Gremlins arrived...

Dheekon666

Well the Wong and Zipp Crews have arrived along with Mctavish. Have also ordered Creative Taxidermy. 

Had a quick look inside the boxes and Damn, they look so delicate. Going to be so much fun assembling them...

May have to figure a way to pin some of them to strengthen somewhat, especially the Lightening Bugs...

Any advice welcomed...

Zipp's crew caused me to start doing magnetic storage, if only for the skeeters (I added Somer's skeeters and the Emissary to that bin later.)

Wong's crew goes together pretty well.  The lightning bug with the friendly fire problem (the huge model balanced on one tiny foot) got a small rock on the back of her base to act as a second contact point for the robes.  It helps immensely.

I would also suggest using washers or green stuff to add a bit of weight to two of the lightning bugs because they can have a toppling over issue.

Also pay attention to one of the Iron Skeeters. It's the one that has a separate control stick piece. You have to stick that in before connecting the two sides of the main skeeter body. I didn't realise and ended up having to chop it up a little to get it to fit properly.

You shouldn't need to pin anything. Though they are frail looking for sure. If you use an ABS cement ( like Plastruct Plastic Weld) that literally"melts" the plastic together then the tiny bonding surfaces aren't an issue. I've found this glue also helps fill gaps pretty well.

As someone else noted... BE CAREFUL assembling the Iron Skeeters. That control stick is a pain if you do it in the wrong order!

Creative taxidermy was honestly some of the most fun models to build for me. It might be the fact that I was super excited to use the taxidermists, but meh. I had a bit of trouble with the stuffed pigs; I lost a piece of the pig falling over, I glued the ears the wrong direction for the blind pig, and the barrel covers refused to fit nicely on the leaping pig. Fun models, just take care in the small pieces and do a good job shaving, you'll be fine.

On 09/07/2017 at 0:22 AM, Dogmantra said:

I would also suggest using washers or green stuff to add a bit of weight to two of the lightning bugs because they can have a toppling over issue.

Also pay attention to one of the Iron Skeeters. It's the one that has a separate control stick piece. You have to stick that in before connecting the two sides of the main skeeter body. I didn't realise and ended up having to chop it up a little to get it to fit properly.

Thanks for the help, will take all that advice.

On 09/07/2017 at 0:41 PM, the tick said:

You shouldn't need to pin anything. Though they are frail looking for sure. If you use an ABS cement ( like Plastruct Plastic Weld) that literally"melts" the plastic together then the tiny bonding surfaces aren't an issue. I've found this glue also helps fill gaps pretty well.

As someone else noted... BE CAREFUL assembling the Iron Skeeters. That control stick is a pain if you do it in the wrong order!

Noted, thanks buddy

On 08/07/2017 at 11:46 PM, Clement said:

Zipp's crew caused me to start doing magnetic storage, if only for the skeeters (I added Somer's skeeters and the Emissary to that bin later.)

Wong's crew goes together pretty well.  The lightning bug with the friendly fire problem (the huge model balanced on one tiny foot) got a small rock on the back of her base to act as a second contact point for the robes.  It helps immensely.

Thanks Clement. Already considered msgnetim basing for them, will probably use for all though. Can get sticky sheet magnet and cut to size.

Not thought about basing the bugs yet but will address that problem when I do.

On 10/07/2017 at 4:04 PM, Finalscene said:

Creative taxidermy was honestly some of the most fun models to build for me. It might be the fact that I was super excited to use the taxidermists, but meh. I had a bit of trouble with the stuffed pigs; I lost a piece of the pig falling over, I glued the ears the wrong direction for the blind pig, and the barrel covers refused to fit nicely on the leaping pig. Fun models, just take care in the small pieces and do a good job shaving, you'll be fine.

I'm also looking forward to these and am considering painti g the piglets a weird (for pigs) colour, maybe a blue or purple'ish (just for the shits and giggles... lol)

On 09/07/2017 at 0:17 AM, Omenbringer said:

I would second the magnetic storage suggestion for the Iron Skeeters. I would also suggest to try and include scenic elements that allow you to glue the spindly legs to them. If I get some time I will upload a picture of what I did with mine.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing yours Omen...

Sorry for the delay (had some issues with hosting). Here is an example of how I did one of my Iron Skeeters so they wouldn't be quite so delicate.

36051975706_c5ea832436_z.jpgIron Skeeter 1 Left by Dustin Smith

35922678502_70135232f7_z.jpgIron Skeeter 1 Behind by Dustin Smith

You can see where I glued the legs to the base and used some scenics to provide additional support.

• Like 1