Broken Promises teaser

Lucidicide

4 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

How's that work out for legality of the upgrades? Are upgrades and stat cards from a book that was available briefly and in limited quantities legal for tournament play?

Generally they aren't legal until released at retail, but individual events can make exceptions: my first tournament ever was in the gap between GenCon and general release but allowed Ripples of Fate as a special treat for pre-orders, with the warning that there would be a lot of new and unknown models seen, and painting requirement waived to nothing. After that local tournaments reverted to released and painted masters only.

I love this bad ass new Ototo!  Ototo is my favorite murder tarpit as well as one of my favorite models, and this alt art Ototo is just amazing!

I'm also super pumped for new master upgrades.  Yan Lo is gonna get a super awesome beast mode!  I wonder also about emissary upgrades for our new masters.  Asami needs cards... num num num

I'm also curious about the legality of the new master upgrades, especially for Nova Open.

And what new murder toys will my main man Lynch get!?

6 hours ago, Yvarre said:

I love this bad ass new Ototo!  Ototo is my favorite murder tarpit as well as one of my favorite models, and this alt art Ototo is just amazing!

I'm also super pumped for new master upgrades.  Yan Lo is gonna get a super awesome beast mode!  I wonder also about emissary upgrades for our new masters.  Asami needs cards... num num num

I'm also curious about the legality of the new master upgrades, especially for Nova Open.

And what new murder toys will my main man Lynch get!?

I'm just excited at the propect of von Schill getting good :P

While there are things I don't like about how to access new upgrades and I think there's room for improvement around print on demand cards, I also appreciate the fact that all we need to buy is a deck of cards rather than a codex costing several times that amount. 

I mean yes, there's the new book which costs close to the amount a WH40K codex does, but it's completely optional.  And the digital edition is a lot cheaper. 

On 7/6/2017 at 1:14 PM, WWHSD said:

How's that work out for legality of the upgrades? Are upgrades and stat cards from a book that was available briefly and in limited quantities legal for tournament play?

Sandeep was used in the tournament at Gencon last year. As soon as Gencon starts and people can buy the book, everything in it is legal as far as Wyrd is concerned.

Regarding tournaments it is pretty much down to the event organiser. if I recall correctly here in the UK any models from the Ripples of Fate book were not eligible for tourney use until the book was available on general sale. This IMO was the fairest way to do it because some and not all of the UK community didn't decide to purchase the book and get it shipped from the US etc.

As for this book, I love the cover art. It is good to see my favourite Perdita getting some shine. I am hopeful that the upgrades will be positive for the game and bring some masters back in rotation. I think equally I am looking forward to seeing what happens next in the fluff. I am really enjoying the background content for Malifaux. Lastly I would lean towards the suggestion that these representations go some distance to suggest the change since has had an affect on the masters of Malifaux.

More than ready to see some shiny new alt sculpts floating around

I can't wait to read the new fluff !

The upgrades for the former masters is very good news ! Personally, I am very eager to see the upgrades for Titania, Kaeris & Rasputina. This sends a very good signal regarding Wyrd's way of seeing the development of the game. Some other companies just forget about old releases and do not bother too much about keeping them up to date with the game evolution, considering that the sales have already been made. Not Wyrd. I am really glad the whole games is taken care of, not only the new shinies.

And then there are the new models. I have no doubt they will be nice. Regarding that, there are comments regarding the overlapping issues inside the Chronicles:

"The easiest way to bypass this bias is to make sure that every models has a distinct role in the game.
Unfortunately, as a miniatures game expands, there are only so many roles to fill. A Faction can only have so many 5 point scheme runners before any more start to feel redundant. Complicated and
unique mechanics can often create new niches for models, but then the game gets pushed further into complexity creep rather than power creep."

@AaronHow do you plan to keep on avoiding the overlapping? Isn't there a point where this is not possible? Honestly I thought Malifaux would have reached that point a lot earlier but there keeps on being interesting releases. I am really envious of the design team's imagination.

However isn't there a point where you just have to release overlapping minis and balance them so that players choose based on aesthetic, theme and fluff perspective?

Or is there a time when you plan to open design space by introducing a 5th dimension to the game's winning condition besides putting markers, positionning, immobilzing and killing?

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Matrim said:

Could we know when this book will be available on Drive Thru RPG ?

I prefer the pdf version to the paper version.

Thank you

Generally speaking, we don't release PDFs until after the brick and mortar stores have had a chance to get the books in stock and make their sales. That means that the PDFs tend to come out a few months after the initial physical release.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:31 AM, yool1981 said:

Or is there a time when you plan to open design space by introducing a 5th dimension to the game's winning condition besides putting markers, positionning, immobilzing and killing?

The secret is...a literal new dimension! You know the 3d chess sets from Star Trek? Pretty much that, but with Malifaux.

1 minute ago, esqulax said:

So the book will only be for sale at Gencon or can it also be bought online ? I am new to this. 

Anything at GenCon will also be available on their online store too, so you can get the physical book online :) the PDF will be for sale probably a couple months later

1 minute ago, esqulax said:

So the book will only be for sale at Gencon or can it also be bought online ? I am new to this. 

In the past, something available at GenCon would also appear on their webstore. That's how I got my Wild Ones box last year. :)

I don't recall if there's anything that's ever been an in-person GenCon Exclusive from Wyrd.

On 26/07/2017 at 4:48 PM, Mason said:

Generally speaking, we don't release PDFs until after the brick and mortar stores have had a chance to get the books in stock and make their sales. That means that the PDFs tend to come out a few months after the initial physical release.

Thank you for your quick answer.

As a french player, I will just have to wait a bit more to have the new upgrades. I will buy the cards as soon as they are released.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, Matrim said:

Could we know when this book will be available on Drive Thru RPG ?

I prefer the pdf version to the paper version.

Thank you

This is kind of off topic, but has Wyrd ever considered participating in the the Bits & Mortar program? Books that are purchased from a Brick and Mortar store at full price allow the purchaser to get a free download of the PDF version. It works in a similar manner to the Wyrd monthly promotions that require a certain dollar value in purchases from a FLGS.

http://www.bits-and-mortar.com/

• Like 3