New player, purchase advice needed!

Mateyo

Hey there! Newbie here not sure what to buy! I'm wanting to play Neverborn/ten thunders so I picked up the Lynch crew first. I also picked up the Asami crew (Oni wrath, but I can't find much about her so I'm not exactly sold on her yet) turtle Izamu, and the sniper model. I'm also interested in the following:

Railworkers crew with metal lions

Mixing the Yan Lo crew with Ikiryo/vengeful spirits crew. (Not sure if this is possible)

Just wondering how you guys think I should expand? Purchase advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

not a ten thunders player here, but it seems to me that you would like to go in diverse directions at once, which is probably not the best idea if you are a new player. every master you mentioned works optimally with slightly different set of models.

commenting on what you already have: Izamu the Turtle is slow but tanky beater. He does not fit particularly well any of the masters you already have, although he is one of the core models in many Yan Lo's crews. Katanaka Sniper is always good, although Lynch likes Samurai (the other TT shooter) more. Ohaguro Bettari is very good, you can use her in any crew. As for Asami, she is a summoner, so to play her effectively you will have to buy models she can summon, like Obsidian Oni (which are often seen with Mei Feng from railworkers crew box) or Jorogumo.

As for boxes you are interested in: you can pick Yan Lo, because you already have the turtle, but you cannot use Ikiryo with him: Ikiryo can be summoned only by Kirai, a master from Vengefull Spirits box. Having said that, I would not recommend you buying that box, unless you want to start playing ressurectionists. As for Mei Feng, beside Komainu (metal lions) she likes models like Obsidian Oni (summonable by Asami) or Mechanized Porkchop (Gremlin faction model).

My advice on expanding your collection:

- Ten Thunder Brothers: cheap and reliable scheme runner, works well in any crew and has some synergy with Lynch.

- Shadow Emissary: indispensable for TT players, works well with any master.

- if you want to play Lynch, Mr Graves is very handy, because of his (0) action that lets him push another model and then push himself into base contact with it. that way he can push Lynch, who has no mobility tricks of his own, into position and simultaneously increase your own mobility.

Then play some games and rethink the directions you would like to expand your collection further. Have fun!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mateyo said:

Thank you for the advice! Also does lynch work well with any of the "Asian aesthetic" models? How about Izamu? Thank you!

That all depends on what you mean with Works well together. 

You can build decent crews with him and any Ten thunders models. He hasn't got any special synergy with Izamu, but doesn't need any, there is nothing that stops them begin together and doing what they do. 

Several of the faction have effects that require them to discard cards, and Lynch can make that much less of a pain due to his ability to get discarded aces back.

My suggestion is play what you have, and see how it seems to you. You might want to build in a set way. If looks/theme is what matters to you, then yo can certainly make crews based on that "Asian aesthetic" and that would mean you would want to buy models base on look rather than effect, and at this early stage thats as good a way as any to go. You might decide you want m ore muscle, or more guns, or more movement, in which case that is what you want to buy next. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice everyone! After taking your opinions in, and doing a bit more research I've narrowed down my objectives. Ot seems I would like to focus on Lynch, and Yan Lo (and if possible support them with more "Asian" models) My collection now looks like:

Lynch Dark Debts Crew

Yan Lo Masters of the Path

Kirai Vengeful Spirits

Izamu the tortoise

Mr Graves

Mr Tannen

Yin

Toshiro

Miss Anne Thrope

(I may keep Ohaguro Bettari) does she have any synergy with Yan Lo/Lynch? 

Also, I did decide to keep the Kirai box. I know I cannot use Ikiryo, but the other units she comes with have some synergy with Yan Lo, right? Could someone give me a sample list with Yan Lo, that uses the types of models I want to use? Or even some typical "staples" of Yan Lo lists? Also, side question, I bought 5 chi markers for Yan Lo. Would I need more than that? Thank you again for your patience, and guidance! ☺️

image.jpeg

If focusing on Lynch, I'd recommend also picking up some Depleted, who work as great place holding tarpits for him.  Beckoners can also be useful in making things come to Lynch for easier and safer kills, though only in very select strat and scheme mixups.  I also find myself rarely playing Lynch without Sensei Yu because fast on either Lynch or the Hungering Darkness easily = death.  One last consideration is the favor of Jigoku Samurai for fishing for aces for Lynch's Final Debt attack and Wanna See a Trick.  It's annoying, but I've easily gone through most of or the entire deck with one samurai, picking up 4 aces and then obliterating with Lynch.  After one activation of the samurai doing that, people also tend to try to overextend to kill it, making for more easy pickings for Lynch.  I've killed McMourning and other masters. at the top of turn 2 before because they came gunning for my samurai only to meet Lynch with a full hand.