Do you keep custom base theme per crew or per type?

dope_danny

So i'm new to the game, saw it for a couple of months at my local and decided to look into the fluff and it was up my alley so decided to jump in along with some friends. We aren't new to modelling however and when it came to making some bases we all had a difference of option. Friend 1 sees the game as more western than not and thinks all the bases should look the part. Friend 2 sees the game as more victorian and wants the bases to be purely more inner city not unlike Mordheim or Frostgave. Friend 3 sees the game as a mix and makes each individual model suit where she sees them being in game. E.g A gremlin on a bayou base, a rotten belle on grimy cobblestone for example.

Personally i lean a little more to the latter. But maybe leaning more to a crew having a unified theme. Like taking the start kit doctor, nurse and orderlies and putting them on some old bioshock-ey grimy tiles and drains like an 1800's hospital room that all match the characters theme rather than them being guild models or 'western vs gothic city horror'.

What's your personal take on custom bases? Do you prefer a theme for the model or for the games themes at large?

I do all my bases fairly similar, because it really annoys me using models cross-faction and then not having fitting bases. Mine are all inner-city-cobblestone-ones, but the plan is to later put some stuff for the different factions on the bases, so they look coherent and yet different.

• Like 2

Personally, I base to fit the model. This is partially because I play many wacky combinations, and if I wanted my crews to have matching bases, I would literally need to base all models on the same bases. 

I also play on a wide variety of tables, and the bases aren't going to match most of the tables. I'm starting to do some work on Base dioramas but again,  I'm hoping for the basing to fit the model, so it won't matter if I take one or 2 models from the diorama and use in a different crew. 

If you are the sort of player who will only play witch hunters with witch hunters, then basing all those models the same, and different from your Guild Marshals can Work. (And frankly on the table is you cross over base styles the only person that probably going to notice is you). 

• 2 weeks later...

I based all my guild and my few TT on city bases. I have my neverborn on forest bases with swampfiends having a lot more water on theirs but still looking much like the others through using the same colours. Cross faction models I try to mix so they will fit each faction so my mimics and illuminated have cobblestones that are broken apart by roots and some dirt so they look decent with both the city and forest bases. I'm just about to get into arcanists and I'm probably doing city bases for them too with some dirt and roots for beasts so that my constructs will fit Hoffman and Marcus can hire my neverborn beasts. 

Ibasically want my crews to look decent on the table rather than have awesome bases on individual for painting competitions and then havibg it look weird when I play.

• 1 month later...

Well I think that is generally impossible to make a bases that will match every game table that you meet in various places so it's better to not stick in this way.

In my opinion game had so many cool models which wants to be based specificly to look epick and telling the story. In generally I try to base crews in same theme to make them look like they actually acting together (in some potential plase). Of course if you mixing crews they can looks oddly but if you would think like effective player that doesn't really matter, on the other hand if you so much LOR player you probably shouldh't mix different crews )))

The other interesting option that frend of mine sticks in, is "transparent" bases with colored border ring. The model placed on clear piece of plastic so you actually see "underground" terrain wich give it feel like it is really in place whre it stands ))) and color ring make it look like video game unit which in some point is cool.

• Like 1

I started with one type of base per faction because of uniformity reasons. Almost always you will have a mix of themed models and this way - also depending on paint job - you will have a uniform appearance on the table.

However, I got bored with the same type of base for eeeevrey model in the faction and started to make bases per crew. Most minion models for example come 3 per box, and when you don't have someone to share with/sell, you might as well divide them up. Of ourse it can be hard to decide which models goes in which crew, sometimes. The second reason I did this is because the miniatures spend most of their time in the cabinet looking nice (hopefully), so having the same base and the same paintjob across faction can become very dull.

Also, you can still add detail to your bases, for example for your masters or favourite models to make them stick out more and make the overal appearance more interesting. Sometimes, you want your master to stick out more, for example, so you add something he/she can stand on.

And as it was mentioned before, I wouldn't depend my choice of base on the gaming table. You will sooner or later play on different tables if you stick to playing. There are sooooo many awesome bases, pick the ones you like and that inspire you. Just don't go Pokemonon and collect them all :P (An urge every hobbyist must leran to control :D)

• 2 months later...

I base my miniatures in an urban style, and also try to customize them. So they have both a common visual cue and the model feels at home.

For those that have a western style, for example, I add some wooden planks to the base.  And on some of my Outcast bases you can see some coins and/or pouches on the ground.

Another subtle thing that I do when basing. Wyrd's round lip bases are thinner than the regular "generic" round lip bases. I use those generic bases for my masters. They don't look out of place at all, but gives them an extra presence.

• 8 months later...

I prefer to paint the outside of the base with a colour for the faction, but the inside is thematic with the crew.
In the Von Schill crew, the outside is Ochre-ish (for the outcast), and the inside is "Urban debris" (from the citadel paint app) for the freikorps with urban uniform, and a desertic one with pigments for the ones with field uniform. (2 sets of uniforms for my Freikorp crew)

I try and base my models in theme with that particular model and where possible carry that theme across to other models that could end up working with it...that way for example if my mounted guard galloping across scrap strewn hinterland desert ends up in the city next to another model on cobblestones you can see where that character blew in from...

Visually I also really like the way some people put models on transparent bases that will obviously then fit to all boards and all scenarios...but personally I enjoy making the bases too much to go down that road...and most of all I just enjoy seeing models painted as everyone has a different take on things

• Agree 1

On 7/12/2018 at 7:14 AM, Skylifter-1000 said:

I also started doing one basing scheme for the whole faction, but by now I have moved to different bases for different crews. Depending on which crew I think the model really 'belongs to', I base them accordingly. Maybe I'll split a few of the boxes of 3 models between basing styles.

Yeah, is kind of hard to imagine the ortegas on a swamp-dark forest instead of a western - desertic place. Same thing with Parker. Or the other side, Rasputina on the desert sand...

I made a there's a few years back about my (mis)adventures in basing. Basically the moral of the story was that you want to keep things fairly uniform if you expect to field them together and want a cohesive look.

Gets quite hard as your model range expands with the overlap between crews and even factions (my Lucius can now field models from 4 factions without mercs :eyeroll:). Clear bases would be a nice way of keeping things together and future-proofing your theme. Only issue with that is I hate them.😀