Malifaux suits concepts and triggers

KingWizard

Hello! I'm trying to break each suit down conceptually. Can anyone help me figure out what type of actions or abilities are associated with each suit when it comes to triggers. For example is Rams associated with offensive triggers while Masks is associated with stealthy triggers?

Thanks!

I ran across a bit of text about this in the old Malifaux 1.5 Rulebook.

The book broke it down like this:

Suit - Faction - Spheres of Influence

:ram - Guild - Buffs, Healing, Physical Damage, Willpower

:crow- Resurrectionists - Armor, Death/Decay, Debuffs, Undead, Wounds

:tome - Arcanists - Constructs, Elements, Magic Damage, Magical Ability 

:mask - Neverborn - Control, Deception, Defense, Speed 

There are probably definitely exceptions, but I think it still applies.

I'd say it still applies.  Looking out of the normal factions for those suits helps.  First example that comes to mind is :mask on Zipp in Gremlins.  He needs a :mask for his defensive trigger, which I'd consider a control aspect (same with all the squealing we like to do), and he also needs a :mask on his Ml attack for the trigger, which is still a control trick.

That's a good summary! I think the only one that has really changed seems to be crows no longer really being armour. That seems to be the domain of tomes now, which seems more reasonable since tomes is the arcanist/construct suit already.

For a bonus question, which faction is the most dependent on a single suit, speaking very generally?
It's a puzzle to me, since I started with a crew which wants two suits and can usually find use for a third (oh, the joys of playing a first master who hires from out-of-faction), to play a master whose crew is all fishing for the same suit. Then I'll play someone who's interested solely in raw numbers and just takes the suits randomly as they come up, not caring much for triggers.