Green Stuff + Magnets

WWHSD

I'm having trouble finding foam that does a good job of hold Malifaux minis. I'm thinking about magnetizing the bases for a storage solution.

It looks like the easiest way to do this will be to fill the recess in the base with green stuff and pressing a magnet in until it's flush. The thing I wonder is whether or not green stuff by itself will have a strong enough hold on the magnet.

If you're using something like neodymium magnets, even the teeny tiny ones are strong enough to not require contact with the metal surface in order to hold the mini securely, so you can probably get away with just using superglue.

If you do want to use green stuff you will probably be absolutely fine. I've done a couple of little magnetisation projects that have used just green stuff to hold it down and it has stuck fine. If you are really worried I would suggest using a 2-part resin glue instead (you can find them in DIY stores or even sometimes discount shops like pound shops or dollar stores). It's exactly the same concept as green stuff but they mix up into a liquid instead of a putty and are actually designed for use as glues. Plus you can get different varieties that dry much quicker than green stuff.

3 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

I don't like my magnets being flush, it's harder to pick miniatures up from the box and it's easy to damage them in the process.

I took your advice and glued the magnets on and left the space. Some of the heavier models slide around a bit though. I put two magnets on my 40mm and 50mm models and the 50mm ones slide quite a bit so may require a third.  I'll see how it travels in the car tonight.

I wonder if putting some card stock with holes for bases cut out down on the metal would provide enough of a barrier to keep the models from sliding?

Another option for stuff that requires extra hold (it's what I'm doing) is to put just a smallish blob of greenstuff down where the magnet is going.   If you glue down the blob and then glue the magnet to the blob, you get an instant and strong bond.   Be sure to get them on a flush surface kind of quickly though (super glue sets green stuff immediately), I have one skeeter I'm going to have to peel the magnet/greenstuff out of and retry later today.

Just now, Clement said:

Another option for stuff that requires extra hold (it's what I'm doing) is to put just a smallish blob of greenstuff down where the magnet is going.   If you glue down the blob and then glue the magnet to the blob, you get an instant and strong bond. 

This is what I did with my warhammer minis. It worked perfectly. However, when I started with Malifaux, I decided to buy a whole set of resin bases like this one:

base1_zps30ow18ob.jpg

They don't have any space below to put a magnet. Each base is one full block of resin. I would need to dig a hole below. Does anybody know the best way of digging such a hole?

Just now, Franchute said:

This is what I did with my warhammer minis. It worked perfectly. However, when I started with Malifaux, I decided to buy a whole set of resin bases like this one:

base1_zps30ow18ob.jpg

They don't have any space below to put a magnet. Each base is one full block of resin. I would need to dig a hole below. Does anybody know the best way of digging such a hole?

Drill bit of the same size of your magnet.   The drill bit is likely large enough you can just turn it by hand, or you can cram it into a pin vice to save your fingers.  (DO NOT USE A POWER DRILL ON THAT BASE)

I used a dremel 194 cutting bit. It is flat on the end so it makes a nice flat hole. Make sure you put the hole off center as it will be a lot easier to pull off without breaking the model. I then use an allen key or something else metal to hold the magnet flush with the bottom of the base. Super glue in place and hit it with accelerator and all should be good. I use one magnet per 30mm base, 1 for 40mm plastic models, 2 per 50mm. Sometimes you will need to add an extra magnet if they are metal like lots of mine are.

• 2 months later...