Dealing w/ McMourning, Sebastion and Poison Shinaningans

beowulfthehunter

One of out Local players runs Mac Mourning, he runs up the pooch, gives everyone poison automatically, then moves up Sebastion and Mc Mourning, who as soon as my model activates, they take 3, then another 3 at the end of the turn. I am unable to do anything and tend to loose my models quickly. Thoughts on how to deal with this?

Warding Runes and Blood Ward certainly works to protect one or two models, but if you're not running Ironsides or Sandeep, a single Oxfordian might not be the best addition to your crew.

What I prefer is to take Johan and/or Arcane Effigy. I've yet to play a game where condition removal hasn't been effective, especially against ressers.

Another solution is to just kill the Chihuahua. It has only 4 in Df and Wd and no defensive abilities and needs to get close as Horrific Odour is just :pulse2.

Also on a side note, if you have a soulstone user poisoned within Sebastian's Induction aura, preventing the 1 damage from poison stops Induction from going off.

Spread out more.

Kill the dog. Kill Sebastian. 

Failing that Arcane effigy is one of the best condition removers that you probably want to own anyway. Johan is solid in arcanists already and can shout your poison away. 

Finally, the best way to deal with it is to ignore it and score your points elsewhere and win. 

2 hours ago, Franchute said:

One thing about condition removal is that it may not prevent an expunge if McM builds up poison during the same activation. It is certainly useful against Sebastian.

McMourning can usually scalpel out (quite literally) the model if you only have a single one that removes conditions. 

Condition removal is of course good to have. The expunge-like trigger on performers is great for dealing with him. A lot pf his crew starta with poison or builds it up to transfer it. You can also lure then away from Sebastians aura or in a pinch use the expunge trigger on your own model so the damage doesn't get amplified and doesn't ignore armor.

An excellent piece of advice is borrow McMourning or play him proxy, with the list which is giving you trouble, against a friend.  You'll rapidly see what the engine is and also the vulnerabilities, what worries you when you play the master.  This is the space you want to find when they are your opposition, it is very easy to feel that an enemy is an overwhelming monolith and your own force a vulnerable fine china construct.  Ironically this hold true when the same players switch forces, suddenly you worry about all the horrible things your opponents master (normally yours) can do and all the terrible weaknesses your current master (normally theirs and the one which gives you trouble) has.

This is the most efficient learning technique I've found.

Failing that the excellent podcast Schemes and Stones spotlight on McMourung discusses strengths (which you want to avoid), weaknesses (exploit) and key models (which you neutralize with prejudice) of the master and crew.

Failing that folks have mentioned several tactics and counters, notably Warding Runes, spreading out and killing the more vulnerable key support pieces, in particular the dog and Sebastian asap.  

Of course another thing is that all win/loss tactics are subject to the strat and scheme pool, poison does not win games in and of itself. 

18 hours ago, Amdor said:

Warding Runes and Blood Ward certainly works to protect one or two models, but if you're not running Ironsides or Sandeep, a single Oxfordian might not be the best addition to your crew.

What I prefer is to take Johan and/or Arcane Effigy. I've yet to play a game where condition removal hasn't been effective, especially against ressers.

Another solution is to just kill the Chihuahua. It has only 4 in Df and Wd and no defensive abilities and needs to get close as Horrific Odour is just :pulse2.

Also on a side note, if you have a soulstone user poisoned within Sebastian's Induction aura, preventing the 1 damage from poison stops Induction from going off.

What is the ruling on this so I can explain to my opponent.

1 hour ago, beowulfthehunter said:

What is the ruling on this so I can explain to my opponent.

It's in the wording of Induction, which requires the model to take damage from Poison before it can happen.  If that damage is prevented, then Induction doesn't trigger.