What is your current style of play?

4thstringer

So, when playing as Guild, how have you been playing recently?   Do you aim for kill first, scheme later?  Do you try to get the alpha strike?  To you try to just tie up your opponent long enough to get your scheme runners doing their things?

I find myself not liking any list I make that can't alpha strike, because I find Guild crews unable to take the hit or struggling if my opponent is able to spend the first turn summoning.  

My regular opponent is all about the swords and heavy hitting elite lists, so I happily build to match. He goes slashy, I go stompy, everything's dead by turn three, usually mine, everyone's happy. Also, a guardian's value skyrockets when there's only a few precious models to protect.

I did take a few weeks' break to experiment with outactivation and non-stompybot lists, and while I was scoring well with it (presumably out of my opponents being caught completely off-guard by my forsaking my stompybots) I wasn't stopping my opponents scoring very much either, except for that one amazing stars-aligned fluke of an Interference game. ...Upon reflection, that month was marked by much better performance than normal. There's actual 10-point games in there for the first time in I don't know how long. *sigh*

My preference is for schemes that score for full earlier because of that attrition problem, regular opponent prefers least AP expended per VP schemes, meta in general is not playing dedicated scheme runners in their crews at the moment except for the Molly player.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

More or less the same it has always been. Limit where your opponent can operate safely while completing the schemes and strategy yourself.

I'd say this was the way I used to play, but I've found it harder to do in 2017, which led to the changes I've made.  Have you found that harder to do?

5 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I'd say this was the way I used to play, but I've found it harder to do in 2017, which led to the changes I've made.  Have you found that harder to do?

I have to invest more resources to scheming early on, but besides that, it seems quite manageable. Journalists are very useful at that.

• Like 1