Hopes for new master upgrade?

Paddywhack

So, what are people hoping for in the master upgrades? What new play styles would we like to see for Resurr masters? 

Obviously, I am thrilled to see new Yan Lo upgrades and hope they can make him a little more competitive than he currently is. I'm hoping he can bounce around a little easier than now as that has always been the play style I see for him, but it just doesn't quite work right now. Maybe something that gives him a bit more oomph in combat or, alternatively, makes him a better support master? Anything that can help with gathering Chi would be appreciated as well. 

I have high hopes for Seamus after seeing his new upgrade and it might make me want to start playing him more.

I'm curious about Nicodem's upgrades as he seems to always be the most difficult to balance around. I'm not sure what they might be though? 

Tara could use some love. The biggest problem is she is difficult to use. A good player can make her very strong, but it requires a lot of effort and time to learn whereas other masters are easier to pick up. I mostly face her as an Outcast where I think she has an advantage. 

Molly is already pretty darn good. Not sure what else she needs. I don't know if I agree about making her a beater as that doesn't seem to fit with her background - though things could change with the new stories. As they have her acting like she's alive again and working for the Guild paper I'd expect to see some more tie-ins with Guild somehow. 

My Rezzer Masters have been Tara, Molly, Kirai, and Yan. I'm honestly at a loss for most of them, but I think Tara might appreciate a "Drain Life" for buried models (well...Drain Whatever considering she has a hole through her chest). Something that pokes every buried model for 1 point and then she heals for the total done. Not something you do all the time, but if you manage to slam 2-3 models in coffins, it might be worth it. Another interesting idea might be an upgrade that buffs Void model attack flips, damage flips, or both. Would make using multiple Wretches and Death Marshals more appealing in contrast to Beast Bombing.

I think Yan's upgrades could be cool either way, Ascendant or Normal. The same question has actually come up with McCabe and whether his new upgrades might be Equipment or not. All I'd want, if they were new Ascendant upgrades, that they cost 1-2 Chi to attach - having a 4 Chi option would make for a tidy progression, but would need to be extremely strong to justify the Chi cost. I'd rather have cheaper alternatives to the existing ones.

@Adran At least from the TT side, definitely Ascendent. His upgrade line-up tends to already be filled to the brim with stuff he very much needs. A nice other option would fill him out quite nicely. In an ideal world it'd be something to let him target friendlies with Lightning Dance. It'd turn Yan Lo crews into this teleporty clusterfuck, which is always exiting and would certainly give a strong boost to the Resser side of things.

I'd love to see a Molly playstyle that incentivizes a non-summoning approach. Perhaps a Trigger on Whispered Secret that allows you to take it again against another model. Or that lets you blow up your own models to do nasty things to opponents. 

Actually, strengthening the non-summoning abilities of Masters would be great in general. Particularly Nicodem. 

For Kirai, since she's been promised the ability to raise the dead (like, for realzy), maybe she can kill her Spirits (or damage them) to summon Living models, representing the spirit becoming the person it once was? 

Maybe the Burning Man is weakening the walls between the Void and Malifaux. What if Tara could summon Void Wretches, now? 

Yan Lo walks the paths between worlds, too. Maybe he doesn't need to be in one place at a time? 

6 hours ago, Adran said:

Would you want Yan los  new upgrades to be Ascendent, or Normal? 

Well I'm hoping for both. He's already pretty far behind the power curve and could some help. Something to let him use Lightning Dance on friendlies would be amazing (maybe too good). I'd really be happy with even a trigger that lets him cast it again after succeeding. That would make it more efficient. Right now it often leaves him far too exposed after a LD. He has to use all his AP just to do the one thing that is kind of his schtick. 

I think one or two regular upgrade (something to help with Chi generation would be useful - or another way to use Chi?) and one Ascendant upgrade. I agree a 4Chi upgrade had better be really good to make it worth taking. Another 1-2 Chi upgrade could be more useful depending on what it does (extra trigger, more dmg on Lighting, etc.). 

Maybe an upgrade that lets him give Ancestor to a model? That could be useful if you play him that way.

NOTE: I only really play him as a Resurr. I know he is actually a better master as a TT because they are so darn good. Hopefully new upgrades will make that disparity go away. 

On 18/07/2017 at 1:55 AM, Pyrflamme said:

Would make using multiple Wretches and Death Marshals more appealing in contrast to Beast Bombing.

While I can see the Death Marshalls, plenty of very strong tournament lists are just wretch spam. Ever since Tara was buffed she has quickly become on of the strongest masters in the game, with beast bombing becoming a sub-optimal strategy. 

On 18/07/2017 at 6:18 AM, nomoredroids said:

Maybe the Burning Man is weakening the walls between the Void and Malifaux. What if Tara could summon Void Wretches, now? 

Remember she has six AP. That's gonna need some big drawback if it were to be balanced.

I thought about something like this:

Small Obsidian Mirror

1 SS upgrade

This model gains following ability:

Piercing the Veil: Whenever this model declares Soulstone Sword action it may discard a card to target buried models regardless of LOS and Range.

This model gains following trigger to his Soulstone Sword action:

:tome Breach in Reality: Whenever this model kills enemy buried model, summon Void Wretch within 3" and LOS of this model. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, catbat07 said:

While I can see the Death Marshalls, plenty of very strong tournament lists are just wretch spam. Ever since Tara was buffed she has quickly become on of the strongest masters in the game, with beast bombing becoming a sub-optimal strategy. 

Remember she has six AP. That's gonna need some big drawback if it were to be balanced.

(1) Void Tear. Place two 50mm markers. Hazardous, severe. End of turn, summon one void wretch in base contact with any Void Tear. 

Would give her a little more synergy with the ressers, too. Not that she isn't, I just don't see as much synergy with her as with Outcasts. 

Anyway, I'm just spitballing. I'm not being very serious as the cards are already written, tested, and either printed or are soon to be.