Starting with Neverborn

Rolleiflex

Hey folks,

looking for some advice on best kind of place to start.

looking to start playing malifaux with a local group of 6 of us, each buy a crew and all learn the game together. 

Ive picked neverborn purely based on its the faction I like the look of the models of the most,

i got my hands on zoraida's crew, lynch's crew and pandoras crew. I've also ordered graves, tannen, reckoners and some depleted. All based on looks... but am happy to order some more bits and bobs.

id quite like to get used to a crew without swapping out all the time until I get a hang of the rules etc.

What would you advise?

generally the group I am in are very competitive with miniatures games and filth is generally always up there.... 

we would be looking to start painting, and using the crews all at the same time and possibly make it a little campaign, can anyone suggest best place to start with this?

My first and only Malifaux love is Zoraida, and if you want to go down the road of learning + filth I think shes a great choies. Here core models includes waldgeist and Will o the wisp so those boxes are good to pick up. The waldgeist can place right outside the oponents deployment zone and are very tanky, so they will give you a lot of breathing room to play your own game

Zoraida will also force you to ask questions and figure out what ur openents models does since she is an obey master. While it might be tough to remember in the beginning it will help you build up a great knowledge cache

With the miniatures you have and have ordered Lynch is going to be the most complete.

Having his full thematic/fluff crew with him can certainly make Lynch a monster till people learn how to handle him.

I personally don't play Lynch  (because I don't like most his models) but I have played against him enough to know that if he's played well your opponents will hate him.

I'd check out pullmyfinger and maybe pick up some stitched together.

Don't get me wrong Zoraida is my first choice in neverborn and Pandora is well known for being horrible to new players I just feel they will require more investment and it's more practical to start with what you already have.

Doppelganger is an amazing model to add, it provides a push for Lynch's crew, so Huggy can get in the thick of it quicker through copying Mr Graves. 

Pick up a Teddy too maybe, he works great with Kade, who's damage track goes through the roof if he's played right. 

You could also add a few scheme runners, maybe some Insidious Madness for Pandora, and Tots for Lynch (If you get the ace of masks, hold onto it, you won't regret a 20' sprint every turn for some insane board coverage. 

Hope this helps :D

Buy the generalist upgrade decks. Possibly split them with your friends if you are all planning on doing different factions and want to save money as you start. 

Thats your next best purchase. 

Then play what you have. By all means go with a largely fixed list to get to know the game.

You could look to trying a shifting loyaties campaign, which has you all starting with a small henchman lead crew and buying new people on a "weekly" basis to join your gang. You also get to buy skills and upgrades for your crews. There are some silly powerful combinations, but its a good way to do a growth league to start off. This will force you to largely play a fixed list to start with.

After you are comfortable with your fixed list, change it around a little with the other models you already have, and learn what they do. then  you will probably know what sort of model you want to add. 

From what you have, just about any combination would be ok as a starting fixed list, so go with what you like the look of. 

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e-books-accessories/products/wyr20010 is the first one (Webstore link)

They contain the upgrades that you won't get in crew or figure boxes. Those are ones that can be selected by a wide range of models in your faction.

I think I would say that generalist deck 1 is a better deck to have than 2 if you are only buying 1 deck, but I would suggest getting both decks before you bought more models at the moment.