Speculation on Broken Promises Upgrades

Boomstick

So, with the preview of Book 5 confirming EVERY master will be getting 2 new upgrades, what's everybody expecting/hoping to see for our Great Eight?

Personally, off the top of my head I would to see Ramos get an upgrade to summon any M&SU or possibly Arcanist construct a la every other faction, and one to be more Elite crew focused.

Kaeris: I want something more offensive based, what I initially thought she was about. Not to try and copy Sonnia, but blasting some fireballs would be fun, and would reflect her growing rashness in how she's attacking the Guild while Ramos is away.

Colette: No clue off hand of how to emphasize this in-game, but something that shows off her rising smuggling status under Kaeris' leadership of the Arcanists.

Thoughts?!

I shared some of your ideas in this thread:

This suggests they are natural ideas and thus very probable. I'd add a schemy Rasputina would be nice. Maybe a more killy, yet more fragile Ironsides. A summoning Marcus with an upgrade named "call of the wild"? :)

11 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I'm hoping that Ramos will be able to hire out of faction constructs just because I'm looking for an excuse to buy some Iron Skeeters.

*Marlena is pushed out of the way by a Malifaux Child girl-child in Guild colors radiating jealousy, who pounces on WWHSD*

*scuffle, thump, squeal!*

If you get iron skeeters and I don't I'm not forgivin' anyone ever!

Maybe Ramos can bring in large arachnids and maybe, very outside chance of maybe, Howard Langston on a red joker. But that's it! :angry:

Actually, what he could use is a 0 choice that doesn't depend on constructs. Magnetism is awesome if you have a valid target, but that isn't always so. Not using a master's 0 doesn't feel right. (ok maybe I would've had a target if Hank didn't get to the mechanical rider on turn one, but details...)

44 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

*Marlena is pushed out of the way by a Malifaux Child girl-child in Guild colors radiating jealousy, who pounces on WWHSD*

*scuffle, thump, squeal!*

If you get iron skeeters and I don't I'm not forgivin' anyone ever!

Maybe Ramos can bring in large arachnids and maybe, very outside chance of maybe, Howard Langston on a red joker. But that's it! :angry:

Actually, what he could use is a 0 choice that doesn't depend on constructs. Magnetism is awesome if you have a valid target, but that isn't always so. Not using a master's 0 doesn't feel right. (ok maybe I would've had a target if Hank didn't get to the mechanical rider on turn one, but details...)

If Ramos can't get Iron Skeeters, how about he just settles for a scrap pooping Mechanized Porkchop? 

Now now, balance considerations. Large Steam Arachnids on summons have had a chance to see play from his avatar upgrade at the very least, so we have some idea of how that goes (and it's not meta-shattering). If he had that, then he and Ulix would have some more interesting parallels.

But Mechanized Porkchop? If we got that under Ramos, there would be some serious concerns. The free scrap alone would reduce the planning required to get the spider factory online, but that Walking Rage Machine ability when combined with Under Pressure and Latched On spiders? That might be a little too much, especially for an attrition crew.

55 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Now now, balance considerations. Large Steam Arachnids on summons have had a chance to see play from his avatar upgrade at the very least, so we have some idea of how that goes (and it's not meta-shattering). If he had that, then he and Ulix would have some more interesting parallels.

But Mechanized Porkchop? If we got that under Ramos, there would be some serious concerns. The free scrap alone would reduce the planning required to get the spider factory online, but that Walking Rage Machine ability when combined with Under Pressure and Latched On spiders? That might be a little too much, especially for an attrition crew.

Pretty sure the Steam Arachnids wouldn't take damage from Walking Rage Machine either.

Speaking of Gremlin constructs that would be fun with Ramos, the Survivors look like they'd be cool. There aren't a lot of range 9 attacks that can benefit from Under Pressure and Bleeding Edge Tech would let them instantly heal back the damage from Reckless.

I'm hoping our upgrades give us the following:

• Interesting new options and ways to play some of the more one-trick Masters
  • Some love for some of our weaker masters
  • Something that makes me less garbage at Mei Feng :P 

Also, I'm wondering if we're basically going to have to make totally new threads for our Master tactica.  2 new upgrades each could radically alter playstyles and metas for everyone (especially seeing how interesting Swordfighter and Do You Know Who I Am? are).

Going to echo retnab here.  Want two basic things:

1. First something to bring our power-meta closer with the better masters and poorer masters being brought closer together.
  2. And then upgrades which change a masters play-style, mix things up and add flexibility.

In addition I'd like to see something which reinforces a thread in the overall faction which I think is currently as (if not more) divided than any faction but Outcasts (and maybe still then).  This has been mentioned (and I've discussed) on previous threads concerning affix connections and additions.

I'd like to see Marcus and Rasputina have more faction related cross-over, not massive utility but at least some tie which provides them as being more than 90% Beasts or Frozen Heart and include some broader Faction options as viable.

Another thing I'd like to see pursued is the development of a really novel and out-of-the-box master play style, something left fieldish I did not expect in Arcanists and/or in that master.

Overall I'm pretty happy with most of our masters personally, like where Ramos is, Mei is fine and functional, Colette is a particular favorite in concept and play style, she just so captures Malifaux and its differences as a mini war game with novel concepts, thinking and theme.  I'd add Marcus who does what I want mostly in the way I want but I wished he had more viable in-faction choices.  Sandeep is probably cutting edge curve and is flexible enough to do nearly anything, he really needs a scalpel slice cuddle or the other masters to jump more than a percentage point or two on the power curve. 

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I wonder if one of the upgrades for Rasputina will allow her to hire Frozen Heart models regardless of faction.

Why? Other than the upcoming Cyclopse, are there any non-Arcanist Frozen Heart models? 

We haven't even seen the fluff for the Cyclopse yet, they might be the original Fae guardians of December and actively trying to assassinate Raspy and end the Cult. 

Frozen Heart doesn't mean loyal to December (at least to my knowledge). It just means they have an affinity with ice and probably live in the mountains. 

• 2 weeks later...

I say an upgrade to increase the range of Ramos' Summon the Swarm, so he can remain at a safe distance from enemies while summoning. Also, an upgrade to boost his defense at least +2. Df 4 is way too low for a master, especially with no decent defensive trigger like Riposte, Nice shot, my turn, etc.

While speaking of upgrades, I remember seeing one that prohibits the target of your attack from using soulstones. Do the Arcanists not have access to one of these? Would come in really handy for Eliminate the Leadership.

9 minutes ago, Hot4Perdita said:

Df 4 is way too low for a master, especially with no decent defensive trigger like Riposte, Nice shot, my turn, etc.

I'd call Repulsion plenty decent. It means that any melee will probably only get one attack, and put's you at df5. Plus he's armor 2 and can heal, and very well might have counterspell and/or + to df flips from field generator.

I'd personally like to see something that buffs his electrical fire, and completely changes up his playstyle.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hot4Perdita said:

I say an upgrade to increase the range of Ramos' Summon the Swarm, so he can remain at a safe distance from enemies while summoning. Also, an upgrade to boost his defense at least +2. Df 4 is way too low for a master, especially with no decent defensive trigger like Riposte, Nice shot, my turn, etc.

While speaking of upgrades, I remember seeing one that prohibits the target of your attack from using soulstones. Do the Arcanists not have access to one of these? Would come in really handy for Eliminate the Leadership.

You know there is already an upgrade to boost his Df? Imbued protection. 

I think the upgrade you are thinking of is reserectionist Decaying aura, that prevents the target using Soulstone to damage prevent. A few models have auras of no soulstone, or Triggers to prevent soulstone use, but none that I can think of in faction. We can Hire Taelor who has the trigger. 

I thought the new upgrades were master specific only, and I'm not sure if there is an aracnist master who I think needs to prevent soulstone use. But giving Colette an Aura of it might fit her story

I'd kind of like to see Mei Feng get a zero action that lets her turn a scrap marker into a Metal Gamin that dies at the end of turn or maybe at the start of her next activation. It gives her crew an extra activation and allows her to reposition scrap markers to use with Rail Walking without making her a real summoning master.

Maybe have it summon without the slow or restriction on interacting if it dies at the end of the turn.

• Like 3