadvantage, but I don't mind. Hopefully because of this guide I'll be able to pull off some new tricks :)

• Like 1

Wonderful thing about Colette is pretty much everuthing is thematic, just depends on what show they're performing that game.

I hope the guide helps. And best of luck with Parker! I haven't done much more than look at him thus far, though a friend has had pretty good success with the bandits.

The fact that there are so many nice combos that you can do with Colette made me like her a lot recently. Especially if you compare it with masters such as Rasputina (my first master) who I still like to play but getting Colettes combos to work is so much more satisfying than just blasting away models....

• Like 1

That flexibility is why I just roll my eyes at complaints about her being weak and useless. If you're going to single or dual master limited event, I would suggest putting in your stable because she empowers her whole crew in multiple ways and can do many hard to predict things on the table.

Yes, there are things that she probably would like to avoid, like Executioners and other models that ignore/bypass Df/Wp triggers and defensive abilities. but that's something that Arcanists always have to watch for with their Wave 1&2 masters.
Yes, she's not as flexible as Sandeep, who can play reliably well into all GG17 scenarios against most factions.. but that's a reflection on Sandeep, not her.
And finally: yes, recent erratas have dialed down using her as an AP battery for a beater like Howard Langston and made other adjustments that affect her play, but that's why there's a thread for discussing how to use her in current scenario sets with current rules.

Related: Wave 5 upgrades for her: I didn't get as much use out of the saber bump as I expected, but handing out slow was nice. The minion control actually came in super handy because it screws up scheme runners and can make hard-hitting minions a liability to their own crew. For instance, a saber-wielding hound being forced to 1AP charge a teammate due to proximity of scheme marker(s).

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

For instance, a saber-wielding hound being forced to 1AP charge a teammate due to proximity of scheme marker(s).

My problem with that is that when you are most able to get value out of that (0), if your opponent wins initiative they can just block it by activating the minion and taking that valuable 1AP Saber charge. An ability as niche and conditional as that being so easily blockable as soon as it is actually usable is really annoying.

34 minutes ago, Jinn said:

My problem with that is that when you are most able to get value out of that (0), if your opponent wins initiative they can just block it by activating the minion and taking that valuable 1AP Saber charge. An ability as niche and conditional as that being so easily blockable as soon as it is actually usable is really annoying.

That's why I don't rely on turn-wrapping. Some things to bear in mind with Arcanists is that we have an upgrade (Seize the Day) that significantly aids us when we're trying to take initiative. If you're turn-wrapping for ability triggering, it's an insurance policy. It's something to consider if you're looking to go more aggressive in Colette builds.

So far I've had the ability to use it when otherwise being out-activated to screw up my opponent's plans because they had other things to worry about and things to set up. I stole their AP in the same turn that I used the (0) action. I get the most value out of it with an early-activating Colette, and I pick my targets carefully. I use the saber-wielding hound as an example because it requires set up by my opponent to prepare the hound in the first place, which potentially allows me an activation to get that effect up. It's not going to work out the same way every time, so for people who are looking for something that consistently works the same way every time? Sorry. You'll be disappointed. It's a finesse piece with a value that depends heavily on your opponent's crew composition.

The only way your opponent can stop you from messing with their activation is to not leave any minions where Colette can get to them--which is actually harder than it looks, with her being able to place herself at a friendly marker 14" away. It's a disruptive control ability with no resistance. As such, it should be limited and have some kind of countering.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

i will start a Colette Crew as near as thematically as possible. So i am interested in Carlos, the Showgirls stuff, Ferdinand Vogel. Is this enough and playabel?

Is there a must have beside this stuff?

Miniatures that i like to: D. Acolythes, Ice Dancers, Silent Ones... but all of them is a little bit to much.. is one of them a good choice without the other two?

...and I like Myranda to...a good choice with her?

What i dont like is: Joss, Emissery, Livingstone, Union Miner (read that other Players play them with Colette). Does i need one of them most certainly?

Thanx in advance!

• Like 1

Only you can say what you think is "theme". 

If you are counting Carlos as "theme" then you are probably able to count Ice dancers as they are also showgirls. I'm not sure how you count Vogel as thematic.

Union Miners could count in 2 ways. They have always been the typical clientel of the Star, to the extenmt that they were cheaper to hire with Colette in first edition, and they are a very good way to get multiple scheme markers down if you want for Colette (1 can put 5 down in 1 activation to power up an all together now, or such like)

The Thematic crew is certainly playable at 50 ss. You might face an uphill struggle in killing games, but they can kill when they need to. 

If you use Myranda then you probably want a set of beasts for her to transform into. I will admit the most common 2 are Sabertooth cerberus and the Blessed of December, but I have been known to go with a slate ridge mauler (although with his free upgrade you could easily count him as thematic) or a Razorspine Rattler when needed.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CaerSidis said:

Are ice dancers a must have? And does they do work without acolyths and silent one?

Ice Dancers are thematic, but not a must-have with Colette. They work better with Rasputina, who lacks mobility.

You might also look into Coryphees and Angelica, if you want more thematic models. Coryphees are beaters that can form a duet and Angelica gives pushes to other models.

I cannot give play advice yet, as I am still painting my crew.

Ice Dancers aren't a must, they're just really good scheme runners on their own and their Ice Path can mess up enemy positioning.  The Miners aren't a *must* have, but the interaction between False Claim and Practiced Productions (if you remove one of the false Scheme Markers with PP, you get to keep the other one too) makes for some strong synergy there.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaerSidis said:

Yes Vogel isnt thematic but i realy like the sculpt. So be interested if he wil work with colette. Carlos is in my Showgirls stuff list.

Are ice dancers a must have? And does they do work without acolyths and silent one?

So you think the miner is a must have? 

I think Vogel will be very cool with a Colette crew.

Colette can Disappearing Act Vogel since he's a minion to get him up the board. He can then activate and shift into The Beast. That get's him up to 14 inches + two 30mm bases up the table before he starts to use his own AP. He's got an 11 inch threat range with his charge (that can have him smacking something in your opponents deployment zone turn one).

Vogel has good actions to use with Prompt in both forms. If Colette and Cassandra are both Prompting, one can Prompt Vogel and the other can Prompt The Beast after he transforms.

Vogel has some nice actions for Cassandra to Understudy. Cassandra can stone for the suit on "The Laws of Nature" to give a model that Colette has Prompted (or is going to Prompt)  another 6 inch push and an attack. 

Vogel's "File Papers" ability can turn some of those scheme markers (friendly or enemy)  laying around into cards in your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I think Vogel will be very cool with a Colette crew.

Colette can Disappearing Act Vogel since he's a minion to get him up the board. He can then activate and shift into The Beast. That get's him up to 14 inches + two 30mm bases up the table before he starts to use his own AP. He's got an 11 inch threat range with his charge (that can have him smacking something in your opponents deployment zone turn one).

Vogel has good actions to use with Prompt in both forms. If Colette and Cassandra are both Prompting, one can Prompt Vogel and the other can Prompt The Beast after he transforms.

Vogel has some nice actions for Cassandra to Understudy. Cassandra can stone for the suit on "The Laws of Nature" to give a model that Colette has Prompted (or is going to Prompt)  another 6 inch push and an attack. 

Vogel's "File Papers" ability can turn some of those scheme markers (friendly or enemy)  laying around into cards in your hand. 

you can't prompt vogel and get him to shift, since prompt isn't "at the start of his activation" it's merely free actions given. you can neither prompt his beast form because it is neither Showgirl nor minion :( sorry

1 hour ago, Thottbot said:

you can't prompt vogel and get him to shift, since prompt isn't "at the start of his activation" it's merely free actions given. you can neither prompt his beast form because it is neither Showgirl nor minion :( sorry

That’s not what I meant. This is the sequence I was suggesting:

- Colette prompts Vogel.

- Vogel activates, shifts into The Beast and does things.

- Cassandra uses Understudy to prompt The Beast.

Prompt is just “target other friendly”. It has no other restrictions on the target.

20 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

That’s not what I meant. This is the sequence I was suggesting:

- Colette prompts Vogel.

- Vogel activates, shifts into The Beast and does things.

- Cassandra uses Understudy to prompt The Beast.

Prompt is just “target other friendly”. It has no other restrictions on the target.

wow, i've been reading so badly, i thought it was friendly minion or showgirl, i guess i mixed something up with prompt, then yeah, that works :P 

Funnily enough Vogel fits superbly with the nightmare-Showgirls crew, looks marvelous.

Theme wise a great Showgirls crew is pretty competitive with Colette, Cassandra, Carlos, Performers, Coryphee (x2 Duet), Angelica and Mannequin.  That is all Showgirls and can build a workable crew for most starts/schemes and opponents - not ideal crew but you'll at least be in 95% of games.

Ice Dancers are the other Arcanist Showgirl, they look great but in a Colette crew they are not essential, she does speed and schemes well already.  TT Orian are the Showgirl outlier (not counting Wong's Lovely Assistant which you cannot take), you can take as mercs, they are not worth it - generally a poorly regarded model even without the merc tax, in Colette crews they do what the Showgirls already do, so a totally redundant selection.

Many other Arcanist models are useful for Colette, she buffs stuff with prompt and a lot of good Arcanist pieces are simply solid in any crew regardless.  So it really depends on (1) how theme you want and (2) what 'look' you like, I mean obviously some models edge out others and/or are 'easier' to play but not so much that you can't take what you like over what the 'best' things are.  So I'd always consider...

• Arcance Effigy, simply great
  • Dec Acolyte, also amazing
  • Silent One, cause heals if nothing else
  • Johan/Johanna a useful and good value merc (unlike the poor Orian)
  • Joss is a solid tank-y model but Carlos also covers this space
  • Howard Langston is lethal and fills the killer spot as an alternative (slightly cheaper and less finesse) then the Coryphee Duet
  • Union Miners have some interesting scheme shenanigans and are ok all-round minions
  • Myranda is very good but she needs the Cerberus or Blessed as a shape-shift as well 
  • Mech Rider is still (post several nerfs) a very useful model

In the newer models (Book 5) two other models, one mentioned here a fair bit already, get a solid look for usefulness Vogel appears very interesting and the Union Steamfitter looks super useful in many games.

So I'd look at that, take the models you love the look of, you can always add anything else from Arcanists the selection is generally pretty solid.  The Showgirls pure theme is pretty tight but barring the Orian (which is not Arcanist so meh) every Showgirl model is really good and has a place, but they are finesse models, fragile if you mis-place them and have limited pure damage especially at range.  So in a heavy theme crew you'll need to be prepared to lose a fair few games badly, because you likely will.  Colette post-nerfs and a weak Book 5 is also a little on the low side in the meta, but is not by any means hopeless, just a tough learning curve.

It takes a few rehearsals to refine the show but once you've mastered the stage then the spectacle can be most spectacular.   

• Thanks 1

On 15/12/2017 at 9:44 PM, CaerSidis said:

Yes Vogel isnt thematic but i realy like the sculpt. So be interested if he wil work with colette. Carlos is in my Showgirls stuff list.

So you think the miner is a must have? 

if you are to ask me what are the must haves in a Colette crew, my Answer is Colette. Nothing else is a must have.

Ice dancers are nice mobile scheme droppers, miners are less mobile but more versatile for scheme tricks. Colette can make use of both., but doesn't need either.

You don't need acolytes and silent ones to use ice dancers, but some people like the decembers followers with colette anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Franchute said:

Hello

Following the recent conversations about sticky threads, should this one be considered? I have no clue about Colette but I'll certainly get her at some point.

Not to toot my own horn, but I'd certainly be flattered if it were! I need to get in a few more games with her new upgrades to update the post with them usefully, but otherwise, I've done my best to get Colette's core down in this post in a way that makes her less intimidating/confusing (I'd also be happy to update with a bit more of a breakdown of what's on her card as well).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I'd certainly be flattered if it were! I need to get in a few more games with her new upgrades to update the post with them usefully, but otherwise, I've done my best to get Colette's core down in this post in a way that makes her less intimidating/confusing (I'd also be happy to update with a bit more of a breakdown of what's on her card as well).

Ask @KingCrow for some help. Hes been saying around shes amazing ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i second stickiness :) also, i just checked and the other sticky doesn't even have any guide, it's more or less just one person saying he bought smoke and mirrors and asking what other models he should get and people posting their usual colette lists and that's it. no guide no tips and tricks.

• Thanks 1